Model Factory Hiro 1/43 Jaguar XJR-9

Sabrejet

40 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Same here, I love 80's touring cars so have just really enjoyed the Gerry Marshall sprint race - although joint owning a '79 1275GT hillclimb car with my son, seeing that gorgeous little Mini end up on it's roof did bring a tear to my eye! (I was struck though by how much better the underneath of that car looked than ours...!! :) )

Keith

It'll polish out :)

21 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

The Group C Jags? They were on just before the Lavant cup.

No doubt. It was on the race card but a no-show for the YouTube stream. I wouldn't mind but we've had two lots of drifting, two lots of F1 demos and the most exciting cars of the meeting get not a jot. It is often the case at FoS that the Red Arrows do their display at the same time as the sportscar runs. Thus you can't hear the commentary and have to put up with people standing up to see the aircraft. I just wish they'd put the F1 and Red Arrows on at the same time so I could take a loo break!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

ANd I'm sure I just saw Porsche 956 #117 in the paddock! 

There's a Porsche at Le Mans demo scheduled as the last thing tonight - 17.55, only on the website live stream according to the timetable.

I'm watching on my laptop, the missus has got something called football on the telly... :shrug:

• Confused 1

Engine then. Not that many parts, but the gearbox assy and rear suspension will add to the tally.

005 (1)

And some beautiful (but tiny) bits of PE.

005 (2)

Detail on these parts is gorgeous.

005 (3)

Hopefully time for some clean-up and primer today.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Really good looking parts, don't see many WM ones that look that nice.

Keith

Definitely a case of "you get what you pay for". On another subject (and for the benefit of @Bengalensis), I just received Le Mans Miniatures' 1/24 lift-off Dauer Porsche 962 and it's the best-smelling kit I've bought in many a year!

• Like 2

So let's talk rocker covers. There have been numerous versions and modern cars have a couple of variations too. Most common is the one that says 'Jaguar V12' and 'TWR' along the length.

006 (1)

Usually the script was highlighted as bare aluminium. The car below has a modern quick-release pre-heater connection on the water header tank too:

006 (2)

But the 1988 Le Mans cars were very different: for one, there was no 'TWR' script cast into the rocker cover (though I'm not sure why) and also there was a very prominent Refrasil-type heat shield on each side. There was a small 'window' in each heat shield, presumably so that header discolouration or heat monitoring could be done. The latter item is not included in the kit (and also absent from some other '88 Le Mans XJR kits I've seen). I can't recall seeing this heat shield at any other race, so may be unique to that year's 24 Hours. Luckily Jaguar's preserved car retains the originals and I'll be making these for the kit as removable parts.

006 (2a)

So here are the engine parts just about painted.

006 (4)

006 (8)

006 (10)

This is the underside of the airbox, most of which won't be seen. But it's nice to know it's there!

006 (12)

And then the injection trumpets, which will be hidden under a PE air filter, which can be detached to show these off. The filter needs to be PE to get scale thickness.

006 (11)

Time to glue some bits together.

• Like 4

A bit of XJR trivia. These three photos show the same car believe it or not:

Chassis 186 at the Shell Gemini 1000 in 1986 (camera Zenith SLR, poor weather)

a 006 386 (2)

Then for the 1988 Le Mans it was the No.21 car but now in XJR-9 guise and renumbered as Chassis 188. This it it more recently at Goodwood FoS, restored to its 1988 LM configuration but with decidedly non-standard dive planes (digital camera, can't recall which one).

c 006 188 (20)

And then finally renumbered again for the 1991 Le Mans as an XJR-12 with chassis number 991 and race number 34. Note the shed tyre and departed wheel spat. This was during practice on Thursday I think. Different Zenit camera but still nowhere near as good as a basic digital. Oh for a time machine.

b 006 991 (5)

I suspect this may have been one of the longest-served XJRs though I seem to recall one of the other 1986 chassis being present at the 1990 Le Mans.

• Like 3

Bit more XJR-ography and an example of why restored cars aren't always a good source of references. This is chassis #1090 (the 1990 Le Mans winner) during the race, with Brundle aboard. Not that the door carries the names of Nielsen/Cobb/Salazar; Brundle wasn't expected to drive the No.3 Jaguar and Salazar was held back until it seemed likely that the No.3 car was going to win. At that point Brundle was put in the car and the rest is history.

001 010 1090 (9)

But post-race a bit of history re-writing was done and Salazar's name was removed from the door of this car, which appeared at the 1990 Abingdon air show.

001 014 190 (4)

That car wasn't even the LM winner, but that year's No.4 car, painted to look like the '90 winner and with a few changes for the sake of public understanding no doubt.

Anyway the engine is up together.

008 (1)

008 (2)

008 (3)

008 (4)

008 (5)

008 (6)

And a quick plonk into the chassis to make sure it all fits - which miraculously it does!

008 (11)

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done an update for a while but I have been busy! Next bit is the gearbox and rear suspension: as ever, it's a mix of white metal and PE.

009 (7)

But again, MFH posts some dodgy colour information. This time it's the rear beam assembly E32/E33, which provides the top mounts for the shock absorbers. MFH suggest that you polish these items when in fact the beam is darkish gunmetal on the actual car (which weathers to dark purple).

009 (8)

009 (8a)

Ah well no-one's perfect. Here is the painted and assembled lot. It's balanced on the engine here, hence the strange view...

010 (1)

And I hopped forward a bit and put the rear casing and wing supports on.

010 (2)

010 (3)

Exhausts next.

• Like 8

Exhausts on! One thing I did want to point out, and does happen with white metal kits like this, is that constant handling can't be avoided. So my experience is that sharp corners often end up losing paint (circled below). This is especially the case on bits where it's natural to pick it up. As parts get added, those places get fewer and fewer... Anyway I will attempt to touch-up any glaring spots, but will probably wait til the end to do a final tidy.

011 (1)

I've also added a few cables and hoses in preparation for adding oil tanks etc.

011 (2)

011 (3)

011 (5)

A few small but time-consuming parts to do before I go on to the front end, like gear shift mechanism and a bit of plumbing. But it's all very therapeutic 🤪 

• Like 10