Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My first 1/48 aircraft in about 7 years. Absolutely fantastic kit. Royal Eduard Dual Combo 1/48 with resin and PE details. Great fit and perfect amount of detail.

 

This is a scheme seen many times before, but I need it to do mine!

 

Bf 109F-4/Trop, W.Nr. 8673, flown by Hptm. Hans-Joachim Marseille

F-4/Trop, CO of 3./ JG 27, in Quotaifiya, Egypt, in September 1942.

 

He flew this aircraft about a month from August 24th, 1942 to September 25th. Flying this plane he was credited with 49 shots down of Allied forces aircrafts. This was the last Friedrich (F) he used. On September 30th, 1942 piloting a Messerschmitt Bf 109G-2/Trop he lead 3rd Staffel during the escort of Stuka Staffel. His cockpit filled up with smoke upon his return to the base and he was forced to catapult himself. His attempt was unsuccessful, during his catapult he hit the rudder of his aircraft, consequently he lost consciousness, his parachute then failed to open and the fall to the ground became fatal for him. After Marseille’s death, W. Nr. 8673, served at 1./ SG 2 where it got lost after being hit by flak south of El Alamein on October 22th, 1942.

 

This aircraft is painted RLM 79 on the upper sides and all over the sides of the fuselage, this was an irregularity. The undersides were camouflaged by RLM 78. The camouflage was complemented by the marking of the aircraft flying in the Southern Front – white wingtips, white propeller spinner and white band on the tail of the aircraft. The engine cover had I. Gruppe JG 27 emblem on both sides.

 

Because the camo was overall quite simple I've spent sometimes trying to give some variation to the base RLM 79. I've used two shades from AK real colours (RC282 1941 and RC283 1942), I then mixed them and used also some lighter and darker shades. Theres is pre and post shading, filters, panel lines washes a bit of modulation and then I finalised everything with some minor weathering and chipping.

 

The figure is clearly not Marseille (nor the jacket seemed right for the desert!) but unfortunately it was the only one I had at the moment (will replace if I found one correct one of him in 1/48th scale)

 

I hope you guys like it!

 

 

aHBFG9Q.jpg


081tBxS.jpg


Qnm2RdA.jpg


t1qLBDy.jpg


ATQqfG4.jpg


QmA54ji.jpg


yfKnz5p.jpg


txRcV1Z.jpg


PJaLdPs.jpg


8JUjrLr.jpg


ik2yfgJ.jpg


qLTAwdR.jpg


wfOfLkZ.jpg


defK8YI.jpg

 

Cheers,

Jorge

 

 

 

 

Edited by JrivasK
edited text
  • Like 32
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JrivasK said:

Thank you! Sorry for my ignorance but what are insulators?

At each end of the antenna wire.

 

uKSbCXErisT7eRdw3U7XdaOAMeB8amas5SWIZF9A

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2020 at 08:26, chris148 said:

Absolute stunner

Thank you very much!

 

On 14/10/2020 at 10:56, 28ZComeback said:

Nicely done and tells a story. The optimism of Luftwaffe in 1942. 

Thank you 👍

 

On 14/10/2020 at 09:40, fubar57 said:

At each end of the antenna wire.

 

I see!. I've used cut pieces of a 0.4mm brass pipe, and for the wire I used Ammo's 0.2 mm rigging

Edited by JrivasK
erasing the image link
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dov said:

Nice great build!

Happy modelling

Thank you very much 👍

 

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Well done, The paint work  and shading on this model is very realistic indeed- it must have taken a long time to complete.

Thanks Colin... Yes I've spent most of my time in the painting and weathering, and it took me around two weeks or so? I'm happy you like 👍 cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Really great looking 109. Amazing paint and weathering work 

Thanks Harry! 👍

 

33 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Fantastic Friedrich. 
 

Pete

Thank you Pete!. Glad you liked the Friedrich 😀

33 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

wow - a real winner that you have there. Lovely build of Marseilles ride.

 

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you very much Michael. There's something about this colour scheme that I really like, even though is quite simple. Cheers! 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back to modelling with this impressive Friedrich! The figure adds a lot to the overall impression, too.

 

IMHO, though, the model looks over-weathered, especially the dark airbrushing over each and every panel joint. And the dark shading of the fabric covered control surfaces, indicating surface sag, is quite misplaced. In reality, linen fabric is doped taut as a drumhead and the 'shading' detracts from realism instead of enhancing it. All IMHO, of course.

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Welcome back to modelling with this impressive Friedrich! The figure adds a lot to the overall impression, too.

 

IMHO, though, the model looks over-weathered, especially the dark airbrushing over each and every panel joint. And the dark shading of the fabric covered control surfaces, indicating surface sag, is quite misplaced. In reality, linen fabric is doped taut as a drumhead and the 'shading' detracts from realism instead of enhancing it. All IMHO, of course.

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

 

 

 

 

 

😉 Right, cool, thanks for your opinion. I would love to see your models so I can see and learn how should I do things. Would you mind send me some links?

Thanks also for the welcome although I didn't say I was coming back to modelling, just that was my first 1/48th in seven years...in fact you can see many of my others post in the forum or my website.

 

cheers mate

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a stunning work. I love the color, shades, dark tones and your weathering is on point. Masterfully made and the figure gives a sense of scale. Brilliant!

 

I'm sorry for being "off topic", but since we are talking about Marseile here, I would like to recommend to read/listen the book "The German Aces Speak" (2 volumes). This amazing book is based on real war stories (from interviews) from German aces, and they have a good lengthy story about life/lifestyle and professional life of Marseile. That lad fascinated me, he had the balls to do mind blowing stuff! 😅 I highly recommend to give this book a try. 👍🏻

Edited by luftmodels
Addition
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, luftmodels said:

I think this is a stunning work. I love the color, shades, dark tones and your weathering is on point. Masterfully made and the figure gives a sense of scale. Brilliant!

 

I'm sorry for being "off topic", but since we are talking about Marseile here, I would like to recommend to read/listen the book "The German Aces Speak" (2 volumes). This amazing book is based on real war stories (from interviews) from German aces, and they have a good lengthy story about life/lifestyle and professional life of Marseile. That lad fascinated me, he had the balls to do mind blowing stuff! 😅 I highly recommend to give this book a try. 👍🏻

 

Thank you so much luftmodels! I very happy you like it (having seen your amazing work in progress with the Zero) 

 

Nothing to be sorry about!, but I should thank you for the recommendation, cause nothing better than a good book! I'll do a search to see if I can get them.

 

cheers mate!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JrivasK said:

 

Thank you so much luftmodels! I very happy you like it (having seen your amazing work in progress with the Zero) 

 

Nothing to be sorry about!, but I should thank you for the recommendation, cause nothing better than a good book! I'll do a search to see if I can get them.

 

cheers mate!

Yeah,thank you so much! 😀

I was listening to it on Audible while modeling.😌 Kept my imagination going and entertained 😆

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...