BERGEPANTHER Ausf. A by DEMAG - Full Interior

Redcoat2966

Evening all........about time I kicked off the GB blog. Here's where she began as a standard blog build......but ended up languishing in a draw.....:rolleyes:....so have taken the chance to have a deadline and get it done........

Managed to get some of the final units put together.....engine, transmission, side walls and floor.....and then started to tedious painting in stages during the build............this is where I've had to leave off until Thursday. 

Kfdr312.jpg

The paint I'm using is a Hataka modulation set for German "Red Primer" AFV Panel Lighting. I have to say, very impressed with the paint itself....it airbrush's with no issue's and dry's to a beautiful finish. The set is supposed to start with a A100 Jet Black (RAL 9005)....but decided to skip it and went straight on with the A174 Brown Primer Shadow. Looking back and final finish, I wish I had used the Jet Black.......live and learn. It's the first "Red Primer" colour lay down I've done....so making notes.

7H35DyH.jpg

There's two choices in interior paint job after the Primer is down. The MIG Interior painting illustration has everything Dunkel Gelb....sponsons, and everything above 12 to 16" from the floor. Another is taken from an actual analysis of a Berge in Germany, and it has a smattering in the forward driver and radio crew positions.........have to see how masking can be done as I fancy the MIG one, to show up the chipping better.

Anyway.....off to read some of the other blogs in the GB.....nite all.....:yes:

• Like 13

Cheers Bob......:yes:. I think the painting of these full interiors is vast part of the slogging match with them, probably why is went to the "cupboard of contemplation"..:whistle:.......just got t buckle down and plan ahead........just realised I also picked up the Atak set for it also.......yet more pain...:suicide:

Thanks for taking a look mate....

Regards

Simon.

• Like 2

The red primer is looking really good Simon.

Surely the Atak set has to be easier than creating your own....

"yet more pain"....and some people think we do this for fun.....:banghead:

Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good subject, and a good comparison for my G.

I know what you mean about colour, red or yellow, but from what I've read the winch area is treated as a open top vehicle, so dark yellow seems appropriate.  

But I'm sure it will be good whichever way you go.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good start Simon. I really like the red primer, i would really think about a detail painting again, is it worth or not, what one can see later? The winch plant i would paint it in red primer, then Hairspray and then Dunkelgelb and make really worn effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SimonT said:

I think you’ve achieved a nice depth of shadow there. Looks great.

Thanks Simon.....I still have two further shades to get on yet. Hopefully Thursday or Friday and I can start the other parts like the engine and transmission.

8 hours ago, diases said:

Good subject, and a good comparison for my G.

I know what you mean about colour, red or yellow, but from what I've read the winch area is treated as a open top vehicle, so dark yellow seems appropriate.  

But I'm sure it will be good whichever way you go.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes, I thought so....plenty of detail to be overwhelmed by  :hypnotised:. From my research, there's two routes..........

1 - The MIG colour layout..

x15GTcW.jpg

........Or this from a model blog I came across. He did research on an existing Bergepanther in Germany, under renovation I think....... in that he looked at paint residue etc..

B8PP96d.jpg

I'm leaning to towards the MIG one, purely out of visual interest and lighter areas to weather and chip.

7 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

A good start Simon. I really like the red primer, i would really think about a detail painting again, is it worth or not, what one can see later? The winch plant i would paint it in red primer, then Hairspray and then Dunkelgelb and make really worn effects.

Yes Harry, I was contemplating a method like that mate. Either hairspray or salt.......hand chipping would be a long haul for something that would be heavily worn with use. Might try some experiments and see which way to go. I've tried neither before, so will add to the learning curve on this one.

Cheers all for taking a look......:yes:

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The red primer is looking really good Simon.

Surely the Atak set has to be easier than creating your own....

"yet more pain"....and some people think we do this for fun.....:banghead:

Good luck 

Cheers mate.......:yes:

Yeah, Atak is the best way t go. I used it on my Elephant and found the best glue to fit it. Issue on this Berge is the amount of tools and exterior detail to contend with as regards the Atak.........onward and upward, and as you say........someone said it was a hobby for fun......:hypnotised:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers mate.......:yes:

Yeah, Atak is the best way t go. I used it on my Elephant and found the best glue to fit it. Issue on this Berge is the amount of tools and exterior detail to contend with as regards the Atak.........onward and upward, and as you say........someone said it was a hobby for fun......:hypnotised:

It's all well and good saying you found the best glue to fit it.....fancy sharing??

Just asking as I've DWs zimm for their ausf A and I believe that's by Atak and I'm sure I've another Atak set somewhere. 

Is it just me or does anyone else buy stuff when they see it going cheap, even if they don't actually have a use for it at that moment in time??

This might even explain the most unfortunately of afflictions..... SABLE

Fun....more of a masochistic enterprise!

30 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi ....it's a polymer grab glue. I bought the B&Q own brand by Dial in a tube.....as regards buying stuff.....I've kept to my promise and only buy styff for kits I have now........:rolleyes:, well, I try anyway......:whistle:

Regards

We all try I'm sure, just some are more successful than others....

Cant resist a bargain, justified by, it might come in.....

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

We all try I'm sure, just some are more successful than others....

Cant resist a bargain, justified by, it might come in.....

Trust me mate.....the grab glue is the best way to go as it allows movement for at least 15 minutes to position the Zim and it water soluble......so no mess and easy clean up. When I get back to my bench, I'll post a pic of the tube.

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Is it just me or does anyone else buy stuff when they see it going cheap, even if they don't actually have a use for it at that moment in time??

Not something going cheap but as I was buying some AK burnishing fluid today A Miniart 1/35 T-34/85 jumped into the basket, I really did not need it as I have a Dragon one to build, but I just could not reject it, so yet another kit will be added to the stash. :doh:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Trust me mate.....the grab glue is the best way to go as it allows movement for at least 15 minutes to position the Zim and it water soluble......so no mess and easy clean up. When I get back to my bench, I'll post a pic of the tube.

Regards

Simon.

Will do bud, never doubted you!

Cheers 

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Not something going cheap but as I was buying some AK burnishing fluid today A Miniart 1/35 T-34/85 jumped into the basket, I really did not need it as I have a Dragon one to build, but I just could not reject it, so yet another kit will be added to the stash. :doh:

You found some ak fluid....pray-tell where? I succumbed and orderd some Fruils so going to need some.

I've heard good things of those Miniart T34s, just put off by the part count bit like with the T55s.

(The stash, it's almost embarrassing and that's just the AFVs, thankfully I've been restrained this year and could probably count on one hand or so the number of kits I've bought, one of them is a 1/16 panzer iv though......🤫 )

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You found some ak fluid....pray-tell where? I succumbed and orderd some Fruils so going to need some.

I just put burnishing fluid into the search engine on evil bay and I had two choices, AK burnishing fluid, 100ml for £5.99 plus p&p thats from Creative Models, or from Poland there was an interesting product, VMS black track pro, a two component track blackening system.  I did consider it, but I was not sure how long it would take to come from Poland, I will check them out and consider it when I have more time, the AK stuff will be delivered today. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I've heard good things of those Miniart T34s, just put off by the part count bit like with the T55s.

There was a review on this site and it looked good, very modular and with individual track links so that pushes up the parts count, but still in 1/35th, I'm not touching 1/16th. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

Simon the work you're doing on this is looking absolutely stunning mate..... following along if you don't mind as a Berg is on my wishlist for the future. Keep up the great work.

Steve

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I just put burnishing fluid into the search engine on evil bay and I had two choices, AK burnishing fluid, 100ml for £5.99 plus p&p thats from Creative Models, or from Poland there was an interesting product, VMS black track pro, a two component track blackening system.  I did consider it, but I was not sure how long it would take to come from Poland, I will check them out and consider it when I have more time, the AK stuff will be delivered today. :thumbsup:

I spotted the VMS stuff and the AK fluid but that's a different fluid to the one I've used before. That was AK159 Metal Burnishing fluid as opposed to the AK photo etch burnishing fluid, so I'll be interested to see how it works out.

You'd imagine fluid is fluid but....

I haven't found the 159 anywhere in the UK, (wasn't an exhaustive search btw) but I can get it from a supplier in Poland that Dan recommended.

And as for 1/16th it seemed a good idea at the time! If all else fails I've got a supplementary work bench with it!

10 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I spotted the VMS stuff and the AK fluid but that's a different fluid to the one I've used before. That was AK159 Metal Burnishing fluid as opposed to the AK photo etch burnishing fluid, so I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Ahh,  I just saw burnishing fluid....drat, or words to that effect. :swear:

14 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I haven't found the 159 anywhere in the UK, (wasn't an exhaustive search btw) but I can get it from a supplier in Poland that Dan recommended.

Might have to try the VMS stuff, the pictures of the treated tracks look good. :hmmm:

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Ahh,  I just saw burnishing fluid....drat, or words to that effect. :swear:

Might have to try the VMS stuff, the pictures of the treated tracks look good. :hmmm:

I can get the 159 but from Poland,  I've put two into the shopping cart just not committed yet.

Never tried the VMS before...

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:35 PM, Jasper dog said:

It's all well and good saying you found the best glue to fit it.....fancy sharing??

Just asking as I've DWs zimm for their ausf A and I believe that's by Atak and I'm sure I've another Atak set somewhere. 

This might even explain the most unfortunately of afflictions..... SABLE

Fun....more of a masochistic enterprise!

here's what I was describing mate.....can't beat it. One thing I forgot, It's not water soluble, but white spirit. I just clean down after withe cotton bud dampened with white spirit. leave over night. You can even after if you want to remove some Zim' parts etc, cut with a knife and peel off. The other bonus is you press down and it will fill in edges next to detail if there's a short fall in the Zim' part.

o9DFJ0I.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You'd imagine fluid is fluid but....

And as for 1/16th it seemed a good idea at the time! If all else fails I've got a supplementary work bench with it!

I have the VMS track fluid..........it looks to be a much longer process to use than the other's avaliable......but I think may leave a better finish. I'm yet to try it.....might make the tracks for this one the test bed.

Simon.

• Like 1