Airfix 1/48 109E as Helmut Mertens' "Black 12" (belly landing on May 12th, 1940)

elger

Some years ago I came across the concept art by Jakub Rozalski. Some of his work pertains to a re-imagining of the 20s, 30s, and 40s with robots.

8R8MxzR.jpg

In my early teenage years I visited the casemate museums at Kornwerderzand several times. These weren't bunkers, I vividly remember the guide telling us on our first visit, but casemates. Kornwerderzand on the western shore end of the Afsluitdijk was one of the rare strongholds that was able to withstand the invasion of Nazi-Germany in May 1940.

NgsDCb4.jpg

Nazi-Germany invaded on May the 10th, 1940 and reached Kornwerderzand on Sunday May 12th. The units there held out until the bombing of Rotterdam on May 14th forced the Dutch government to surrender - much to the dismay of the defending units at Kornwerderzand. 

There was a line of defense to the east ahead of the casemates at Kornwerderzand. It consisted of trenches and dugouts and was known as the "Wons Stelling".

UztmkHI.png

This line of defense was no match for the invading army and was quickly overrun on the 12th, with heavy losses on the Dutch side.

Lehrgeschwader 2 was one of the units that provided close-air support. This was a unit that wasn't actually a training unit, but a "mixed-formation [unit] tasked with the operational evaluation of new types of aircraft and/or with the development/evaluation of new operational tactics or practices". Messerschmitt 109E-3 "Black 12" was flown by Leutnant Helmut Mertens on the 12th.

Presumably, as Mertens made a low pass over the Wons Stelling and his aircraft was hit by small arms fire. (There were no anti-aircraft weapons there). A single bullet hit the fuel line and the engine ground to an immediate halt. Mertens made a successful belly landing just outside of the village of Pingjum.

flNC6Jr.jpg

The aircraft was lightly damaged and was sent to the factory in Leipzig for repairs and returned to frontline service by August 1940.

Pingjum is used by the German army units as a temporary base and launch various unsuccessful attacks on Kornwerderderzand the next few days - that is, until the capitulation of the Netherlands, officially on May 15th 1940.

I'm planning a small diorama and the main feature will be the Airfix 1/48 109E kit.

2R5ac8C.jpg

The Airfix kit is relatively cheap and captures the look of the 109 really well (better in my opinion than the competition). You can also build pretty much every E variant from each box, which is good value for money. Detail is a bit sparse and soft, and those panel lines are rather awful - I'm trying to reduce them a bit.

3Qjif5M.jpg

I added some parts of Eduard's Zoom cockpit set, as well as a resin seat from SBS and a resin control stick from CMK. I painted the cockpit with Mig Ammo, Vallejo, and Games Workshop acrylics.

uQLxE7B.jpg

FP1miae.jpg

Read to close up the fuselage :)

I've also started working on the figures:

uFxJUPV.jpg

Three are resin and two are from Tamiya's "German Infantry on Maneuvers" set.

Thanks for looking - updates will follow... 

• Like 14

• elger changed the title to Airfix 1/48 109E as Helmut Mertens' "Black 12" (belly landing on May 12th, 1940)

Elger,
Nice work.
Your man third from the left is carrying an MG tool kit on the right hand side of his belt, but is carrying a Gewehr 43 over his shoulder.
Should he be carrying an MG 34 or maybe a Kar 98?
My apologies for nit picking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kais said:

Elger,
Nice work.
Your man third from the left is carrying an MG tool kit on the right hand side of his belt, but is carrying a Gewehr 43 over his shoulder.

Love the nit picking! I'll see if I can replace the rifle. Did anyone notice I glued the wrong left arms on the cream coloured resin figures? Neither did I until I started painting them :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. While the Airfix kit can be built wheels up - it has parts for the main gear in that position, the tailwheel is weighted which is incompatible with that option. I fixed this by laminating some sheet styrene, and then sanding the wheel to shape.

WDRNDvD.jpg

XKCPtHS.jpg

The main airframe has been assembled and primed. I reduced the heavy panel lines by blasting the main parts with 5 layers of Tamiya primer from a spray can - really up close and thick (the way you're not supposed to prime). After drying, I sanded the primer off, and ran a q-tip with a bit of Mr Leveling Thinner along all the panel lines because I was afraid I had obliterated them completely. Now they are actually nice and subtle under a thin coat of black Mr Surfacer (also from a spray can this time).

lCYZoqo.jpg

The main canopy doesn't fit very well which is rather disappointing. The canopy is about 0,5 mm more narrow than the fuselage, leaving a rim on the side where it meets the fuselage.

Plodding on regardless - until the next update!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Decals added - aircraft markings mostly from the spares box; stencils from the Airfix kit.

mthYbXK.jpg

ktkwoxv.jpg

ZPxgMry.jpg

Up next: some light weathering and some dirt on the underside to simulate the effects of the belly landing.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The aircraft is mostly finished. I weathered it lightly with oils and an enamel pin wash. Mud was made with Mig and AK interactive enamels mixed heavily with dark brown pigment powder to give it texture.

z2LwyPd.jpg

ZPJTlwH.jpg

3N2DvCE.jpg

QTl492q.jpg

WxwDVB0.jpg

Next up I'll finish the base and the figures. Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Inching closer to the finish with this project.

Making the base was fun - but more difficult than I thought in the end. I started by laminating pieces of Ikea insulation foam board pieces together:

cr139HE.jpg

The water was made with Mig "Acrylic Water" - which works okay. I tried making thin layers but they started cracking almost every time as they dried. Eventually a top layer remained mostly intact, but then I still added a layer of Future to make the water look more reflective. I invested in a static grass applicator to make the grass stand up - nice to do this sort of stuff for a change I have to admit :)

Ydt4vvA.jpg

I also finished the figures - painted mostly with Vallejo acrylics (from the Panzer Aces range for the skin tones). I used a black and brown filter made with Future to add shadows.

oSN8uZV.jpg

Going to put all the things together asap - RFI thread will follow. Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Kais said:

Elger,
Nice work.

Sorry I was not able to replace the rifle!