F-104G Starfighter Academy 1/72

Hello Friends !

As a fan of Lockheed F-104 Starfighter and a fan of vintage models, I took the aircraft model from the Academy kit in 1/72 scale.  It is a clone of the Hasegawa kit from 1963 and, like the original, has the same simplifications and errors such as the lack of undercarriage hatches, a primitive cockpit and a fatal cabin cover.  I decided to slightly modify the model and supplement it with missing elements

EF4-BAB7-C-DDCF-40-F5-BA2-D-739-E62-A8-F
82620-E39-FD76-4873-AB7-D-C4-CB26-BD1-E2
BB1-D4-FC5-9497-4386-90-C6-CA9-C4-D99565
7-DDAA1-CD-66-EC-479-E-B1-C9-7505242-BF6
DD006-EAE-A279-4749-A88-C-632-E3-AA5-F5-
185-B01-E9-3-C42-46-E5-9-B0-D-622-BD729-

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Its great to see another Starfighter underway :). Good luck with it! :)

Martin

Totally agree!

Latest addition to my 1/72 stash arrived yesterday:

IMG20201013103341

Gotta love an F-104!

Terry

• Like 2

Now that is great! My preference is always TF- over F- when it comes to Starfighters! They were so full of character :). That's a good find too! Those Hasegawa TFs in 1/72 dont come up often. I have just one stashed away and a beautiful set of Spanish decals for it.... one day!

Martin

• Like 4

On 10/13/2020 at 6:12 AM, Marcin Wojciechowski said:

I started working on the model from making a completely new cabin cover.  The original one from the kit is wrong in every respect, but after grinding and polishing, I thought it would be good for a resin hoof cast in silicone mold.  The glazing frames are made of 3M varnish tape.

D1-A6-D54-C-26-E9-4-C6-A-A2-FD-57-F7-D15
1970075-E-B212-46-C5-A258-1-A2-C7-EAE910
76-F09-B4-E-8142-427-B-B385-BBAB40-E14-B
A9-F0-AEFA-7-B2-D-428-C-917-E-4-D2-DA80-
422-DAF35-E9-F7-4-B40-A09-E-F69-B222-D4-
20695-E87-3774-4551-BB09-F26-A5-B38-C682
D1-BD1-B12-AA90-48-C8-B143-9-F1-C20007-B
56-B01-EAB-7-EA7-46-E5-BE7-C-DF79-FC20-F
6-FC435-D7-CF70-479-E-B8-DD-F918-CB7-DB7

Could you elobarate on how did you produce the clear parts? I have few ok vintage models that have all the framing on the inner side of the canopy and would love to replace those with the frames on the outer side.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

Czy możesz wyjaśnić, w jaki sposób wyprodukowałeś przezroczyste części? Mam kilka dobrych modeli vintage, które mają całe obramowanie po wewnętrznej stronie czaszy i chciałbym je zastąpić ramkami po zewnętrznej stronie.

The original glazing of the model was ground to the correct shape, polished and then glued to the prepared cabin cover with pieces of 3M elastic tape, which formed the frame for me.  Then I filled the cabin cover with technical platelets and put it in a plastic box and covered it with casting silicone.  Then I took the original cover out of the silicone mold and poured the resin that formed my hoof inside the mold.  I grinded the hoof with abrasive paper, polished it, and then pressed new cabin covers onto it using the vacu method.  For stamping, I used a colorless Vivak 0.5mm plastic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Courageous work Marcin! I also bought the same kit a couple of years ago (impulse buy on the strength of the box artwork without actually having seen the kit) and I was very disappointed when I opened the box ands examined the kit closely. my assessment of the kit, which had the same main observations as you noted, was that the amount of work required to bring the kit up to an accurate standard was such that it was really not worth the effort, so I will be using mine as a paint test model only.

However, you have done a good job with your model, which looks like it will be a vast improvement over what was offered straight out of the box.

Regards

Derek

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Odważna praca Marcin! Kupiłem również ten sam zestaw kilka lat temu (zakup impulsowy na podstawie grafiki pudełka bez faktycznego oglądania zestawu) i byłem bardzo rozczarowany, gdy otworzyłem pudełko i dokładnie go obejrzałem. moja ocena zestawu, która miała takie same główne obserwacje, jak zauważyłeś, była taka, że ilość pracy potrzebna do doprowadzenia zestawu do dokładnego standardu była taka, że naprawdę nie był wart wysiłku, więc będę używał mojego jako tylko model testowy lakieru.

Jednak wykonałeś dobrą robotę ze swoim modelem, który wygląda na to, że będzie to znaczne ulepszenie w stosunku do tego, co było oferowane od razu po wyjęciu z pudełka.

pozdrowienia

Derek

This model requires a lot of work, as you can see, but I decided to build a Statfighter miniature from it, which will not stand out from better and more modern sets.  I'm glad that you appreciate my work in this model.

Excellent work!

The Academy is indeed rather, ehm, rough around the edges. A few years ago I got one cheap, slapped it together, painted it gold and we now use it for a christmas peak. 😇

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Wspaniała robota!

Akademia jest rzeczywiście, ehm, szorstka na krawędziach. Kilka lat temu kupiłem jeden tani, spoliczkowałem go, pomalowałem na złoto i teraz używamy go na świąteczny szczyt. 😇

Twoje zdrowie,

Andre

Interesting use of Starfighter from the Academy :).  However, I have to make a normal model of this set in NASA or The Starfighters painting.

3 hours ago, Marcin Wojciechowski said:

Interesting use of Starfighter from the Academy :).  However, I have to make a normal model of this set in NASA or The Starfighters painting.

Decals made to fit the new tool Hasegawa may have to be finagled a bit to fit the Academy. What decals are you planning on using?

Cheers,

Andre

PS: I wasn't aware my Polish was that good. ;)

7 hours ago, Hook said:

Kalkomanie pasujące do nowego narzędzia Hasegawa być może będą musiały zostać nieco wykończone, aby pasowały do Akademii. Jakich naklejek planujesz użyć?

Twoje zdrowie,

Andre

PS: Nie zdawałem sobie sprawy, że mój polski jest taki dobry. ;)

Decals from Caracal or Mr.Decal Bogdan Żołnierowicz.