Aoshima motorcycle kits

Foxy1972

As the per title.... Has anyone ever bought and built one?... I bought a Honda cb400 super four from them and on opening the box I've never seen such poor quality in a kit.... Excessive flash everywhere, scratched and damaged parts... I took out the 2 halves of the petrol tank and tried fitting them together and when I say tried I mean tried... They didn't line up properly... There is a huge gap inbetween the 2 halves... So have I just been unlucky or is this the quality of their kits? 

Edited by Foxy1972

I can't speak for their bike kits, but Aoshima's Countach is probably the best kit I've built.

That said, they release a lot of kits from way back, at least as far as the '70's which, to be fair, they do say the kit may not be up to modern standards. Is this kit one of those?

I've built a couple of their car kits and they're really nice.  Good fit, straightforward assembly and look like what they are meant to be.  Perhaps not quite as marvellous as Tamiya somehow, but I can't quite define what the difference is.  But Aoshima's recent car kits are really nice quality.

3 hours ago, Spiny said:

I can't speak for their bike kits, but Aoshima's Countach is probably the best kit I've built.

That said, they release a lot of kits from way back, at least as far as the '70's which, to be fair, they do say the kit may not be up to modern standards. Is this kit one of those?

The kit is of a 1992 model bike... So not from the 70's but couldn't say how old it is... 

Thanks for the replies guys... On what has been said I'll have to give aoshima the benifit of the doubt and put it down to plain old bad luck... Which if I am honest is what I'd prefer to do as they have a lot of kits I'd like to build that no other company make :)

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Ive built some Aoshima car kits and they went together very well . Sometimes felt the instructions were a bit vague though.  

Gary . 

Yes I've found the instructions to be very vague myself... I've made a start but it's slow going due to the instructions... They are the complete opposite of what I'm used to... And my knowledge and experience doesn't stretch to.... I know better I'll do it this way instead.. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Foxy1972 said:

Yes I've found the instructions to be very vague myself... I've made a start but it's slow going due to the instructions... They are the complete opposite of what I'm used to... And my knowledge and experience doesn't stretch to.... I know better I'll do it this way instead.. 

To be fair, "I know better, I'll do it this way instead" is often the prelude to some epic cockups!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Harley bike kits are a bit of a stretch as far as accuracy goes. Most of the Harleys are shovelheads and for the evolution engines they just plopped evo rocker box's on top of the shovel engine. lol

No biggie Revell transformed shovels into knuckles for some of their 70's kits.

Good decals though.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished my 4th model the Aoshima cb400 super four.. Although the kit was in poor condition its not turned out to bad... Its also my first time using detail up and PE parts.. That was a new challenge for and I've learnt to pay more attention.. I even built and fitted the front brake discs to the wheel before realising there was no pre drilled holes for the axel to go through... Decided to leave some parts off too such as the PE honda badges for fear of ruining the paint job... Anyway just thought I would share the result.. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

A real nice result, my congratulations, looks like an original. But it's a modern nacked bike, not compairable with old fashioned ones. Please don't mind it's just because I'm old and oldschool 🤗

When I was a youngster I rode a  62 speed twin and today there is a SR500 and a Sportster parking in my garage. 

But your built is great 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

A real nice result, my congratulations, looks like an original. But it's a modern nacked bike, not compairable with old fashioned ones. Please don't mind it's just because I'm old and oldschool 🤗

When I was a youngster I rode a  62 speed twin and today there is a SR500 and a Sportster parking in my garage. 

But your built is great 

Marco F 

Thank you... Its a model of the first big bike I owned after passing my test which is why i tried to be a little more meticulous with the build and why I changed the colour scheme slightly just to mimic what I owned :)