Hello gents, I finished this in April - it's a Fujimi 1/20 kit plus an aftermarket kit - by "FMD", who was new to me.  The kit caught my eye because of the aftermarket kit which had of lots of etch and white metal.  Around the first of the year, I went on an F1 binge - if inexpensive and interesting, I bought it - and this qualified - the car, an Ebay F1, and clearance sale on aftermarket, maybe $50 USD? perfect - and it turned out pretty well - please see below:

t7s2zj1GnOjP0pbnN3Q1CQZyBpF3Fqt4xkDA2Q6Q

r5WtUh_gqH7pkGTjxcbScVu5PinO-DQFn_KuabzD

f_v_Db74XSSaF618IFPAev2VhwRmBnTp3OFQAspr

urGbjysLbLaQqBDE5JB0WTyYW_KqOiosapelbpIa

The paint is Vallejo Model Air with Alclad Aqua Gloss II clear coat - worked fine  

Aoz5E-ftTYT74LDSZc1Cae-hgcB3m1wt4O4LlMYz

And without the body.  The aftermarket kit included some elaborate etch - actually, quite a handful to use, but I like the results:

Dp4oy_uIk_0b5l57_dw3hBpBEgdB8yKAVFq-aGBM

vvXpdOqCKZg5aW7UaRr4_skTvmt0f5jnLbBhiZE-

GPcGLj6GvL-6UTucpDZNwgoeC3RJ4smGXc-PZZe9

zAT9O-JG-VTs0666xSdRLHLIecTVuSHOlpth6rnm

Y46A5oScmdi8kKAQyN9W_NoSD_HgLpCaY1DfQJuo

Y5RAOIesBt5xudbspF0QaSSs5Jicy31Q2wihHrsE

8Q1xdbZrDaHSi1CxRoDbrMgwYqlu6PFreDXz41MW

NnX8xmpyMfhCd8NUCmZxti-dESXiAkpQ4YwsWip6

E9sBmbs87YnEr5mil6r0piI12WisO-ErnMigFK4r

I'm not an F1 expert at all, and I've gathered this car might not be particularly beloved, but it was a fun build.  I think a guy could do worse - 

Thanks for having a look - 

Nick  

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 19
  • Stickframe changed the title to 1/20 Ferrari 126 C2 build

Hi model builders, thanks for taking a look and some likes.  I've got to say, I really enjoyed this build.  The combo of Fujimi and FMD worked pretty well, and certainly made the build more interesting.

Cheers

Nick 

I think it’s a gorgeous looking car, and your model (and the photography) is fantastically detailed .....and impressive.
In the causes of balance, I offer one minor criticism, which is to work on removing the seams on the (front) tyres.

Other than that, it’s perfect!

Lovely looking model and a lovely finish.

Just one small observation Gilles Villeneuve famously drove with the number 27 (his fatal accident was in a C2).  The number 28 was driven initially by Didier Pironi (and later by Mario Andretti).  So you might need to change either the driver name on the side of the cockpit or the number.

There’s quite a bit of dramatic and ultimately tragic Motor Racing history behind those decals.

Regards Mike

Hi guys, thanks, and glad you like it.  The body is painted with Vallejo Model Air, which to get a finish that looks automotive and not military, I've found that multiple layers of clear coat works - a couple before decals, sanded polished, then, a few more clear coats after decals are placed - which brings me to Mike's observation - at this point, blunder and all, I have to call it done.  The decals are now laminated among layers of clearcoat.  Short of stripping it, I'm not sure how to resolve this?  I do appreciate the clarification - 

Cheers

Nick

Beautiful job Nick, especially with all the red body panels off, one of the most realistic looking 1/20 F1 builds I’ve seen.

Don’t sweat the wrong number error, I always say every model should have a minimum of one imperfection in order to “let the evil spirits out”. 
John

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Stickframe said:

Hi guys, thanks, and glad you like it.  The body is painted with Vallejo Model Air, which to get a finish that looks automotive and not military, I've found that multiple layers of clear coat works - a couple before decals, sanded polished, then, a few more clear coats after decals are placed - which brings me to Mike's observation - at this point, blunder and all, I have to call it done.  The decals are now laminated among layers of clearcoat.  Short of stripping it, I'm not sure how to resolve this?  I do appreciate the clarification -

It's a great build and turned out just fine, and as John just said the wrong number is a tribute to the Gods of Modelling Chaos, who will doom the next build after a totally perfect one. You've skipped this, be glad! 😉

As well as for the tire seams - wasn't that the season with Ferrari's infamous middle tire wear? So, it's totally fine, you've recreated that! 😄

Kidding, especially the paint looks great, you did a marvelous build.

• Haha 1

Awesome! 

To my mind, the most beautiful F1 car that Ferrari produced.

Love all the extra detail. :clap2:

• Like 1

As others have said one of the best looking cars Ferrari built and driven but one of the best drivers.

That is an excellent build and gorgeous detailing. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm about to do my first f1 car for 25 years and I've been wondering what paint to use.

I use vallejo for most things  due to the no lacquer smell.  I didn't think you would get away with using model air ,as its matt, and then clear coating but you certainly have as it looks fantastic.

I'm a bit nervous about sanding in-between clear coats.  What grit did you use and where do you get it?