Kinetic 1/48 BAe SEA HARRIER FRS. 1

spacer.png

Hi there!

After almost a 20 years hiatus... I return to this beautiful youth hobby a few months ago, and decided to give it a go with some old WWII kits (Tamiya's Wildcat, for instance). However, during the reading of the excellent book written by Commander Nigel David "Sharkey" Ward I wonder to build several english and argentinian aircraft on a "Falklands/Malvinas" serie.

I chose the Kinetic 1/48 scale BAe SEA HARRIER FRS. 1 to start the fires. Here are some photos of its process and the final results. PS: this was the second jet that I painted with acrylics... and I loved the results! Cris. PS 2: SuE is on it's way!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Cris Garcia
add photos
  • Like 6

Few problems with the Harrier weapon load.

1.The Sea Eagle missile was not used in the Falklands, it was not yet in service. Also the markings on the missile indicate its a flight trials missile, not a live round. Two drop tanks were standard fit.

2. The SHAR carried a 1000lb bomb on the centreline that was usually toss bombed onto Stanley airfield when going on CAP, not a 600lb BL755 cluster bomb as you have depicted. (You can't toss bomb a cluster weapon!)

3.Slight painting error on the sidewinders, the yellow band should be on the warhead section not at the top of the rocket motor.

Otherwise nice build!

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Few problems with the Harrier weapon load.

1.The Sea Eagle missile was not used in the Falklands, it was not yet in service. Also the markings on the missile indicate its a flight trials missile, not a live round. Two drop tanks were standard fit.

2. The SHAR carried a 1000lb bomb on the centreline that was usually toss bombed onto Stanley airfield when going on CAP, not a 600lb BL755 cluster bomb as you have depicted. (You can't toss bomb a cluster weapon!)

3.Slight painting error on the sidewinders, the yellow band should be on the warhead section not at the top of the rocket motor.

Otherwise nice build!

Selwyn

Thanks for your comments Selwyn!

Regarding the Sea Eagle, you are absolutely right. The missile was not used in the war, but it was test before the conflict, and I decided to add it to show all the SHAR capabilities. About the cluster bomb, it was the only one that came with the kit (to be displayed at the centreline) and it was used thoroughly thru the war (as documented on "Air War South Atlantic" by Jeffrey Etthel & Alfred Price). On the Sidewinder, did not know that detail, thanks again!

Edited by Cris Garcia
mispell

8 hours ago, Cris Garcia said:

Thanks for your comments Selwyn!

Regarding the Sea Eagle, you are absolutely right. The missile was not used in the war, but it was test before the conflict, and I decided to add it to show all the SHAR capabilities. About the cluster bomb, it was the only one that came with the kit (to be displayed at the centreline) and it was used thoroughly thru the war (as documented on "Air War South Atlantic" by Jeffrey Etthel & Alfred Price). On the Sidewinder, did not know that detail, thanks again!

I think you find that the cluster bombs were used mainly by the RAF GR3 harriers not the SHARS.

Selwyn

16 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I think you find that the cluster bombs were used mainly by the RAF GR3 harriers not the SHARS.

Selwyn

No, you can find in Jeffrey Etthel & Alfred Price 's book, chapter 3 'Looks like we've got a job of work, fellers..." several mentions of the extended use of cluster bombs by the SHARS.