La « flotte Sarfice» est complète – Squadron (Academy) AT-6D Harvard conversion « C » of the Groupment Aerient Presidentiel de Gabon (GAP) 1/72

Hi all!

The third and final part of my Sarfice trio of aircraft is finally done and rolled out – North American AT-6D “C” joins my AD-4N “TR-KMP” and Fouga Magister “TR-KFJ” in celebration of the flying career of Jacques Borne. Those of you who have seen my previous RFIs on these will know the background and so I won’t bore you with that here. 😉. I intend to mount these three on a presentation board in the future.

Globally the last military operator to put the Harvard in to service, the GAP operated a fleet of six AT-6D/Harvards for many years. They arrived in Libreville in this dark blue paint scheme and then, over a number of years, they progressed through natural metal to a sand camouflage scheme. These were ex-SAAF. The construction number of this machine was 88-14876 which, I believe, was registered “TR-KFC” in Gabonese service. She was formerly 41-33904, EX931 (RAF – received?) and “7491” (SAAF), being delivered to the GAP on 15th December 1970. The fleet was retired in the 1980s.

Gabon T-6 BM2

Gabon T-6 BM

The base kit needed to be converted from T-6G configuration. The means by which I did this was to adopt a Yale canopy (thanks @Graham Boak for the steer) and upper rear fuselage. It almost fits! 😉 She also needed a blanked off single machine gun housing on the upper nose, which also had a groove running forward along the top of the cowling. The other major difference was the two Browning MGs in the wings. The fitment of these MGs meant the scribing of the access panels on the upper wings. I also added a few lumps and bumps here and there that were features of South African T-6s and removed the Rudder nav lights. Each of the Gabonese Harvards seemed to have different antenna fits. “C” had a simple pole to the rear of the canopy. They were pretty scruffy. You can see from the few available images that the blue came away readily. I’ve therefore used a fair bit of “modeller’s licence” to get dirt and scratches on her.

For all of this work I was robustly supported by Wez @Wez, Geoff Timms at The Harvard Club of South Africa and Fred Borne.

What did I do/use? Well:

1.       Kit – Academy/Squadron T-6G Texan (Double Set) 1/72 and RS Models NA-64 Yale (92208) 1/72. I used the Yale cockpit and rear fuselage fairing.

2.       Aftermarket – 0.5mm brass rod, Master Browning .30 calibre Machine guns (M1919), aerial from our kitchen broom! I planned to use Radial Engines and Wheels P&W R-1340 (72001) but despite a lot of scraping and sanding I couldn’t get it to fit in the Academy cowling. I also intended to use the Pavla cockpit set (72021) but in the end I used only the seats.  I also intended to use the CMK Harvard conversion set but I have an aversion to vac form canopies and, in any case, it split on me! The exhaust in the set was not what I needed either.

3.       Decals – Arctic Decals drawn and printed, Techmod white “C” in USAF Amarillo font.  

4.       Paints – Colourcoats USN Glossy Sea Blue (Post war) ACUS36) plus numerous Humbrols for various small parts

5.       Weathering and washes – Flory Sand and Tamiya Weathering Powders. Prismacolor silver pencil 

I hope you like her as much as I do 😊

DSC_1059

DSC_1060

DSC_1057

DSC_1066 DSC_1064

DSC_1067

DSC_1068

DSC_1070

DSC_1061

Martin

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

That’s really lovely Martin and it’s one of those subject areas I know little (nothing) about. I’ll have to track down the other two and put that down as my ‘learning for the day’! 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, Wulfman said:

I do like it as much as you, excellent work !

Wulfman

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

On 10/13/2020 at 5:01 PM, Wez said:

Great job Martin, I've enjoyed seeing this coming together and to see it here in the RFI, very impressive.

Thanks Wez. It’s being slow, as always, but I got there in the end. :)

On 10/13/2020 at 8:38 PM, Pedro1 said:

Nice!

Thanks mate. I’m happy :)

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sweet job on that Martin. I like that a lot. :) 

Steve.

Thanks a million, Steve. 

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s really lovely Martin and it’s one of those subject areas I know little (nothing) about. I’ll have to track down the other two and put that down as my ‘learning for the day’! 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks a lot, Dave. As you’ll see from my builds over the years, I tend to shy away from the norm ;). 

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Always nice to see your 'left field' stuff Martin. I know nothing of the type but she looks great, keep up the good work.

Stuart

Thanks as always, Stuart. To be honest I knew very little about Harvard’s and Texans before this build. I thought they were all pretty much the same but quickly discovered how wrong I was. ;) It has been a very enjoyable ride and on reflection I should have produced a WIP as you dont see them for this type. I could always produce a retrospective short thread, I guess.

Martin

• Like 2

Great result Martin and striking finish! 

I picked up a Doyusha T-6 when I was in Japan last year. Derived from the Hobbyboss version I think. Great looking aircraft. Undecided on what finish it will have for now.

Terry

On 10/14/2020 at 10:42 PM, Paul Mason said:

Great job and really interesting colours.  Fab!

Thanks Paul

On 10/15/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ignacio said:

Beautiful and original scheme as usual Martin!

Saludos desde Uruguay!

Ignacio

Thanks indeed, Ignacio. I’m glad you like her :)

On 10/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, Britman said:

Splendidly different, nice.

Keith

Thanks, Keith

On 10/15/2020 at 2:00 PM, Terry1954 said:

Great result Martin and striking finish! 

I picked up a Doyusha T-6 when I was in Japan last year. Derived from the Hobbyboss version I think. Great looking aircraft. Undecided on what finish it will have for now.

Terry

Thanks Terry. Save it for the Harvard GB ;)

On 10/15/2020 at 8:30 PM, Pauly Boy said:

Shying away from the norm...Excellent choice! Beautiful job my friend. 

I've got a Katangan version I've been wanting to build. So many choices with the T6.

Paul

now that sounds good, Paul. Thanks for your comments :)

On 10/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Jfgred1 said:

Need to add a picture with the three of the planes together. The AD-4N, the Fouga Magister  and this last masterpiece. 

Thanks for sharing.

A good idea :). I intend to get all three on a display stand once I work out the geography of the Libreville apron ;). Thanks for your comments :)

On 10/15/2020 at 9:37 PM, wellsprop said:

Superb! The weathering is excellent. It's great to see a very unusual scheme, I've never seen this before - great work!

Thanks a million. You’ve probably seen my diverse building choices before? I never knowingly or happily follow a trend :)

All my best to all,

Martin 

Thanks Chris. I sound like a broken record but I simply dont follow trends and love to find and do something that others haven't done. For me it applies throughout life. I don't always achieve that, though :)

Martin 

Ah Martin my friend.  I had been looking forward to your latest history lesson and somehow missed this one that you posted back on Tuesday.  I really enjoy everything about your presentations............the history and the subject itself.   Bravo!!!!!!! :clap2:

Mike