1/72 Air Conversions Hunter T7

TOPGUN88

Good evening folks. I found the above conversion kit and just wondered if anyone knew if this was for the airfix FGA9 kit. Also is it a yes or no for a good representation of the 2 seater? 

I'd suggest this predates the airfix FGA9, and was produced for the original airfix F6 kit, or possibly the Frog kit. 

As airfix modified the F6 tooling to get the FGA9 it should fit the later kit as well.

This is a late 70's conversion kit and will no doubt be very basic.

I like it.  it's simple and a pretty good shape overall.    Not much you can do with the cockpit though as it's a tiny space.  Here's mine on, IIRC, a Frog FGA9 (yes I know it's not a great Hunter representation)  although the instructions specify the original Airfix F6.

David

spacer.png

David

• Like 3

The FROG Hunter FGA 9 is a little bit overscaled.

In the past, Matchbox made a two seater with his Hunter kit.

It is not the best representation for a 2 seater, but you can have look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/11890725426/in/photolist-qhZ3cJ-j7K5pm-afGZwy-97qJrH

My information is, the moulds are not in Revells hands and got lost. 

modelldoc

22 hours ago, David Womby said:

I like it.  it's simple and a pretty good shape overall.    Not much you can do with the cockpit though as it's a tiny space.  Here's mine on, IIRC, a Frog FGA9 (yes I know it's not a great Hunter representation)  although the instructions specify the original Airfix F6.

David

spacer.png

David

nice build David and thanks for the info. I picked it up for 7 quid on evilbay so just wondered how it went. I did buy it thinking it would be for the airfix kit as I have an FGA9. 

Modelldoc. That is also a nice hunter. I have made a matchbox, revell + odds and ordnance conversion which I still have a T8M in my stash with more revell kits. also going to have a go at the xtrakit which I know is a bit tricky. I just wanted something to work with my airfix kit that I've had for a few years. 

Edited by TOPGUN88

On 10/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, modelldoc said:

The FROG Hunter FGA 9 is a little bit overscaled.

In the past, Matchbox made a two seater with his Hunter kit.

It is not the best representation for a 2 seater, but you can have look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/11890725426/in/photolist-qhZ3cJ-j7K5pm-afGZwy-97qJrH

My information is, the moulds are not in Revells hands and got lost. 

modelldoc

The Matchbox Hunter two-seater nose shape is completely inaccurate and should be avoided. THe windscreen angle is too steep. I have built several FROG Hunter FGA.9 kits using the Air Conversions two-seater nose conversion which fits perfectly and is an accurate shape. 

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

I had a look in my files and there was the instruction sheet from 1975, scanned recently when I was disposing of decomposing paper files. 

The kit was designed for the Airfix Hunter F.6, specified in the instructions.  Like Airfix kits of the era, packaging was a simple cardboard header stapled to a poly bag holding the few parts.  The instructions were printed on the inside.  There was a small side view showing the location of the cut to remove the nose and an outline of the tail fairing to be used as a template.  You had to source your own 60 thou card for that.

The parts amounted to a great lump of nose from just ahead of the engine intakes, plus a fairing for the upper fuselage.  It was in a quite hard white plastic and you were instructed to use polystyrene cement .  There must have been a canopy though it isn't illustrated. 

The price sticker shows I bought it for $1.99 at Hobby House in Ottawa.  The date code on the sticker was 1975.

• Like 1