Model Factory Hiro 1/43 Jaguar XJR-9

Sabrejet

Gear lever mechanism is a series of rods, joined with small sealed UJ/CV-type joints.

012 (1)

The MFH parts (note minute PE lever arrowed) are OK, and I'll use the three bracket parts and the knob, but the rod parts are a bit bent. Yes they can be straightened, but it's easier to re-make these parts from aluminium rod & tube.

012 (2)

And here's the finished bits together.

012 (3)

Since the next bit (after the front suspension) will be mainly bodywork (and never a bad idea to fit check), I put the main body panels on.

012 (6)

012 (7)

Then a bit of a tidy up, painted the gear mech, added the oil tank and vent tank plus a bit of hosing etc. I also managed to find a 10 cent Euro coin (remember coins?) to provide some scale.

012 (4)

012 (5)

Might be a while til the next update so hope you enjoy this one.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, silver911 said:

Very much enjoyed the update...and getting a real buzz from seeing such intricate work done so well in a scale I could never contemplate attempting.

Respect

Ron

Give one a go! I can't get enough of them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy doing a bit of research lately so the modelling has taken a back seat. However things are moving along in the background. Before moving on to the front end, I needed to deviate from the instructions a bit and sort out the bodywork. Since the front suspension attaches to the main part of the tub section, I made the decision that it would be easier to get the body colour on first rather than attaching the suspension and worrying about complex masking and/or knocking bits off.

So these are the main painted parts, minus the rear wing, prepped for paint:

014 (1)

Couple of bits of PE need to be attached before the paint goes on...

014 (2)

014 (4)

And the mirrors on the front clip:

014 (3)

Then I temporarily taped them all together for primer and white:

014 (5)

Then a fit check again.

014 (6)

Looks OK!

014 (7)

Then masked-up, ready for paint (which will be Zero Paints ZP-1016 "Silk Cut Purple Jaguar Racing").

014 (10)

Then painted. It started raining as I got the airbrush out, so into the garage and why didn't I think of that before? Duh.

014 (11)

Then all the bits disassembled again.

014 (12)

And a conundrum. MFH suggests Tamiya TS-37 Lavender for the 'Silk Cut' shade, and apparently it's a match for the plastic kits of the XJR-8. However Zero Paints have matched the colour to the actual car, and in fact the colour also seems to match the MFH decals (only outlines for the coloured areas are provided). However, when I did a colour comparison it looks like the Tamiya colour is a better match. I can only assume that it's my flash photo skewing things, but either way the Zero paint is staying.

014 (13)

• Like 10

Beautiful, precise work......which it needs to be with these tiny things.  If you don't mind me asking.......can you tell me what camera/set up you use to photograph 1/43 stuff.

I don't know much about photography and struggle to get decent, sharp photos of 1/43 detail parts.....

8 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Beautiful, precise work......which it needs to be with these tiny things.  If you don't mind me asking.......can you tell me what camera/set up you use to photograph 1/43 stuff.

I don't know much about photography and struggle to get decent, sharp photos of 1/43 detail parts.....

Roger,

Nothing special in my  case: I have a Lumix TZ-70 snappy camera, which I set to macro zoom in 'P' mode (i.e. not Auto) and that's really all I do. I find it works best in natural light, which is a bit of a challenge at the moment. Then the other thing I do is try to find a contrasty background, which in my case is either a pine table, a piece of titanium sheet (don't ask) or the back of my laptop!

David Bailey would be disgusted I'm sure :)

14 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I have a Lumix TZ-70 snappy camera, which I set to macro zoom in 'P' mode (i.e. not Auto) and that's really all I do.

Thanks for that. Seems to have a large zoom range, probably useful for photographing the microscopic stuff which I always struggle with.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Escaflowne said:

A pleasure to see a such building, MFH's have very best kit.

Of course mainly the builder.

I haven't yet the luck to build one of them at the 1/43rd (one of my favorite scale)

Great work

Give them a go - this is my third and won't be the last! :)

• Like 1

I find the neatening-up of oversprayed areas very satisfying, and this is the main tub part, now painted with its interior colour:

015 (1)

Then the customary fit check...

015 (3)

015 (5)

Doors have had a bit of work. MFH strangely doesn't include any interior detail - maybe because the doors are meant to be fitted closed or left off? I aim for mine to be shown open or closed and so the interior strengthening had to be made:

015 (6)

015 (7)

Those were a bit tricky because obviously the additional parts can't hinder the door being closed. It does work.

Another bit of LM 1988 trivia. I've only seen this on the '88 cars. Each had its chassis number painted in small numerals on the inside of each door. This is the No.2 car, chassis #488:

And this is the No.3 car, chassis #287:

015 (8)

So I shall have to find some small numerals for that part. Also visible is the door cable and handle: on most cars nowadays the handle is bare aluminium but on the '88 LM cars the handle was red. Another bit to note.  More soon!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sabrejet changed the title to Model Factory Hiro 1/43 Jaguar XJR-9
On 20/11/2020 at 21:46, Sabrejet said:

Give them a go - this is my third and won't be the last! :)

Hi Sabrejet,

Thanks for your advice, 🙏 I order a Mazda 787 B from MFH at the 1/43rd for Christmas

Good work this paint on the body

• Like 1