The original Heavy Lift CH-37

This just has to be the ugliest helicopter in the world which makes it all the more interesting in my opinion. I made this one a couple of years ago and can see what a great result you have achieved. The setting you've created for its display is just the job too. Great stuff :like:.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jfgred1 said:

Nice and clean model. Does it built without much troubles?

Shame they don't come in 1/48th scale...

To be fair it went together fairly well for a limited run kit. Only real trouble I had was with the transparancies, and the instructions are not always the easiest to follow. Finding one was the biggest challange.

1/48 - I'd need a bigger shelf ! This is not a small aircraft

spacer.png

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 8

Wow!  Nicely done.  I saw the real thing at Pima Air And Space Museum in AZ in exactly those colors.  What a poor-performing, overweight/underpowered beast it must have been in reality.  Did we even bother to take these to Vietnam with us, or did we (wisely) leave them in Germany?

1 hour ago, JagRigger said:

To be fair it went together fairly well for a limited run kit. Only real trouble I had was with the transparancies, and the instructions are not always the easiest to follow. Finding one was the biggest challange.

1/48 - I'd need a bigger shelf ! This is not a small aircraft

spacer.png

And yes, we all could do with a bigger shelf... :whistle:v... or even better, a special nice hangar attached to the house with workshop, stash warehouse and exhibition area...:rofl::rofl:...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

What a poor-performing, overweight/underpowered beast it must have been in reality.  Did we even bother to take these to Vietnam with us, or did we (wisely) leave them in Germany?

Yep - there is a famous picture out there of one trying to lift an H-21 out of a swamp. I know they did a fair bit of recovery work before the newer turbine powered machines appeared

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 1

Nice job on this beast! Looks like the kit is not the most challenging one? 

Also I believe this was one of the most unconventional helicopters ever. Can't really recall another one of such scheme with two engines on pylons rotating one rotor.

• Like 1

Fantastic!  I adore the strange looks of this and it is very rare to see one built up - I haven't seen the kit around for a long time.  The only way that I was able to add one to my collection was buying a diecast version and to be fair, it isn't too bad!

You are correct - it is MASSIVE!!

On 10/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, Jfgred1 said:

Shame they don't come in 1/48th scale...

Have to agree with this, I have never seen this chopper and I love it.  You have done a great job on this kit, really looks good and top notch photos too.

• Like 1

Nice work!

I worked on these in the California Army National Guard from 66 to 72, although in 71 we started getting CH-47's.  They didn't seem underpowered to me, but maybe it was just the ungodly noise two R-2800's made going full tilt in a hover.  Here's a picture I took of one in the hover, I was standing behind a parade stand because there were lots of rocks flying.  And yes, of course I've built one of the SH kits.  I thought the engine nacelles were difficult, like putting an egg shell back together again.

spacer.png

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, noelh said:

Impressive beast. I always thought CH-37 was like a cartoon version of a helicopter.

Great model.

Have you seen the scheme with the eyeballs on the engine nacelles...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Nice work!

I worked on these in the California Army National Guard from 66 to 72, although in 71 we started getting CH-47's.  They didn't seem underpowered to me, but maybe it was just the ungodly noise two R-2800's made going full tilt in a hover.  Here's a picture I took of one in the hover, I was standing behind a parade stand because there were lots of rocks flying.  And yes, of course I've built one of the SH kits.  I thought the engine nacelles were difficult, like putting an egg shell back together again.

spacer.png

Great picture ! Brings home the power ( also proves the SH tanks are way too long - may have to change them someday )