BERGEPANTHER Ausf. A by DEMAG - Full Interior

Redcoat2966

14 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The tools were a pain as I mentioned earlier being on kit, rather than off. The wood was a simple process of a very light blonde yellow sand. Then something like a red mahogany mixed with some of the light base colour and I painted with a very small brush the wood grain. Once that dried, I drop some dark brown panel liner by Tamiya and with a small brush dampened with white spirit blend it out to the centre. If you want to get a lighter centre section. rub it back with a cotton bud dampened with spirit.

The ket Darryl, IMO is to over accentuate shadow. No different to stage designers when they do stage backdrops for a show. Creating depth at a 1:35 scale needs to be "pumped up". The metal parts of the tools are painted with burnishable Mr Color burnt iron. Polish them up with a cotton bud, then coat in the natural rust area's with a dark rust pigment with matt varnish, then blend out with water. Once dry you can go back and polish edges etc where the tool is used or handled, leaving other areas with a transparent rust haze........it would have been easier if they were off....:whistle:

Excellent thanks,  tried a variety of different approaches for the handles some good others not so.

Daft thing is, I'll do it on one build looks fine come to the next can I remember what I did....:shrug:

You're quite right about the "pumped up" aspect too btw. Its not just shadow, I remember, unusual for me, you've mentioned it before and without the "over exaggeration" of certain aspects detail can be lost and the final product can look bland and almost toy like, imo.

Thanks again

Darryl 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Amazing work Simon,  as others have said, do not rush it and regret it,  take your time and finish it  all to the same standard.  Taking part in the GB is the main thing, finishing it is a bonus.  As it stands with the top off showing all the cable drums and reels reminds me of a vintage clockwork toy, honest, I'm not winding you up! :whistle:

Cheers Bob, and very funny....:giggle:.....and yes, I'm not going to rush it through, it'll get done eventually. In fact I'm at a point where I might switch to something else for a break....maybe the Sturmtiger. I might be lucky and be able to finish it off in time.

Thanks again....:yes:

13 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I might switch to something else for a break....maybe the Sturmtiger. I might be lucky and be able to finish it off in time.

Tamiya or AFV Club?  I have a Tamiya waiting to be finished, I applied zimmerit to the lower hull original parts but I was not happy with the paint finish so it's waiting for a set of Fruils and a repaint.

You must have a similar mindset to me, almost finish a kit, be not happy with how it's going so rather than ruin it, put it aside and build something else.  Well there's worse things in life. :penguin:

• Like 1

What a great subject! And so much detail. That looks fabulous. The details are spot on - they all really look the part. I'm sure I can see the grease on that cable! It looks like you can get in and drive this thing away.

Amazing build!

• Thanks 1

Hi all, just got time to pop up a mile stone........the tracks are on. That wasn't easy. ......virtually nowhere to hold the bloody thing......three pieces broken off later, they're on.....:yahoo:, and the top wood structure in on.

wxaWQKz.jpg

Some weathering on the fabric cover next..........and shackles front and back need rust and partial main colour.

tNEYa3z.jpg

EfoI1hD.jpg

The next big hurdle is the spade and  crane...when all parts are on, I'll drop a very light dust on running gear etc.....and I hope well on the way for the deadline....:yes:

34pCwEg.jpg

Hope to catch up on all threads and build blogs over the weekend....cheers all.....

Regards

Simon.

• Like 12

Superb Simon, just superb!

So much detail to look at...in fact it looks like a well used and abused Ausf A, converted to a Bergepanther!

Tracks, exhaust, tools, woodwork, stuff it, it all looks brilliant!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, Dads203 said:

Lovely work indeed Simon, cracking weathering mate :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking very nice Simon

15 hours ago, Longbow said:

Fantastic job, Simon !! 

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That is looking superb Simon, glad to hear you're calling a spade, a spade, :whistle:

Funny Bob.....:laugh:. I'm having to plan the painting of it in detail to re-create the rust at the leading edge and flaked paint.....not something I've done before, so here goes...

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Superb Simon, just superb!

So much detail to look at...in fact it looks like a well used and abused Ausf A, converted to a Bergepanther!

Tracks, exhaust, tools, woodwork, stuff it, it all looks brilliant!

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, funny I was chatting with someone the other day on the final look of this and most of the finalised one's in the display cabinet. I compared it to an early Panther, the night fighter and how I didn't take it as far as this one.....but may revisit it and see where it goes.

The way I like them to end up is used, without looking like the oldest in the fleet......It's why I'm still really to tackle using dust effects and mud. I'm always concerned with over playing that card. I must though plan a muddy piece one day, to practice. I might relegate one or two early pieces to some experimentation.....watch this space.....

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now thats nice ! :thumbsup:

Thanks to all of you though for dropping a line of approval......appreciate them all......:yes:

• Like 3

On 19/12/2020 at 12:40, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Darryl, funny I was chatting with someone the other day on the final look of this and most of the finalised one's in the display cabinet. I compared it to an early Panther, the night fighter and how I didn't take it as far as this one.....but may revisit it and see where it goes.

The way I like them to end up is used, without looking like the oldest in the fleet......It's why I'm still really to tackle using dust effects and mud. I'm always concerned with over playing that card. I must though plan a muddy piece one day, to practice. I might relegate one or two early pieces to some experimentation.....watch this space.....

As we'ed expect you've nailed the wood effect for the deck!

Didn't you do a really muddy and well weathered sdkfz 251? That looked brilliant imo.

Tbh I don't tend to go for mud, general dirt, dust etc yes but accumulation of mud..

Probably because I doubt I could do it justice and am bit scared of spoiling what has already been done, saying all that unless you have a go and practice.....

Btw, Dan is doing a great job of mud on his M10 at the moment so I'm watching that with interest.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 6:17 PM, Stef N. said:

Blimey.Just when you think it can't get much better up pops that wooden deck. Superb.👏

Thanks Steff.....a new technique for wood I've took a stab at. Just got to plan how to do the worn Dunkelgelb now......

On 12/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, Peter Roberts said:

Brilliant - bl**dy brilliant. Lovely work,

Thanks Peter, much appreciated....:yes:

On 12/20/2020 at 4:47 AM, Harry Callahan said:

Outstanding work, looks great

Thanks mate.....I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, Longbow said:

Well..... WOW !! 

That wood looks real !!

Cheers Lee, I'm happy with the wood technique now......so one surface effect cracked for future projects.

Thanks again....:yes:

On 12/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, Jasper dog said:

As we'ed expect you've nailed the wood effect for the deck!

Didn't you do a really muddy and well weathered sdkfz 251? That looked brilliant imo.

Tbh I don't tend to go for mud, general dirt, dust etc yes but accumulation of mud..

Probably because I doubt I could do it justice and am bit scared of spoiling what has already been done, saying all that unless you have a go and practice.....

Btw, Dan is doing a great job of mud on his M10 at the moment so I'm watching that with interest.

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl....thanks mate.....and yes I did.....wasn't 100% happy in the end and took many notes for the future. To be honest, time limited me on this one as I'd like to get it finished for the deadline. I do intend to start a project specifically to do a well muddied AFV....so the mud work will planned from the outset to fit into the build. I might give an existing project a mud effect to do some trials also. I was just watching the World At War, Operation Barbarossa; and too much mud doesn't apply when they showed the rain in November.......:worry:. The Half tack I did looked more part there, some of the soft skin's were covered top to bottom.

I'll take a look at the M10 later today....

Thanks again all......:yes:

• Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 7:35 AM, Peter Roberts said:

What a great subject! And so much detail. That looks fabulous. The details are spot on - they all really look the part. I'm sure I can see the grease on that cable! It looks like you can get in and drive this thing away.

Amazing build!

Thanks Peter.......:yes:

I'm always looking for something different. I fancy getting the Tiger recovery version with the crane one day.....see if I can pick it up at a good price. As regards the cable, it's actually steel cable which helps a lot. Its one of those security cables you see at placed like Curry's that secure cameras and small electronics. Only problem is it's "springy", so hard to get on the spools and winding gear.......but managed in the end with some choice words along the way....

Thanks again....

Regards

Simon.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 11:18 PM, Retired Bob said:

Tamiya or AFV Club?  I have a Tamiya waiting to be finished, I applied zimmerit to the lower hull original parts but I was not happy with the paint finish so it's waiting for a set of Fruils and a repaint.

You must have a similar mindset to me, almost finish a kit, be not happy with how it's going so rather than ruin it, put it aside and build something else.  Well there's worse things in life. :penguin:

Hi Bob, doing some catching up so sorry for the delay........it's the RFM, with partial interior. 

I was going to do the old Zimmerit on the lower chassis, but got straight into it and ploughed on. I was thinking of getting the ATAK or similar and add it on......maybe even give doing it with some filler myself....have to see. The one thing with the AFV is it come's with nice workable tracks.....nice an easy to do also with the track pins ,etc.......I think it'll be the next one to bring to a conclusion....and yes, I do the "put it to one side" thing,......there's 10 looking at me from the cabinet :rolleyes:

Cheers Bob...

• Like 2

On 19/12/2020 at 17:05, Redcoat2966 said:

Just had some time to get the wood deck done.

Yeah he says totally casually "i'll just throw this wood deck out there" like it's something anybody can do just as casually anytime  ........ dude seriously that's next level...... :goodjob:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anneal it ... Should take some of the spring out of it. 

Yeah.....wish I'd done,  that, how can something so simple be such a pain, bleedin wire tow cables!

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah he says totally casually "i'll just throw this wood deck out there" like it's something anybody can do just as casually anytime  ........ dude seriously that's next level...... :goodjob:

Got to agree with him, as much as it pains me to agree with Brad, but superb woodwork.

Same sort of approach as you've described earlier for wood?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/12/2020 at 17:05, Redcoat2966 said:

Just had some time to get the wood deck done.

Just when you think this vehicle has everything, you install a dance floor, and can I say it looks superb. :worthy:

On 22/12/2020 at 14:24, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Bob, doing some catching up so sorry for the delay........it's the RFM, with partial interior. 

I'm the same as you, Simon, I seem to be always catching up on all the threads that are of interest to me.  I had forgotten that RFM also did one. :doh:

On 22/12/2020 at 14:24, Redcoat2966 said:

I was going to do the old Zimmerit on the lower chassis, but got straight into it and ploughed on. I was thinking of getting the ATAK or similar and add it on......maybe even give doing it with some filler myself....have to see. I think it'll be the next one to bring to a conclusion....and yes, I do the "put it to one side" thing,......there's 10 looking at me from the cabinet :rolleyes:

The old Tamiya one has individual track links but with solid guide horns.  I applied filler to make my zimmerit and it's one I would like to finish off soon.....I wish I had only 10 looking at me that needed finishing . :unsure:

• Like 1