262 - Saab 91B Safir 1/72 +++Finished+++

Bjorn

I'd better start with another one if I am gonna make my seven entries... :) However, this small beauty will be a pretty simple and quick one:

50459347256_ffa918ac64_c.jpg

I have not decided markings yet, but the kit decals will be replaced. Since I have already build a yellow Swedish one, this one probably will be a camouflaged SwAF one. Maybe this one:

1384815-large.jpg.

I started with some almost-invisible-riveting, rivets are typical for the Safir. Maybe I will keep the raised panel lines, I think they look good together.

50459345026_87c04d1b80_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 10

Having never had this kit before, I have four on order (to take advantage of the new decal sheet). However, knowing the Heller supply chain, they won't arrive in time for this GB.

Edited by klr
  • Like 1

Started with the cockpit (a good idea... :D) . Safirs have either green or grey cockpit, so you have to chech references for your individual. The cockpit looks nice OOB, so i just added the mesh left to the rear seat. Very little will be seen anyway though the thick canopy.

50504607926_cb37f870f2_c.jpg

Speaking of canopy... Having built this one before, I completely forgot the big weakness of this nice little kit... Oh, well...

50504607871_e60890ed0a_c.jpg

A thin sheet of plastic covered the underside of the cockpit - Heller did not care about the wheel wells at all.

50503892943_30bfa1aa7b_c.jpg

• Like 7

Yes, I came across the same issues with my earlier build of this kit. Plastic card for the u/c bays and ill fitting canopy which needed a few sessions of heavy filing and micro-mesh. All rewarding in the end though. Your work so far it’s looking really lovely. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

By the way, I changed subject for this build - I thought! Visiting the F 15 wing museum a few weeks ago, I decided to go for that museum's Safir instead. But doing some more research, I discovered that it actually was the same individual as the one pictured above, but transferred to F 15 wing from F 7 wing.

50647951307_e9512283f6_c.jpg

Another thing that I discovered about my first picture above, is that the Bulldog behind is the one that I once flew in, doing my military service in 1990. Of course, I have built it as well, actually twice. Both the Tarangus 1/48:

31843332771_599abc5cfc_c.jpg

...and the ancient 1/72 Airfix, with myself as co-pilot. :)

DSC_0637.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The kits decals are useless, colours and shapes is OK, but the printing quality is too poor. But luckliy, there are lots of goodies in my overfilled Swedish Air Force decals box. I even managed to find the F 15 wing badge. :)

50675361776_0ce4e171e8_c.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Standing on its own legs (although the tiny landing gear is invisible here...) - a relief that it didn't become a tail-sitter. There were not much space for nose weight... A light wash has been applied, now only a coat of matt varnish remains.

50765609607_814a3f3c55_c.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A few small final touches and a layer of matt varnish, and the little Safir is ready for inspection.

50821610448_8fb135effc_c.jpg

A curiosity is that Saab numbered their non-military products in the same line of numbers, regardless if it was an aeroplane or a car. So Saab 90 was a passenger aeroplane (Saab Scandia), Saab 91 was the Safir, Saab 92 was Saab's first car, Saab 93 and 96 were developments of the 92, Saab 94 and 97 was their first sports car (Saab Sonett) and Saab 95 an estate version of the 96. Saab 99 was another car, and Saab 102 later became the Saab 900. But when Saab reached number 105, it was another aeroplane, the Saab 105 jet trainer, actually originally developed for civilian purposes. 

• Like 8

• Bjorn changed the title to 262 - Saab 91B Safir 1/72 +++Finished+++