German light wood... How light is it, and how to replicate it?

Eivind Lunde

Guess the title explains it. I've sort of cracked the code on how to make regular dark wood code using art pencils to make the subtle hues and grain, and for my level of modelling I'm pleased with the results.

But I'm building a Pfalz D.IIIa which has light wood interior supposedly made from German spruce, and I'm struggling to make anything that looks like light wood. :headbang:

First of all, was the wood sealed with clear laquer, or something that would make it darker like the wood panels on an Albatros?

Secondly, using MIG New Wood as a base colour and Clear Orange to tint it, I can get the hue approximately right, but what should I do to make wood grain? Any suggestions for colours and techniques? 

Hi Eivind

according to the WNW instructions the Pfalz interior was a grey green, that’s what I’ve always painted mine as they are far more knowledgeable than I. 

However, to get a light wood effect similar to The external wood on an Albatros I use oils. 

I prime with a lightened desert yellow. Apply cadmium yellow to create the overall shade and then dot randomly with a raw sienna (the reddish one) and drag the dots to create the grain. 

once dry I apply Tamiya clear yellow mixed with a couple of drops of tamiya clear to keep it glossy. I then apply a highly thinned tamiya smoke mixed with a brown to create shadows and tonal variations. 

andy wood used Vallejo glaze medium and Vallejo acrylics to create a grain effect on his stunning Sopwith Pup build on here recently. Have a look at that for an alternative. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Any link to the Pup? My googling skills were lacking.

Pretty sure he meant Andy Moore, and that it is this one:
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080595-sopwith-pup-gnome/

Looks like you can get acrylics to behave like oil using glaze, so that is interesting.

With oil after painting and gloss varnish. Take a sponge. Little part for cleaning dishes or a soft brush. And pation to let it dry, if it fits. One week! Do not touch before!

Happy Modelling

• Like 1