Heller North American AT-6 in Belgian colours, Belgian Congo 1960.

stevehnz

Nice work Steve and great to see the AT-6 back on track. Yellow is never an easy colour to work with, especially with a brush as I do, and doubly scary if it's a yellow and silver combo. I haven't tried any new yellow paints for years as I have a stash of very old Humbrols, Gloys and Airfix which do seem to perform better than some of the new formulas, and even then, it's not easy. Looking great so far and I think the finish line is in sight now.

One thing I stumbled on a while ago by accident. One of the problems I find with yellow, is that even after a day or so of drying time, subsequent coats can seem to drag the first coat and cause all sorts of coverage problems. As an experiment, I applied some Future in between coats and this stopped that problem. I also found that I could achieve a nice opaque yellow in as little as two coats depending on the paint. This was using enamels by the way. Worth a try as it works with white too.

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I completely missed this one until now, It's coming together very nicely! I'm currently doing a Hobby boss T-6 in Belgian guise, but i have an old Revell boxing of the Heller kit wich in many aspects is better than the Hobby boss kit.

Sorry for lack of an update, I've been doing bit & pieces to it but life has been getting in the way & this has been fighting back a bit. After the first lot of painting yellow stripes which turned out rubbish & I sttipped off, only to find the plastic going soft, my later attempts went better but the silver I have used, Tamiya X11, while going on beautifully remains very slightly tacky to handling over a week later.  :(  Last night I went to paint the anti-glare panel & the silver paint started to come up through the black.  😣 Not a happy camper. I don't want to press on with this if it is not going to behave & risk buggering the decals Wez sent me. I'm away next weekend so won't be about for the end of the GB, so it is looking as though this will become a WiP - later an RFI on its own, that is if it doesn't graduate into a CITB. (Chucked in the bin) I'm wondering if in some way the plastic is giving me grief with painting or if it is the Tamiya Silver, enamel with a brush, I haven't used this before. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 1

Paint troubles... sorry to hear that Steve. Btw I'm not sure what you mean by "next weekend" (is that "coming weekend" or "the one after coming weekend"), but if you didn't know about the GB's extension to Feb 14th you do now. You may still have a shot. 

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sorry for lack of an update, I've been doing bit & pieces to it but life has been getting in the way & this has been fighting back a bit. After the first lot of painting yellow stripes which turned out rubbish & I sttipped off, only to find the plastic going soft, my later attempts went better but the silver I have used, Tamiya X11, while going on beautifully remains very slightly tacky to handling over a week later.  :(  Last night I went to paint the anti-glare panel & the silver paint started to come up through the black.  😣 Not a happy camper. I don't want to press on with this if it is not going to behave & risk buggering the decals Wez sent me. I'm away next weekend so won't be about for the end of the GB, so it is looking as though this will become a WiP - later an RFI on its own, that is if it doesn't graduate into a CITB. (Chucked in the bin) I'm wondering if in some way the plastic is giving me grief with painting or if it is the Tamiya Silver, enamel with a brush, I haven't used this before. :unsure:

Steve.

Paint issues like that, Steve, plague us, don't they! I feel for you. If it were non-metallic you could probably work around but the risks of finger-printing, smudging etc are all stacked against us. Don't give up the great work you've done so far. Would it be too much to remove the paint and start again? Whatever you choose to do I wish you good luck!!!

Martin

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Would it be too much to remove the paint and start again?

Yes, bloody well yes, or at least yes if I want to make to cut off. :)  I'll give it a few days & then see if it'll take a clear coat with out playing up. I f it does, all good, if not, the bin is looking good. I'd rather try this scheme on another kit than risk the decals I have. 

Steve.

20 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Yes, bloody well yes, or at least yes if I want to make to cut off. :)  I'll give it a few days & then see if it'll take a clear coat with out playing up. I f it does, all good, if not, the bin is looking good. I'd rather try this scheme on another kit than risk the decals I have. 

Steve.

Sometimes you have to make such decisions, Steve, sadly :(. Fingers crossed all will be well!

Martin

• Thanks 1

Silver and yellow are the most difficult colors to hand paint.

Before i had an airbrush i tried Tamiya spray cans for yellow and silver and the finish is unbelievable, there's the prince and the smell etc but you basically can't go wrong with these, they spray on so nice.

Revell acrylics are not to bad for hand painting either, they come in strange square pots and do need thinning as they they to be or become more a paste than a liqid, but because of this they cover quite well. they thin well with just water, or my Future equivalent. (acrylic parquet floor polish)

For stripping acrylics i usualy use ethanol, rubs everything right off to bare plastic.

and if things look beyond saving you'll have a kit to experiment on, or to turn into a crash diorama.

Best of luck with this one

Hope this one makes it . What black paint are you using? That can sometimes be the problem . Any chance of a pic of the black as it is now ? I have a couple of ideas . The patient isn't dead yet . Keep going 

Martin H

• Thanks 1

After 6 days in the airing cupboard, the paint seems better, but still very slightly sticky to touch if held for too long. :( This was what I had at the time of disinterring it from the towels & sheets. :) 

DSCF3156

Since then, I've bitten the bullet & put the markings on, that seemed to go OK, I've also pretty much finished detail painting so tomorrow, hope to add wheels & canopy, a fabricated aerial mast & landing light covers. I'm hoping to find the markings still in place in the morning, I'll leave off any clear coats, for as long as it takes to stop the stickiness. I'm becoming convinced there is something weird with the plastic, while painting the wheels with Revell #9, Anthracite, I noticed the paint was reluctant to cover, something I've never come across before & this was plastic freshly sanded to remove the mould lines. :( Some more photos tomorrow & hopefully some for the Gallery too, all being equal. :)

Steve

• Like 2

Today saw some steps forward but one particularly backwards. The nett result is that it is substantially finished now & seeing as I'm back at work tomorrow for 3 12 hour days, the small tidy ups that are still required may stay undone till after the GB ends. The back ward step was one undercarriage leg deciding to snap as I was positioning it. More brittle plastic. Some very careful drilling, a 3m  piece of paper clip & some superglue gel saw it come together. It sits very slightly wing high on that side but  not enough to tempt fate by fiddling with. The decals went down a treat using the Klear method. I used a mix of three bands, Colorado for the tail markings & serials, DP Casper for the walkways & @Wez's Army Cast roundels. They all went down very well though the very fine separate blue outer of the fuselage roundels did give me conniptions for a bit, these were probably the best of the three brands. They were still looking ok today but won't be getting an all over clear coat for probably some weeks yet. Anyway, it is what it is, a pity that a subject I'd looked forward to building for ages got such a grotty kit used on it. I'm well pleased to see the end of that brittle plastic.

DSCF3163

I'll put some others in the gallery.

Steve.

• Like 6

It’s not been an easy build Steve, but a good looking result at the end. A favourite plane of mine, partly because it’s one I see fairly often above our house. The distinctive engine note always gets me rushing (a relative term these days!) outside with my camera.

Nice pics in the Gallery. Well done for getting there.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Looking great, and nice save on the undercarriage. I do love a Belgian roundel. I think it hearkens back to when I used to go watch Bradford Northern RLFC with my dad when I was a kid - red, amber and black hoops featured on their jerseys. Now know as the Bradford Bulls and in much reduced circumstances, sadly.

• Like 1

Nice one Steve. Great build despite the fight it put up. Lovely scheme too, and silver and yellow are scary colours to use sometimes. Is this the only Texan in the GB? I thought we'd get more.

• Thanks 1