Trumpy Graf Zeppelin

Evening all,

Been a while since I graced the BM site and posted some progress builds of models so here is first for about 8 years!

So the DKM Graf Zeppelin, a fascinating 'what-if' which piqued my interest after see the infamous model of Hyan So Kim https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5bU2_HLCM .  I'm no ship builder but it looked an interesting project so got hold of the Trumpeter 1/350 Zepp along with the Infinity detail set, I toyed with getting the much more comprehensive Mk.1 set but with supply issues and availability  the Infinity set is plenty for me.

spacer.png

The build is about 2 weeks in and I've managed to get the hull together and using the splinter scheme that Trumpeter proposes looks good so went with that, nothing is right or wrong, accurate or inaccurate as the beast never even put to sea in anger.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the timeline I'm modelling the Zepp to have undertaken a few forays into the North Atlantic to harass convoys so will be a little beaten about.  I've only started the weathering to the hull and with filters will blend everything in further down the line.  I'm intending to have the midship lift dropped to show the hanger deck with the original intention of dropping this down to the lower hanger deck, but I fear that nothing will be seen 2 levels down.  So for now I've started to detail the hanger deck before adding folded aircraft and equipment.

spacer.pngspacer.png

More to follow....

Doc

• Like 3

I've just got to the point of putting my first wooden planking on.

spacer.pngspacer.png

The intention is to have a water diorama so before I painted the hull I prepared a base:-

spacer.pngspacer.png

As you can see part of the water dio will have a U-Boat on guardian duty and give a good sense of scale to the massive ship.

spacer.png

Smaller projects as part of the build include the collection of lifeboats and launches:-

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most of the armament has been built and awaits primer:-

spacer.png

Along with starting the air wing:-

spacer.png

I'm intending for the diorama to depict see trials of new carrier aircraft so the majority will be in the hanger.  The 109 seems just about the most unlikely of carrier bourne aircraft with narrow and weak undercarriage, but then again so does the Spit/Seafire I guess.

More to follow...

Doc

• Like 4

With plenty of scope to scratchbuild I will be making use of the 3D printers I have and already produced a better version of the anchor:-

spacer.png

In an ideal world the carrier deck will be populated and with the 3D printer I can produce as many crew as I need, not much to find online for free but at only around 5mm high not much detail is required.

spacer.png

So that has brought the build log up to date.  Next on my to-do list is finish the hanger deck and populate before closing the top.

Hopefully more updates in the not too distant future.

Thanks for looking

Doc 😀

• Like 7

Bit like waiting for a bus now,t for ages then two come along at the same time 

you are well ahead of me in the build already will follow and hopefully pick up a few tips. :popcorn:

Beefy 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Bit like waiting for a bus now,t for ages then two come along at the same time 

you are well ahead of me in the build already will follow and hopefully pick up a few tips. :popcorn:

Beefy 

Thanks Beefy,

Your build prompted me to post some pics of mine so maybe we can learn from each other, I will be following your build with relish 🤓

Cheers

Doc

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dr_Fester said:

I will be following your build with relish

I Prefer mint sauce myself mind  :whistle:

21 hours ago, Dr_Fester said:

we can learn from each other,

Good because I need all the help I can get (Medical most would say)

Doc have you added any extra details to the boat decks while studying the INFINI and build plans they look a bit sparse to my view I was thinking of some small additions just to make it look busy but can't find any info for these areas.

I have the shipcraft book for Bismarck and Tirpitz also the Kagero top drawings book for Bismarck and have also been studying the excellent build by @magpie1832 of Tirpitz and he has added a lot of details to the bridge sides.

I am thinking that a small amount of the design of these ships would be incorporated within the Zeppelin for deck vents and storage lockers  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

Evening Beefy,

Other than the Korean build my other main go-to build reference is RGL's build HERE which I'm sure you've read.  I'm not sure how much extra detailing is required on the boat decks as I have no accurate reference for vents, doors etc.  RGL used the Mk.1 detail set which had extra doors to access gun platforms and from the Island but my trouble is getting bogged down with finite details so the intention is to crack on and create what looks good on the fly.

I intend to have at least 1 aircraft ready on the cat with a few trundling along on their launch cradles and this brings me to another question you might be able to help me with.  As I understand it each aircraft was loaded onto the launch cradle below decks by crane and then raised to the flightdeck and pushed into position:-

spacer.pngspacer.png

So why is it mentioned that the cradles have separate lifts to raise them to the flight deck?

spacer.png

I'm confused 🤔 but that don't take much! Maybe the intention was to position the aircraft over the cradle lifts and marry the 2 together then?

Spend last night weathering the wooden deck and quite pleased with the result, hopefully post some pics later.

Cheers

Doc

Doc looking at the INFINI instructions again the two forward elevators look like they could be for loading the bombs if the aircraft are loaded to the cradles further back in the hanger using the centre and forward main deck elevators  🤔

Just my thoughts but someone might come along and clarify this question.

Stay Safe

beefy

Two Deutsche Werke compressed air-driven telescoping catapults were installed at the forward end of the flight deck for power-assisted launches. They were 23 m (75 ft) long and designed to accelerate a 2,500 kg (5,500 lb) fighter to a speed of approximately 140 km/h (87 mph) and a 5,000 kg (11,000 lb) bomber to 130 km/h (81 mph).[19]

A dual set of rails led back from the catapults to the forward and midship elevators. In the hangars, aircraft were to be hoisted by crane - a method also proposed for the Essex-class carriers of the United States Navy, but rejected as too time-consuming - onto collapsible launch trollies. The aircraft/trolley combination would then be lifted to flight deck level on the elevator and trundled along the rails to the catapult start points. When the catapults were triggered, a burst of compressed air would propel moveable slideways within the catapult track wells forward. As each plane lifted off, its launch trolley would reach the end of the slideway but remain locked in place until the tow attachment cables were released. Once the slideways were retracted back into the catapult track wells and the tow cables unhooked, the launch trollies would be manually pushed forward onto recovery platforms, lowered to the forecastle on "B" deck, then rolled back into the upper hangar for re-use via a secondary set of rails.[20] When not in use, the catapult tracks were to be covered with sheet metal farings to protect them from harsh weather.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/warships1discussionboards/two-additional-graf-zeppelin-s-t20965-s10.html

• Thanks 1

Really nice start. And even better you can do what you want with it and no rivet counter can complain!  Look forward to see yours outstripping mine for details too. 

Edited by RGL

Thanks for the info Iceman, still not clear in my mind about the trolley elevators but maybe beefy has the answer.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:06 AM, RGL said:

Really nice start. And even better you can do what you want with it and no rivet counter can complain!  Look forward to see yours outstripping mine for details too. 

Well I don't think there is any fear of coming close to your build mate, still I rate that as one of the best I've seen and thanks for sharing.

Doc

Edited by Dr_Fester