Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk IIC night-fighter

IanC

Hi everyone. 

This is my first 1/72 Arma Hobby Hurricane. I was keen to have a go at an all-black night-fighter and chose to do an aircraft from Exeter-based No. 247 Squadron using the new Xtradecal sheet.

It's a lovely little kit and went together with no problems - I just added some resin exhausts and brass 20mm cannon.  I used various shades of grey and black to try and give a worn, scale appearance and pigments for weathering. I'll certainly be doing another one of these, probably the forthcoming Mk IIB 'Hurribomber'.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 53

I really like this. Looks very menacing in all over black.

Could look at this model for some time. Very nice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work! The Arma kits are very good, aren't they?

The small roundels and unusual squadron codes make for an interesting variation to the norm - can I ask which Xtradecal sheet it was?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Great work! The Arma kits are very good, aren't they?

The small roundels and unusual squadron codes make for an interesting variation to the norm - can I ask which Xtradecal sheet it was?

Cheers,

Mark

Many thanks. The Xtradecal product number is X72113. There are some nice photos of the real aircraft online, if you search for Hurricane BD936. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, IanC said:

Many thanks. The Xtradecal product number is X72113. There are some nice photos of the real aircraft online, if you search for Hurricane BD936. 

Thanks, Ian, that's greatly appreciated! I've got an Arma Mk.IIb kit and three lots of overtrees on order, and fancy doing a night fighter!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Ian, that's greatly appreciated! I've got an Arma Mk.IIb kit and three lots of overtrees on order, and fancy doing a night fighter!

Cheers,

Mark

If you're doing a Mk IIC and can stretch to it, I recommend the aftermarket Hispano cannon barrels I used (Master Models MR 72066) - they're exquisite!  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IanC said:

If you're doing a Mk IIC and can stretch to it, I recommend the aftermarket Hispano cannon barrels I used (Master Models MR 72066) - they're exquisite!  

I've been looking at those - I'm planning to get some to replace the kit ones. Am I right in thinking there are two types with different recoil springs?

40 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've been looking at those - I'm planning to get some to replace the kit ones. Am I right in thinking there are two types with different recoil springs?

That's right. Mine are the earlier type. Not sure which was more common but 'check your references', as they say. :-)

• Thanks 1

Very, very nice build, and the subtle differences in the paint really added realism to this one- looks like the real thing rather than a painted plastic toy- very hard to do in this scale and with this color. The Arma Hurricanes are awesome kits...Tamiya could not have done any better! :like:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very, very nice build, and the subtle differences in the paint really added realism to this one- looks like the real thing rather than a painted plastic toy- very hard to do in this scale and with this color. The Arma Hurricanes are awesome kits...Tamiya could not have done any better! :like:

Mike

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a cracker.  You have done a splendid job on the paint work, with all the subtle differences in colour, looks absolutely fantastic. 

Great work 

Chris

Thanks. I did the Airfix Bf 110 in a similar scheme but made the mistake of using straight black and I have to say it does look a bit toy-like despite some weathering. On this, I used 'Nato Black' as a base and then added areas of thin black and dark grey paint and some dark pigments. I also buffed up the surface with a Mk I finger in various places. 🙂  

• Like 2