Mercedes Mclaren SLR, Tamiya, 1/24

This has been lurking in the stash for quite some time... I'm not sure what brought it to the top, but a nice straightforward Tamiya build is just what the doctor ordered!

body-mockup.jpg

body-mockup-2.jpg

Thanks to the way the real car is engineered, there's no main bodyshell... the components and panels hang off the chassis and tub.

body-with-basecoat.jpg

Basecoated with Zero Paints Mercedes SLR-specific Palladium Silver. I quite like the matt look, but...

chassis-and-body.jpg

The chassis is somewhat simplified, but in terms of what you can actually see when it's built, it does the job, IMHO.

interior-bits.jpg

Interior trim under way -- I wanted one of the more colourful options, rather than plain black. Tamiya NATO Black for the majority, so details painted in semi- or gloss black will actually be visible.

chassis-from-left.jpg

Two piece engine washed to pop out the detail.

black-and-red-chassis.jpg

Better not forget the decals on the brake callipers!

shiny-body.jpg

shiny-body-2.jpg

shiny-body-top.jpg

Zero Diamond 2K clear coat on. This is straight out of the airbrush... I haven't sanded the primer, the base coat or the clearcoat

Time to progress the interior...

best,

M.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Spiny

Having heard some disquiet abroad about the fit and closure of the bonnet, I thought I'd better give it a try sooner rather than later:

bonnet-test-open.jpg

The mountings on the bonnet just click onto the hinge bar, so it's not so risky...

bonnet-test.jpg

Looks basically OK... however...

magnets.jpg

That's 3 2mmx1mm rare earth magnets let into the top of the engine, under the red induction cover. I'll put some tin can steel under the rear of the bonnet, which should be pulled down to snug it into place.

seats-mocked-up-from-front.jpg

seats-mocked-up.jpg

Just trying out some of the interior parts. I'm pleased I chose the more dramatic black and red colour scheme. It's the one I'd have in a real one, too...

best,

M.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! The interior is done now. Not many parts, but crisply detailed and easy to paint. Citadel paints and some art pens...

dash-1.jpg

dash-2.jpg

As someone in a Youtube video I watched for research purposes 😜 said: "It's not very special inside for something that costs so much money..."

cockpit-done-front.jpg

cockpit-done-top.jpg

cockpit-done-rear-right.jpg

cockpit-done-left.jpg

...and finally:

chassis-16-oct.jpg

State of play for tonight... symphony in black, red and silver...

best,

M.

• Like 7

Thank you! Chassis is now complete:

chassis-done-1.jpg

chassis-done-2.jpg

chassis-done-3.jpg

The weighty metal undertray gives the whole thing a high-quality heft, and I think the "soft chrome" of the wheels is spot on from Tamiya.

chassis-done-bonnnet-up.jpg

Continuing to test fit the bonnet -- there's something very Batman about this shot!

chassis-done-bonnnet-down.jpg

Looks like a very badass go-cart, doesn't it?

best,

M.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On the home stretch now. The fit of the body, windows lights etc. is just stellar. Still haven't quite conquered the bonnet, but I'm now waiting until doors, windscreen and wipers are on before "fine tuning"... 😜

body-done-2.jpg

body-done.jpg

body-done-rear-view.jpg

body-done-interior.jpg

body-done-sharkmouth.jpg

body-done-top-down.jpg

Now I just have to decide what number plate will suit this one!

best,

M.

• Like 7

Thanks, @CrazyCrank

Door interiors:

door-cards.jpg

black-and-red.jpg

Small they may be, but the painting is pretty involved! Another great example of clever Tamiya engineering: the central red panel of each door is separate, and slides into a slot under the raised handle before clipping into place in the main door card. You just have to paint it red, and you get the area behind the handle neatly painted, and a gap behind the handle as on the real thing. I reckon most manufacturers would have moulded the whole thing as one piece with the handle integral, making for much trickier painting to make it look vaguely like the original.

best,

M.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...