Airfix Spitfire Mk.1a

Hi all,

Ordinarily I'm a figure painter/armour modeller but had a lockdown urge to build an aircraft; bit of a cliche I know but I chose the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire. Just wanted something quick and with nothing additional required, just something out of my comfort zone and to use skills that I don't normally use.

20200927_162441.jpg

Must admit I really enjoyed this, reminded me of the time I used to buy these decades ago with my pocket money and build them on a rainy afternoon. Pleased to say my modelling has improved somewhat since the last time I built one of these !

Got a real interest in doing a few more of these little fighters now so I will post progress as it happens.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by Andy Evans
Fix Picture Links
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this looks great, fab work a lovely stand.  It it powered or have you got a hairdryer on it ?

Chris

Thanks Chris. No such trickery, just an empty airbrush blowing on it. Although I did replace the prop shaft with brass rod/tube so it spins a bit more freely.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Superb! The pilot in particular looks very realistic from this angle. I'd love to see some more photos.

Thanks Ian. He is a little distorted by the thickness of the glazing but I turned the head slightly to add a little interest.

Few more pictures:

20200926_183509.jpg

20200927_162954.jpg

20201014_142630.jpg

20201014_142712.jpg

Edited by Andy Evans
Fix Picture Links
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Is it just me or is anyone else not seeing images?  I just get a gray circle, with a gray disc and a white dash in it.

No, I can't see anything either.

Brilliant work!  Makes my build (same kit & decals) look extremely ordinary.

14 hours ago, Andy Evans said:

………...but I turned the head slightly to add a little interest.

I would never have thought of that - a great idea to add some extra dynamism to the build!

:thumbsup:

Edited by kapam