HMS Intrepid,Assault Ship, L'Arsenal

How many of us get side tracked and end up building something else,well I started cleaning up 1/700 Chieftains tanks and the Stalwarts . These were bought from Starling Models and they do them 1/350 as well.Stole this of Wiki ,it describes it the Stalwart perfectly .

The Stalwart, formally classified by the British Army as Truck, High Mobility Load Carrier (HMLC), 5 Ton, 6 x 6, Alvis/Stalwart and informally known by servicemen as the Stolly, is a highly mobile amphibious military truck built by Alvis that served with the British Army from 1966 until 1992. 

I'm doing Intrepid ,mainly because everyone else does Fearless and my friend served on her also.

The kit its a straightforward resin kit with P.E. and decals ,this is the only good kit in 1/700 yes agreed with  would love this in 1/350.It can be built straight of the box,but having vehicles for the landing craft I needed to have the dock flooded ,which means having the stern lowered ,so to do this, had have a thicker based to get the right angle,with that done could turn my attention to Intrepid.The flight deck ,well not going to say anything,but had to replace it with plastic card.hope the picture shows it couldn't be use.There is no detail in the dock area ,but once finished and painted the ship,I can turn to that afterwards.I have replaced all the hatches, grills and put ladders on.

I bought this at Telford ,last year 2019 ,feels like a century ago after this year,away I never noticed no decals only last night,panic started to set,checked everything I could think of and thought just email L'arsenal which I did this morning ,they have already replied and they are sending a new set at no cost.  Excellent service .That's why I,m not moaning too much about the flight deck. 

i9PbllF.jpg

EGXR0TY.jpg

a9AvG2u.jpg

4hD1k3u.jpg

trGvrXR.jpg

d9PlwO7.jpg

nbTBcn7.jpg

• Like 15

I had exactly the same issue with the flight deck.  I haven’t yet built mine, but be careful with references, depending on when you’re depicting her; despite what the box says, if 1982 her bridge wing guns are wrong (& I think chaff too, from memory).  Looks a nice kit, though, & the only remotely modern game in town

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

How many of us get side tracked and end up building something else

So true!

Nice choice of subject here Chris. Will follow along and watch this one.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 21:06, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I had exactly the same issue with the flight deck.  I haven’t yet built mine, but be careful with references, depending on when you’re depicting her; despite what the box says, if 1982 her bridge wing guns are wrong (& I think chaff too, from memory).  Looks a nice kit, though, & the only remotely modern game in town

Thanks ,yes it's hard to spot from the photos to get it correct,I have chosen some time after the Falklands (this matches the main mast)  were if I'm right still had seacat on the bow deck ,a couple of single bofors on the bridge wings with the Chaff and were the other seacats that were on the rear of the bridge works these had been replaced by Gambo 20mm cannons.I have Neil McCart book that's been an great help and my side kick from are models shows as lent his book HMS Intrepid,which was very handy, I didn't like the P.E. from L'Arsenal for both masts and that help me steal from other etching sets (spare)  It's not perfect, but it looks better to me.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Thanks Chris

• Like 1

That sounds right; I was in Fearless during the Falklands, so I’ve always taken an interest.  They certainly replaced the aft Seacats pretty early - eventually with Phalanx, but it makes sense that they went for 20mm initially.  The flight deck was not actually designed as a flight deck (it was mean to be an “upper vehicle deck”), so the arrangement where you needed to lower 5 large whip aerials to give the aft Seacats arcs of fire wasn’t an issue in the design, but it certainly was in practice when we were operating 4 Sea Kings - so I am not surprised they revised the armament PDQ post-82.

• Like 3

I don't think Intrepid was ever fitted with Phalanx.  After the Falklands campaign, I believe she retained the forward Seacat systems initially, although they may have been removed later; she was fitted with a pair of single 20mm GAM-B01 guns on 03 deck below the bridge, single guns (40mm Bofors?) on the bridge wings with the chaff mountings and twin 30mm GCM-AO3 cannon where the after Seacat launchers used to be.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

I don't think Intrepid was ever fitted with Phalanx.  After the Falklands campaign, I believe she retained the forward Seacat systems initially, although they may have been removed later; she was fitted with a pair of single 20mm GAM-B01 guns on 03 deck below the bridge, single guns (40mm Bofors?) on the bridge wings with the chaff mountings and twin 30mm GCM-AO3 cannon where the after Seacat launchers used to be.

Correct, Intrepid never got the Phalanx fitted ,reading her history is it was not for the Falklands war she would gone to the scrapyard much much sooner.Thanks for the other information ,good thing about ships in service armament  they would take items off and on depending what the ship was going.   

The Falklands didn’t just save her from the scrap yard.  In late 1981 there were preliminary discussions about selling Intrepid (as Fearless emerged from refit & ID went into reserve).  

The country that appeared most interested in acquiring her... was Argentina.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Thought better give update on HMS Intrepid,I went away for a week in Nov and took a ship that had sat on the self for over an year,it took that week just to get back into in Yuri Garmin and having done that ,it was time to finish her before getting back to Intrepid,also got side track with a diorama of USS Winston Churchill and HMS  Montrose doing a RAS with  Wave knight ,it needs to be finished off with crew and rigging on the refuel lines,plus added crew to USCG Bertholf, I used the figures from Black Cat Models 1/350 ,they are excellent,only lost one head and a leg ,which was easily glued back on. 

fxlt8wG.jpg

IMqRoq1.jpg

qXSBjw8.jpg

PcLAAD4.jpg

p0aDyUc.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Only just caught up with this and she's looking good already.  I echo your comment that it would be great to see someone do INTREPID or FEARLESS in 1/350 but I suspect we'll get another 20 Bismarcks before that ever happens!  My eyes can't cope with 1/700; 1/600 is about as small as I can go and I did produce INTREPID from the Airfix FEARLESS kit a few years back, like you have done with the dock flooded  and landing craft going about their business (in my case, transporting the Ship's Company to a beach banyan in the Caribbean in February 1981).  The photo on page 152 of McCart shows the start of that deployment.  I seem to recall that there was a lot of scratchbuilding to do around the superstructure to make her even vaguely accurate.  It does look as though l'Arsenal have addressed all of those issues.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting close to finishing only crew, rigging,helicopters and some vehicles to fit. Didn't realise last post was 28th Nov.Next project will be HMS Queen Elizabeth 1945.  

zLyJAWk.jpg?1

gWj4OXf.jpg?1

NY51fCj.jpg,this is real colour photo from film in 1945 by the US navy.

Here is link to clip ,jump to 1.43 to get to colour part. 

• Like 9

Gidday Chris, the assault ship and her brood look very good, and I'm looking forward to seeing your HMS Queen Elizabeth. That video clip in the post above I found interesting, and I enjoyed seeing the 'Town' class cruiser digging her nose in. I found a few things a little unexpected however. I was surprised at how much the USS Saratoga rolled in what I thought was a relatively light sea. Plus that the 'Fiji' class cruiser still had her 'X' turret, with the director still fitted. (HMS Jamaica lost her turret mounted director in 1943 I believe, and the turret itself later.) Also the footage of the 'Town' class cruiser firing, and the guns depressing immediately afterwards. I've seen heavy guns do that for reloading, but I thought 6-inch guns were loaded by hand and hence could be reloaded at any angle. So maybe I'm wrong there. I have been known to be. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

As usual all interesting stuff Chris and Intrepid will make a very nice talking point when we can get back to displaying and seeing each other again

Stay Safe and Best Wishes

beefy

• Thanks 1