Spitfire Mk XVI TE 184

So, hopefully worked out how to upload pics!  This is a then and now kind of thing I did.  As mentioned on my Newbie Cheshire post, I'm no Rembrandt when it comes to painting models but I enjoy building maybe one every year or so.  My Dad flew TE184 in 1948 and the owner has been very kind in allowing me and my family time to look over the aircraft.  After some research I built the 48th scale Revell high back Mk XVI as she was the other year (she's in different markings now).  I then built the Eduard low back XVI and finished her in the colours she wore on her last flight with the RAF in the early fifties. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Sorry chaps.  New to this forum and haven't uploaded images via a URL before.  Any tips to prevent the pics disappearing would be welcome.  Used Microsoft One Drive as suggested in the forum help section.  Doh!!  For what it's worth I can still see 'em but that probably means nothing.  Cheers  😕 

Ok, so this no picture thing might be down to me being a plank.  Hopefully these will be visible.  A selection of the models and the real thing!  Both then and now (well, recently anyway before the owner had the thing re-painted just as I'd finished the model!!)

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

Thank you all.  Re the crossed out numbers fubar!  As you'll know TE184 is the serial code of the aircraft.  Once its struck off charge, demobbed if you like, the airframe might be allocated a 'maintenance serial'.  So in this case, they've allocated the M serial and put it above the old serial.  This particular Spitfire was struck off charge because it made a wheels up landing in the early fifties and was not deemed worthy of repair back to flying status.  It ended up as gate guardian to an ATC unit, hence the colour photo, where it started to slowly rot.  It's history is well documented on the web but in short, it was rescued and eventually restored to static display status, then eventual airworthiness. 

You'll note it started life as a low back clipped wing version.  It was converted to it's current high back fuselage by Booker Aircraft Services some years ago.  As mentioned at the top of my post, my interest stems from my Dad flying this aircraft in 1948/49 while at gunnery school.

• Like 1

The photo of TE184 showing the crossed out serial is interesting for that alone, normally these were painted over or removed entirely when an “M” number was allocated.  Secondly the “M” number should have the M at the end, e.g. 7933M.

I really like the display of the same aeroplane at different times in its life, it’s something that I’ve thought of doing but never got round to but should really get on with doing.

Agreed Stever and thanks for the extra gen re the M number.  In fact it was that photo that prompted the idea, its full of great detail. An unusual shot. The latest scheme TE184 wears is as a clipped wing MkIX with invasion stripes.  Maybe I’ll tackle that once I’ve finished the 1/24 Airfix Hurri I’m fighting with! 🙂 

Great idea , lovely models and great work,  I wouldn't mind the Eduard Kit myself,  bur the stash is big enough, and SWMBO is getting wise to my tricks for sneaking new kits into the stash!!!

Great work, glad you got the pics sorted out.

Chris