Saudi folly.

Britman

When this kit came out I speculated that Saudia just had to order it! Wrong! Well I had a decal sheet for a Saudi 747 so what else could I do . I will not be completing this as is because obviously it is not accurate. It will be refurbished as British Airways first A380 which coincidentally was based at my local airfield Manston for a week of crew training before entering service. Hope you like it.

DSCN1012

DSCN1011

DSCN1009

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Lovely scheme, I'd stick with it personally, looks great and maybe one day will be accurate!

Sadly not a cat in Hell’s chance; the last A380 is already well advanced in final assembly and may already have flown (I’ve not checked plane spotters.net lately).  It’s a fascinating “what-if/what should have been” in Saudia colours, but who knows how soon we’ll be mourning the passing of the BA A380 fleet as some have the 747s? 

UPDATE: 

The last 3 A380s are still showing as “on order” so should still be at Toulouse.  All are destined for Emirates.

Edited by stever219
Additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

That's fantastic! Unless you are against what-ifs (as some are) you finish it. Just my opinion.

Interesting , when I started this project I was living in a bigger house and displaying it would have been easier than it would be now. I have assembled and painted the wings and engines but assembly is not really a realistic option as it would have to go straight into storage and that's not the idea is it. I am considering passing it on along with an Otaki Galaxy (assembled) if it is possible. I wasn't thinking this way when I took the photos but we sometimes have to be honest with ourselves don't we?

Keith

• Like 1

If there is any chance that you would be able finish and display it, I would also suggest to keep it as a Saudi A380. The work you have done on hear so far looks 👍

19 hours ago, stever219 said:

Sadly not a cat in Hell’s chance; the last A380 is already well advanced in final assembly and may already have flown (I’ve not checked plane spotters.net lately).  It’s a fascinating “what-if/what should have been” in Saudia colours, but who knows how soon we’ll be mourning the passing of the BA A380 fleet as some have the 747s? 

UPDATE: 

The last 3 A380s are still showing as “on order” so should still be at Toulouse.  All are destined for Emirates.

Just a FYI: In total Emirates are still to receive the last 6 A380's from Airbus. Some of them are already in Hamburg, either at "FAL 2" for cabin fitting or at the delivery centre awaiting delivery. But as Emirates are trying to stall the last deliveries for as long as possible, it's impossible to say when the remaining aircrafts will be delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Britman said:

but assembly is not really a realistic option as it would have to go straight into storage and that's not the idea is it.

That sounds so much like your quoting Airbus. Sad to hear that all your hard work now seems futile to you (I and others would beg to differ) but if there is chance of a good home  for it elsewhere then all I can say is "full speed ahead!"

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:58 PM, Britman said:

Interesting , when I started this project I was living in a bigger house and displaying it would have been easier than it would be now. I have assembled and painted the wings and engines but assembly is not really a realistic option as it would have to go straight into storage and that's not the idea is it. I am considering passing it on along with an Otaki Galaxy (assembled) if it is possible. I wasn't thinking this way when I took the photos but we sometimes have to be honest with ourselves don't we?

Keith

Honest with ourselves? Not in this hobby. Come look at my model stash for confirmation... 🙂

• Like 2