343 - Saab A 32A Lansen 1/72 +++Finished+++

Bjorn

Starting the third one. For this one, I will not use that much aftermarket parts. But I found some Moose Republic decals that might be useful. I will also use the airbrakes from Hobbyboss' 1/48 Lansen. They are extremely undersized, and almost perfect for a 1/72 build! Although the box says J 32 (fighter), it contains parts for the A 32 attack version and S 32 recce version.

50459344496_f1433b7f1c_c.jpg

My plan is to build a late A 32, at a time when they were heavily weathered.

9df46a04-8f28-4e4f-b1a7-8f6348a88460?fit

Since the canopy is rather thick, I will not put so much effort in the cockpit. So getting this far did not take that long time.

50458639813_c411f538f0_c.jpg

Time to open the airbrakes. I will probably try to scratch-build a belly tank. Although it is shown on the boxart, Heller for some reason did not include it - a pity since Lansen almost always flew with it.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

My plan is to build a late A 32, at a time when they were heavily weathered.

That sounds like my kind of finish :)... I’ll be following ;).... it will be interesting to see your air rake work too!

Martin

• Like 1

It beginning to look like a Lansen now! But one thing is essential for that look - the belly tank. I tried to scratch-build one from parts in my spares box and are satisfied enough wit the result. Some more sanding are neccessary...

50504766422_7ca02cb95a_c.jpg

But now the Lansen looks as it should look!

50504766402_68e0f768bd_c.jpg

One thing that both Heller and Hobbyboss (1/48) got wrong is the locks on the nose hatch. They have locks on both sides, but the real one only has it on the left side. I made new ones from small styrene strips and sanded them down.

50503893038_7223ab7707_c.jpg

• Like 8

• Bjorn changed the title to 343 - Saab A 32A Lansen 1/72
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After Viggen and Tunnan, it is time to paint the Lansen. First the NMF underside, using Vallejo metal acrylics:

50612295753_7eba053205_c.jpg

After that it was time for one of my favourite subjects for painting and weathering: Really weathered Lansens at the end of their career! This time I used Gunze acrylics. First lots of pre-shading. The circles on the wings are remains of larger roundels, replaced in the 70s leaving traces like this. This is soooo fun! :D 

50613042011_11f23b92ef_c.jpg

Pre-shading was followed by thin layers of Gunze H309. Some would call this one over-weathered, which I can understand. But the last examples in service actually looked like this, waiting to be replaced by Viggens.

50613044271_228be24189_c.jpg

Next step is additional painting, chipping (more fun!!!) and more weathering. But after that, this one will probably have to rest for a while. I won't do that however, instead I'll start painting another well-weathered bird: The Safir. Yet more fun to come!

• Like 6

Superb work Bjorn! That paint work is flawless. Wish I could paint like that. I only have one Heller jet in the stash, the SAAB J.29, but now I've seen this, I have to get myself a Lansen. What a handsome looking aircraft. Right! Time to go Lansen shopping!

Steve

17 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Superb work Bjorn! That paint work is flawless. Wish I could paint like that. I only have one Heller jet in the stash, the SAAB J.29, but now I've seen this, I have to get myself a Lansen. What a handsome looking aircraft. Right! Time to go Lansen shopping!

Steve

Thanks! I am happy to inspire to more Swedish modelling! :) Although, if you want a more modern Lansen kit, I'd recommend Tarangus's J 32 Lansen. Heller's Lansen is not bad, especially being almost 40 years old, but Tarangus's is more modern, has far better decals, and nice reccessed panel lines. Box also contains the belly tank, that almost always was used - Heller has it the other way round, tank on the box but not in it...

https://www.tarangus.se/2016/02/20/saab-j-32be-lansen-in-172-scale-now-available/

spacer.png

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3

@Bjorn

Thanks for the recommendation. I shall certainly check out the Tarangus kit, but I've also just picked up a Heller Lansen for the GB if I can squeeze it in before the time runs out. I've got a Heller J.29, J.21 and Safir already in the stash, and I must pick up a Viggen and Draken. I also have an itch for a SAAB B-17 after seeing one at Flying Legends several years back, so there is much Swedish goodness on my modelling horizon.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

A number of Lansen were built in the Nordic GB earlier this year and we had some interesting discussions that might be of use. Mine was pretty much OOB though I did add a Maestro belly tank and re-use some big Rb-04 anti ship missiles from an old Airfix Viggen. There is also quite a bit of info on the IPMS Stockholm website. I think it is a good looking machine and my ancient Heller kit went together very well, though the decs were not brilliant. The recent re-boxings have far better decs with a lot more choice I believe.

Cheers

Pete

51 minutes ago, PeterB said:

The recent re-boxings have far better decs with a lot more choice I believe.

Cheers

Pete

Sadly, decals in recent Heller release are almost as bad as the old ones. I´d recommend aftermarket decals, Moose Republic Decals (that also are responsible for the decals in the Tarangus kit) has two brilliant decal sheets witl lots of options for all versions. I used them a few years ago when I built a Heller S 32C Lansen recce version with lots of aftermarket stuff. You might recognize the way of painting these weathered Lansens. ;) I put lots of effort in this kit, completely forgetting the essential nose weight... So I had to glue it to a base plate...

12090352853_3e5b54002e_c+(1).jpg

More pictures here: http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.com/search/label/S 32C - Saab S 32 Lansen?m=0

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1