Mjwomack

Normally with a GB, I charge in at the start, loose mojo, things get broken (sometimes model related) and I Peter out... but this year's been a right old mix up for eveyone so time for a different approach.

10/12 of the GB gone before I start and intimidated already...

I have a thing about lighthouses and so lept at the chance of a model one. I expect lots of us built cardboard Superquick models for model railways 'back in the day', but modern card modelling is a lot more sophiasticated, especially with downloaded ones. But in continental Europe cardboard isn't just for railways- I've seen card kits for jumbo jets (topical) and all manner of WW2 models. But let's keep it simple for now with a lighthouse that I got at a show in Utrecht a couple of years ago

PXL-20201012-085327148.jpg

Inside are the instructions, in English and German

PXL-20201012-085912110.jpg 

And of course the necessary, over 3 sheets

PXL-20201012-090205742.jpg 

The vigilant (always good with a lighthouse) will pick out that the cover is backed with the last section of printing... to make it more exciting this is double sided with the instructions! It's fine for the German speakers, because their instructions are on the back of the 'cover'. The English version will get steadily nibbled away at!

The instructions are a bit old fashioned in their style, rather a case of start at 1 and work through to 11, though some of the sub-assemblies have several parts inside- a kind of cardboard cluster board if anything. Also, I've grown rather soft with Metcalfe's detailed instructions. Anyhow, nothing a good read and a cup of coffee can't solve (here I go again!!)

• Like 6

Decision time! 'Advanced model fans can cut out the windows of the lighthouse'. I'd say I'm only an advanced model fan in that I love models built by advanced modellers. But the choice is to either go with the windows as printed on the tower, or cut out so recessed windows and glue the carefully folder edge round...

PXL-20201015-101631951.jpg 

In the days of UHU or Copydex this would be a non-starter, but with model glue (I use Deluxe Materials - Rocket Card Glue) I've a chance. My plan is to make up the windows and see how dreadful they look before taking the plunge.

So, one down eleven to go and I went boss eyed, I think it was the pattern of the bricks, light relief and a sense of satisfaction by building one of the ancillary buildings.

PXL-20201015-105417282.jpg 

This is diagonally opposite of the tower so shouldn't get in the way. Cunningly there is a centre brace made by gluing two sections back to back, which stops the roof from sagging- very impressive. But yes, you can see the general instructions starting to disappear inside already!!

• Like 4

Mistakes were made, lessons were ingored

So far I've managed one window frame per day, and discovered how effective card glue is on fingers (remarkably so!). This might be a good time to cut my losses, but the ones I have made do look like they're going to be such an improvement on the two dimensional ones that I'm going to keep plugging away.

Another little outbuilding has been added to give my eye-sight a break. It came with a very wide overhand all round, which makes sense given the location of the original and climate- like a small porch. But with hindsight this would've nbeen the moment to break out the light grey acrylic for some detail painting on the underside of the roof. I'll try to remember for the next one.

A section of the perimeter wall will go in soon, it's taken me  while to convince myself that the printed section is far too wide and you ARE meant to trim it right back to give a snug fit.

As I say, mistakes are being made, but it's not too late to learn lessons... especially if this GB makes it through the ballot. In which case, I'd have the confidence to try Schipol airport in card (the original not the current one- I don't have that big a house)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After some prevaricating (I always think that sounds better than procrastinating) I've decided that the recessed windows for the lighthouse tower are too fiddly for me in the time available. And also, that it will be inconsistent as they would be three dimensional whereas the windows on the service buildings will be flat. So, no recessed windows and a chance of progress being of a photograph worthy level

• Like 1

I'm sorry sir, there's  a problem with your card...

Actually there seems to be a problem with the design of the lighthouse; how on earth can a lighthouse need a Juliet balcony🤪

PXL-20201103-193339666.jpg 

But there it is, and it's on the original as well- I suppose it saves going all the way to the top to enjoy the view, or get soaked by the storm. It does show one of the problems of card models and that joining a flat surface to a curve is untidy.

This is also true when you're trying to glue a tube, such as the main tower...

PXL-20201103-193434688.jpg 

Thew lamp room is only placed for an impression, but you can see the seem on the tube where it is under tension and springs back despite the storm like dousing with glue. At least the seam will be in the least conspicuous angle of the completed model. Given how beautifully coloured and printed the model is, and the ingenuity of some of the details- we'll get to the cupola later, it's disappointing how weak the instructions are on details such as how to orientate the last stage of the tower to get the door onto the balcony in the right place, or how the lamp room glass is placed to get the window panes in the right order. Still, peered at the few photos I found and am confident that I don't know anyone who's seen the original to query it.

• Like 3

Some more progress... I'm maintaining my embarrassingly slow work-rate, it should be more than possible to build this model very quickly. Maybe this'll be the weekend I excel myself? Anyhow, a couple of the ancillary boilings are progressing

PXL-20201107-094836649.jpg 

Some of the artwork is exquisite, I appreciate the vertical crack running the length of the tower (probably more than the original occupants did!), also the faithfully reproduced patch on the tin roof of the office block on this side. And, some of it is very ingenious; the steps such as the one's to the tower lobby are actually a ramp with the steps printed. There's also some very neat reverse folds so that the side walls and steps are actually a single piece. Close-up they're not so convincing but it's quick and easier with way less folds and from a viewing distance looks fine.

What is less satisfactory is the structural side of the design. With hindsight I wish I'd noticed this and added my own bracing to the tower, maybe that explains the crack and it's VERY prototypical. Anyhow, I'll be adding a bit of bracing and help connect the lobby roof to the tower.

Onwards and upwards must be an appropriate phrase for a lighthouse! Does anyone ever follow the instructions in a kit? I realised early on that if I did for this one then lots of details would be getting knocked off later in the build. All I did though was kick that particular can down the road and I'm reaching the stage where I'll have to give detailed thought to fitting the details and in what order

• Like 2

Curve Ball Time

I'm in the final straight, which means I've done all the easy bits and happily no chimney pots were dislodged in the process. Only one thing stands between me and some touch-up paint. But it's the hardest bit, the very pretty, church like dome at the top of the tower.

Every medium has it's limitations and with flat materials such as card and metal sheet it's complex curves...

PXL-20201112-113414749.jpg 

It took a lot of rolling over a pencil to get it to conform this well, but there's still gaps. I got to thinking about how a dress-maker would tackle this (just stay with me for a while), they'd either puff it out with big shoulders our put in a few darts. The puffy shoulders approach is out! But I think I can get away with a few darts, I'll put some strands of paper behind the seams to bridge them and then rely on touch-up paint to disguise the joins. See I said you'd just have to stay with my train a thought a little while.

I actually think this is going to make it to RFI rather than sliding across into KUTA land; first time for everything!

• Like 3

From what I can make out the lighthouse might have been a 'local' attraction! Well, a fair few miles and the last bit you have to walk, cycle or ride a horse but sort of close. Certainly hard enough to reach for me to give up on the idea in my fantasy world of 'after covid'

Certainly card modelling seems to be more popular on the continent but in the absence of a companion website which I guess would be Euromodeller (pronounced youramodeller) it's staying on Britmodeller!

Who Knew? Clearly @Corsairfoxfouruncle did because canopy glue can be used as a filler for card models!

What was already known was how ham-fisted I am, so I forgot that card flexes a lot more than plastic and promptly broke the seal. Anyhow, restoration has be made and they'll be some photos in the gallery this evening. Means I'm hours away from completing a model this year after all🤪

• Like 1

🤣 I did wonder if I was tempting Providence when I said I'd have this finished tonight but I really do! Touched up the folds and joins with some paint and off we go.

It was a learning experience! Amazing what is possible with card nowadays, the manufacturer's website is full of models (search Schreiber-Bogen), If the Anything But injection GB makes the cut (and thanks to all the supporters who've voted) then I'd be back with some more card and build on the experience of this one. Such as backing the larger pieces with thicker card. But it's been a relaxing change.