Large scale Hurricane

Monty Python

After a 1/24 scale Hurricane but cannot decide between the old Airfix kit or one of the Trumpeter offerings. Anybody built the Trump kit and if so, is it worth paying the extra over the Airfix kit.

TIA

Depends what you want. 

Believe it or not the Trumpeter kit stomps all over the Airfix kit shapewise. 

I have a IIc trop I got really cheap as the cockpit is missing, and whoever did the research in this really nailed the main shapes.

The Airfix kit a 'too scale' engine and gun bays, and so the nose and wing are too deep to accommodate this, so the spinner is too big.   There are other ones, wing tips are wrong,  these I think can be fixed, but the rear fuselage is correct in outline,  the under fillet is too deep, so the actual fuselage near the fin is too shallow. This is a much harder fix.

Despite the comments, It does look the part, and build with an exposed engine,  which is good, and can be detailed up very impressively,  makes a very impressive model.

But , I suspect the Trumpeter is  an easier build,  as it has less open panels.

It has some minor issues, I really don't like the recessed rivets , and the tyres are warbird black tread, and they get the rad core wrong, and I expect the decals are worthless. 

If it doesn't have to be that big (and a 1/24th Hurricane has a 20 inch wing span)  the Fly 1/32nd kit has really good shape and surface detail, as in the right rivets.

Do ask for any clarifications. 

HTH

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. Having built the Airfix kit many many moons ago I know about the issues but also know that Trumpeter screws up on a lot of their kits in one way or another. 

The Trumpeter kit is fundamentally and massively superior to the Airfix kit. Trumpeter in 1/24 and Fly in 1/32 are the good large scale Hurricane kits, the alternatives in those scales are not really worth building any more.

I would not say the same for the 1/24 Ju-87 market where I still consider the Airfix kit excellent.

I think there a few thing to take into consideration here,

1. How far do you want to take it in terms of accuracy, do you want a perfect example or are you OK for something that is pretty damn well close?

2. How far are you willing to go in terms of ease or difficulty of the build? A lot of the fun is in the challenge of the build. Also 1/24 is perfect for adding detail whether scratch built or from upgrade kits, the worlds your oyster

I cannot comment on the Trumpeter as Ive never built or seen one of their kits though I have seen mixed reviews, however, a short while ago I completed a 1/24 Airfix Hurricane, the first kit since the late 90's (purchased at the time) and for a kit of its age there were difficulties but an absolute joy. I hesitantly posted this recently on 'Ready for inspection' and was stunned and overwhelmed by the reaction. 

This is obviously my own personal view.  If you decide to go for the Trumpy I would be interested to know your thoughts, plus of course it would be an excuse for SWMBO to buy one 😱🤣

Si

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

I cannot comment on the Trumpeter as Ive never built or seen one of their kits though I have seen mixed reviews

Trumpeter, and Hobby Boss (apparently they are different floors in the same factory) make well engineered kits,  not Tamiya, but they build well and easily, just depends on the level of research,  classic garbage in-garbage out scenario.

Apparently they had an external researcher do the Hurricane,  and whoever they got, did a really good job on the shapes,m and Hurricanes are odd things, very simple up until they become rather complex,  and there are several subtle shape issues that are often wrong.

I'm still learning about them all the time, one point, if you read something on here from the 5 years about Hurricanes that contradicts all the books and references,  what is on here is right, and the references are wrong.   Have a read of the All the Hurricane questions to see what I mean.

On a test fit, it looks to build up easily,  though it should be noted the engine is poorly done.

The really weird thing is they never scaled it down,  as it would still be the best 1/48th Hurricane, and until the Arma Hoby kit, the best 72nd Hurricane...

54 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

or are you OK for something that is pretty damn well close?

the Airfix is not close, though  it looks the part, in as much as a slightly distorted photo looks from the lens used,  but if you put it next to a Trumpeter one, the issues I detail above would be very obvious, and this pains me  to say as I LOVED the Airfix kit in my youth and considered it one of the best kits ever,  and it was only after reading about the Trumpy, 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/21940-airfix-vs-trumpeter-124-hurricane/

getting that, and then blowing up the Bentley plans it all became clear.

Built opened up and with some added pipes and wires it still has a WOW!  factor as your build showed, but if you want an accurate shape, it going to be a load of work,  though leaving the engine panels off removes those shape issues.

Just to be clear, the wing is about 2mm too deep head on, and this carries on through the lower nose, and makes the nose ring, and thus the spinner made to fit this, all too big.

I have a couple I got really cheap to play with at some point.....  how cheap.... a mate phoned me from the tip, where they have a shop, said they have a slightly started Airfix Hurricane,  interested?  I asked how much....  a quid... Only slightly started and a bit or two missing.  the other was also a slight start and I got that and two slight start Airfix 109E's for £10.... 

So, at some point (probably 2027 knowing me) I wanted to have a hack and see about fixes...  The hard one I suspect will be the rear fuselage as blending in changes to the fabric is tricky.     Airfix have a long history with never really getting the Hurricane right,  over 7 kits in 3 scales and 50 years....

I know, I know, I should get out more, but these days apparently staying in the the done thing.....

cheers

T  

• Like 2

T

You have made my day with your last comment🤣makes me want to go out and get a Trumpy, sorry order one online as we are not allowed out anymore😱😂 

Like you it will be about 2027 before I would get around to do it so we could hook up then and see how we goes maybe?

Take care & safe

Si

• Like 1