Valentine Mk II In the Caunter scheme ??

Longbow

Hi Guys !! 

I have the AFV Club Valentine on the way, and would like to finish it in the Caunter scheme....

Does anyone photos, in service, available, such as this ?

When, what time period, would this be used ?

I have a plan for a knocked out Panzer IV F2, and wondered if it would be a similar time period. 

spacer.png

The Panzer IV F2, or Panzer IV Special, appeared in North Africa in May 1942.   Ten were present at the time of the Gazala battles, but not sure if some saw combat at that time.  http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_panzer_IV.html

Valentine deliveries to North Africa began June/July 1941.   These would have the Caunter scheme applied, but it's not so straight forward.   @Mike Starmer research would give a better idea of what the scheme really looked like,  so hopefully he drops in with some extra  pointers.

https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45/?v=79cba1185463

These were with 8RTR,  the only unit equipped as such for Operation Crusader.  I recall a review stating that the road wheels in the AFV Club are of the initial type, and if you want them to correctly match the two desert decal options,  you should obtain a set of the early type (photo is linked to web shop):

a069.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Caunter scheme was phased out several months before the Pz IV Ausf. F2s arrived in Afrika (I recall that was April 42-the Caunter scheme directive was superseded in late 41).

While it might be a slight possibility, I would think it would be unlikely to see the two contemporaneously.  I’ll have to pull my Starmer book on the Caunter scheme, but I’m pretty sure it was gone by 1942.

• Thanks 1