1/72 P-38J from Italeri?

Jackson Duvalier

I just stumbled onto an (expensive) offer to pre-order a 1/72 P-38J from Italeri.  A quick poke around turned up nothing further.  Does anyone know if this a new tool, or is Italeri taking a turn with someone else's moulds?  Might explain why the Academy P-38Js and MPM boxings of Academy plastic have dried up.

If it is indeed the Dragon kit, I'd avoid - I've got one sitting on my shelf of doom. I'm not saying it's a bad kit - I just ran out of filler and the will to live.

I'm letting it rot in the fervent hope that Tamiya will release a P-38 in 1/72nd.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Is the Hobby Boss kit worth considering, even though it is the L variant, or is this kit also worth a wide berth?

It isn't too bad, really.  HB have moulded it in such a way that the typical P-38 alignment issues aren't a problem.  If you consider yourself a Very Serious Modeller, you can then use the time you saved to restore detail across seams, acquire a pair of the bullet-shaped intake scoops HB missed, polish down the fine pebbly surface grain, detail the innards, etc.

15 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I just stumbled onto an (expensive) offer to pre-order a 1/72 P-38J from Italeri.  A quick poke around turned up nothing further.  Does anyone know if this a new tool, or is Italeri taking a turn with someone else's moulds?  Might explain why the Academy P-38Js and MPM boxings of Academy plastic have dried up.

It is indeed the Dragon boxing.  Personally, I found the Academy a much easier build.

Rgds

Martin

The 1/72 Hasegawa P-38 is pretty accurate. It comes with canopies and alternate cowling parts to do a P-38J/L or a P-38G/H. Unfortunately, they missed the smaller and flatter coolant radiator housings and supercharger fit of the earlier versions, but it does make a nice J/L. Just needs an aftermarket cockpit and some work in the bare wheel bays and replacing the raised panel lines with scribed ones, if you so choose. They can be had pretty cheaply on auction sites and vendors' tables. 

If you want to do one as an L, look for the external features that differ from the J- we had a pretty detailed discussion on doing the L and the Hobbyboss kit a while back, so you might look for it. The Academy kit is the way to go for a J/L and the RS kits are the best for the earlier versions, but are harder to assemble.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

I sincerely hope that Tamiya will downscale their P-38 kit. If they fail to do so it would break my heart. The various kits all have their charm but the fact remains, Tamiya still does not have a 1:72 scale Lockheed Lightning. Getting tired of Hasegawa never making any new kits just milking the cow year after year. A guy can grow old fast watching this happen. I`m not expecting Airfix to do a brand new tooled P-38, but it could of course happen.  

14 minutes ago, top turret toddler said:

I sincerely hope that Tamiya will downscale their P-38 kit. If they fail to do so it would break my heart. The various kits all have their charm but the fact remains, Tamiya still does not have a 1:72 scale Lockheed Lightning. Getting tired of Hasegawa never making any new kits just milking the cow year after year. A guy can grow old fast watching this happen. I`m not expecting Airfix to do a brand new tooled P-38, but it could of course happen. And to whoever said that Hasegawa is pretty accurate, i beg to differ. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasegawa-EGGPLANE-P-38-Lightning-Model-Kit-NEW-from-Japan/143240019898?hash=item2159c53fba:g:nn0AAOSwxNBcztTv

52 minutes ago, top turret toddler said:

I`m not expecting Airfix to do a brand new tooled P-38, but it could of course happen.  

Hi

One can only dream that airfix would do a 1:24 scale P-38 

I imagine sales would be very good 

cheers

Jerry

• Like 1