Hurricane P3522 - GZ-V - Biggin Hill, August 1940 – with motorised prop - B&W photos added at the end of Post#1

On 15/10/2020 at 21:39, wellsprop said:

Top work Stix! Stunning model and I love the motorised prop :)

Hi Ben. Thank you very much for your kind comments. :thanks:

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 16/10/2020 at 03:51, kapam said:

Chocks away!

That is an awesome build and diorama!

Well done! :clap2::clap2:

Hi kapam and thank you very much for your kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 16/10/2020 at 09:21, Bullbasket said:

On my rare forays into the wingey thing section, it's always a pleasure to see one of your hairy stick masterpieces. Nice one Stix, and the spinning prop is a nice touch.

John.

Hi John. I hope you and yours are all keeping well. Thank you very much for your kind comments. I still like to build aircraft occasionally. It's where I sort of started from when I joined Britmodeller. Before joining I'd been interested in space kits, sci-fi stuff and even built one of Revell's big fire engines. On joining I quickly found a home in the aircraft section - mostly making Spitfires. Then during a GB I discovered the joy of building tanks. Got two of the latter I'm hoping to be working on over the next couple of months.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 21:35, Newbie(kinda) said:

That is just superb Stix. As always. And I absolutely love the oversized 32 Sqn codes (just wish they were still available aftermarket!). Lovely build, excellent photography.

Hi Newbie(kinda). Hope you are well and thank you very much for your very kind comments. I agree - there is something about the size of the codes! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 16/10/2020 at 22:47, Sky Keg said:

Mr Stix...............

This is as authentic as a Hurricane could possibly be.  Not only am I impressed, but I really like it a lot!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you very much. That's very kind of you to say! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2020 at 17:04, 224 Peter said:

Outstanding, and I was really impressed by the way you have taken the power wires out of the U/C and tyres. 

A thought: do you think it would be possible to terminate the wires with a small bit of copper or brass on the tread of the tyre, taking advantage of the small flat spot found on many parked A/C. 

Then the base could have a couple of corresponding plates, allowing the A/C to be easily moved. 

Another idea I had for the 1/24 Spitfire was to build a "Trolly Acc" and have the batteries in that, using the normal external power point.

Peter

Hi Peter and thank you for your comments. I like both your ideas for getting power into the aircraft. I look forward to seeing these in action on some of your builds in future. I may try them too. Thank you.

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 17/10/2020 at 21:54, stevej60 said:

I can here that Merlin purring Stix.Another outstanding and inspirational build for the BM archive!

Hi Steve and thank you very much for your kind comments. I may yet do a video with the prop running but have a video of a Merlin engined Spitfire playing in the background.

Hope you and yours are keeping well.

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 18/10/2020 at 15:29, GRK said:

Great work and particularly like the last few pictures set in scene. You've done a nice job masking the paint at the front of the wing root- i struggled to get a good line here but yours is nice and neat. 

Hi GRK and thank you very much.  No masking involved really as I don't use an airbrush. I use masking tape on some bits - like the patches over the guns but I stipple the paint on rather than spray it. The wing root lines were done with a good old fashioned paintbrush and a steady hand!!

Kind regards, 

Stix

On 19/10/2020 at 15:20, J Sherratt said:

That's terrific modelling and a great set of pics. I really like the prop! Cheers, John

Hi John.  Thank you very much for your very kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 18:26, Cris Garcia said:

Awesome work! A piece of fine art! Bravooo...

Thank you very much Cris, most kind!! :thanks:

Kind regards, 

Stix

Wow!   Those B&W images coupled with the spinning prop are truly convincing and inspiring.   It is all built on a foundation of a solid model with good vignette details.    

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2020 at 07:43, Biggles87 said:

Excellent result as ever Stix. I deliberately stayed away from the GB this time, as I never finished the last one, but I couldn’t resist commenting on this.

John

Hi John. I hope you and yours are all keeping well. Thank you very much for your most kind comments. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Outstanding model! Not only did you nail the colors and finish, but the motorized prop looks real! Looking at your wires, I had a thought- the lead wires could have been run along the struts  and painted to represent the brake lines; then the remaining wires could have been painted to represent ropes and attached to some scale wheel chocks. That being said- that's one pretty Hurricane! 👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 04:43, John B said:

Wow!   Those B&W images coupled with the spinning prop are truly convincing and inspiring.   It is all built on a foundation of a solid model with good vignette details.    

Hi John and thank you very much. I have to say I was quite pleased when I saw how the the B&W photos looked - it is odd how we think of that era/the past as being in black and white.

Kind regards,

Stix

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John and thank you very much. I have to say I was quite pleased when I saw how the the B&W photos looked - it is odd how we think of that era/the past as being in black and white.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix - You're absolutely right that putting things in B&W make it "look right".  I know someone who motorized Tamiya F4U Corsairs as part of action diorama.    He created an excellent vignette as well, but putting the images in B&W seemed to add another dimension.  Perhaps because that's because that we're conditioned to seeing images from that period in B&W?

Here is the link to his thread -> USS Franklin vignette

Edited by John B
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 11:37, Roman Schilhart said:

That is a very neat & clean build!

You are the most talented brush painter I have ever come across.

I am always baffled by the oversized code letters used by the RAF at that time!

Hi Roman. Hope you are well. Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

Yes the large code letters were quite odd. I quite like the look of them though.

Kind regards,

Stix

On 26/10/2020 at 13:00, 72modeler said:

Outstanding model! Not only did you nail the colors and finish, but the motorized prop looks real! Looking at your wires, I had a thought- the lead wires could have been run along the struts  and painted to represent the brake lines; then the remaining wires could have been painted to represent ropes and attached to some scale wheel chocks. That being said- that's one pretty Hurricane! 👍

Mike

Hi Mike and thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. A couple of other modellers have suggested other inventive ways of disguising the wires. They all sound like ways to go in the future. Thank you. :thanks:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 27/10/2020 at 21:11, John B said:

Hi Stix - You're absolutely right that putting things in B&W make it "look right".  I know someone who motorized Tamiya F4U Corsairs as part of action diorama.    He created an excellent vignette as well, but putting the images in B&W seemed to add another dimension.  Perhaps because that's because that we're conditioned to seeing images from that period in B&W?

Here is the link to his thread -> USS Franklin vignette

Hi John. Thank you very much for the link - what an impressive vignette!! A very skilled modeller indeed!! And you are right - although the colour images look superb - there is something a bit special about the black and white version.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Stix