Tamiya 1/35 Churchill MkVII: First Build...

Hi,

I have followed all the builds shown on here but never been brave enough to put any of mine up, so this is my first one.

I have come back to modelling. I guess like many as a lad I used to make models all the time and then as other priorities took over I stopped. Now I have come back to it and for the first time have started to think about weathering and using different paints etc. This is the first model that I have tried using oils and different oil washed etc. I don't think the tank has turned out too bad but all hints, tips and comments welcome. Figures are a bit of a nemesis, so don't look too closely! I think the uniforms are OK-ish, but the flesh / faces are a very messy! More to learn...

Anyway, pictures:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking forward to the next one now... With no, or far fewer figures!!! 

• Like 27

Looks great. An old Tamiya kit but a goodie! I like the 'heavy metal' effect you've achieved.

A couple of suggestions on the figures - always try and rub down the moulding seams with a bit of sandpaper or a sanding stick. And, I suggest, give them a coat of matt varnish. 

Welcome back to the hobby! 

Thanks for your comments.

I agree on the figures, the seams seem to pop out more in the pictures and certainly need a sand down. I also think I need to invest in new glasses and a magnifying glass!! The intervening 30-40 years since making these as a kid and now have not been kind!! :)

Plenty to try out on the next ones!

Nicely done for your first attempt in many years. I always used to struggle painting figures then one day it just 'clicked' I'm no figure painting expert by any means but i like the results i get. I tend to use Games Workshop paints and washes for the skin tones. Lots of vids on the tube 😉

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, I think it turned out OK, lots that can be improved but the main thing is that it was fun to build. I think the figures in part photograph better than they actually are!

I'm on to another one now... No figures :) but as a kit much more fiddly... And, I think its going to take a while to get anywhere near finished.