Belkits MG Metro 6R4

Windy37

That looks really nice. I too am keen on this kit, such a beast of a rally car and they just are not the same these days; haven't been for a long time.  IIRC the engine was a bit of a tight squeeze on the real thing so I guess they've just scaled that down 🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Windy37 said:

The 6R4 mentioned above made £575,000 ! 
Gary . 

Blimey  I only got £400, trade in for mine back in the late 90's.  However mine was a 1.4s with rust everywhere you would expect it and plenty were you wouldn't.  Andy.  PS I should have mentioned it first, the interior is looking really good 👍 

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

Blimey  I only got £400, trade in for mine back in the late 90's.  However mine was a 1.4s with rust everywhere you would expect it and plenty were you wouldn't.  Andy.  PS I should have mentioned it first, the interior is looking really good 👍 

I learnt to drive in one back in 1986 . It was a 1.0 and on the hill start it used to struggle to pull away up a particularly steep local hill ! Thanks for your comments. 

Gary . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toftdale said:

A point of order here I feel - there is nowhere on a Metro I wouldn't expect to find rust :wink: 

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

I’ve just read the Jag XJ220 uses the same engine albeit modified to accommodate the turbos etc. Mental!

Absolutely, it's quite interesting to see the engine Gary has built for this one and see how similar it is to the one I'm doing for the XJ220 at the moment.

As for this build, while it's a shame about the steering arm it's not the most visible part ever so shouldn't impact on the overall look of the model, just means that you'll have to choose which angle to pose the front wheels at now rather than when you display it. Still looks good though - keep it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

More interior work this weekend on the Metro . Nice detail touches are the master key and a 2 way radio . Detail that will become lost when the seats are fitted are photo etch seat mounts , battery , ECU and top of the fuel tank . Works 6R4 s were right hand drive with only the Rev counter facing the driver , all the other dials the co driver had to monitor , as well as reading pace notes ....

50634166611_e4350fec83_c_d.jpg

On the centre console are a bank of black relays . There are some decals to colour these , but research shows they were uncoloured in period , so that’s how I’ve left them . The drivers footwell isn’t Kevlar , it’s just how the light has caught it .

50633418843_f3f76615dd_c_d.jpg

50634253332_e27af62229_c_d.jpg

Next job will be seats and dashboard . Thanks for looking, 

Gary . 

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Kitkent said:

Looking very good! There's a lot of detail packed into this kit,no aftermarket stuff needed. Even includes a  wheelbrace.Chris.

There’s even a map reading light to fit later in the build ! 
Gary . 

2 hours ago, Windy37 said:

More interior work this weekend on the Metro . Nice detail touches are the master key and a 2 way radio . Detail that will become lost when the seats are fitted are photo etch seat mounts , battery , ECU and top of the fuel tank . Works 6R4 s were right hand drive with only the Rev counter facing the driver , all the other dials the co driver had to monitor , as well as reading pace notes ....

50634166611_e4350fec83_c_d.jpg

If you get caught speeding in one of these between stages, would it be the driver or co-driver who gets the penalty? I'd love to see "The speedo's on the other side" used in an appeal against a speed camera...

Good work on the dash, they always feel like they take a long time but well worth getting it right as you have here. :yes:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spiny said:

If you get caught speeding in one of these between stages, would it be the driver or co-driver who gets the penalty? I'd love to see "The speedo's on the other side" used in an appeal against a speed camera...

Good work on the dash, they always feel like they take a long time but well worth getting it right as you have here. :yes:

David Llewellin and Phil Short got caught speeding on 1986 RAC Rally in a works Metro if I remember rightly . Maybe Phil paid the fine then ...

Really neat interior Gary, very tidy!

10 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Maybe Phil paid the fine then ...

Bet he didn't - it would be the usual co-driver response of ''I told him to slow down, but he never listens....!!'' :)

Keith

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Really neat interior Gary, very tidy!

Bet he didn't - it would be the usual co-driver response of ''I told him to slow down, but he never listens....!!'' :)

Keith

Thanks ,Keith . 

Metro progress . Seats built this weekend. The kit comes with photoetch harness buckles and fasteners and red ribbon for the harnesses . I had fully intended to percivier and use these , which would have been a first for me on a build . However ...... this proved too fiddly for my eyes and patience. Full marks to all you builders out there who use these tiny parts to make harnesses ! I reverted back to my tried and tested method of red electricians tape , overlaid with the harness decals provided . The belts themselves fasten onto loops on the rear bulkhead . I cut through these and pushed the tape between the two halves and this is holding the belts secure . 
A before and after the decals were applied . 
50657103821_e3b6f5ca5a_c_d.jpg

Oddly there’s no mention in the instructions about the Recaro decal on the seats , but as they are on the decal sheet I assumed they must be for the seats , so that’s where they’ve gone .

50661405003_9d9612a22f_c_d.jpg

These rubber parts need to be painted silver as they fit under the engine bay and run alongside the engine as fluid pipes .

50662138406_2535f8f7ce_c_d.jpg

The pipes taped awaiting engine to be fitted . It’ll be a tight fit !

50662231602_d33510178c_k_d.jpg

Thanks for looking   
  Gary.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

They look pretty effective Gary - and there must be so much less swearing involved than using p.e. and ribbon. Or is that just me...?!

Metro is coming along nicely!

Keith

Think the whole street was wondering what was going on at no37 on Saturday afternoon , Keith !

Gary. 

• Haha 2

They look pretty good, don't think you need to bother with the kit seat belts if they drive you mad. I know the Fiesta ones were a challenge, even with fine tweezers and magnifying headset so would imagine they'd be tricky on this too. That interior is coming together well - keep it up.

Surprised that the pipes were moulded in the soft rubbery stuff. At least your paint is staying on - I had a lot of trouble with paint flaking off that material on mine.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Gary

I'll get round to doing one of mine soon, hopefully

Looking forward to a bit of bench time over Christmas now the kitchen is finished and the hall is nearly done :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Coming along nicely Gary

I'll get round to doing one of mine soon, hopefully

Looking forward to a bit of bench time over Christmas now the kitchen is finished and the hall is nearly done :) 

Ian :) 

You sound like me, I've just finished the bedrooms! I've bought some Tony Pond decals and the paints. Just a load of other models to finish first now, trying to resist just making this one first

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments.  This is my first indoors build in a while . My last few were done in the garden summer house ; loads of natural light and no dust particles ! This is a good kit to do , you just need to get used to Belkits way of thinking with the build . 

Gary . 

Metro interior and engine bay all finished now . Another niggle for prospective future 6R4 builders .... The interior tub only fits with two pegs , on opposite sides , one at front , one at back . So therefore it’s not a tight fit and while the glue sets is moving slightly off the level . Why 4 mounting pegs weren’t used , I can’t work out . The roll cage looks incredibly flimsy by today’s spiders web style cages ! 
  This is the car I’m using for detail , a very genuine ex works car driven in 1986 by Malcom Wilson . 
50665352542_57dcb21311_c_d.jpg

Such a pity on the kit the engine is spoilt by the white bar around the end of the tub . 
50686879443_671002926f_c_d.jpg

There’s a map reading light on the roll cage , co drivers side . 
50687631576_55f5e3acb4_c_d.jpg

The bulkhead is Perspex . Can’t have stopped much noise though ! The inlet trumpet air filters don’t seem to sit right , but on the real thing they do seem to be a bit skew wif . 

50686879128_c96a41a2a1_c_d.jpg
50686879318_17ebb83ef1_c_d.jpg

Next it’s onto the body shell . Thanks for your interest , 

Gary . 

• Like 10