Belkits MG Metro 6R4

Windy37

After two successful Aoshima Beemax builds this year , I’m making a start on the Belkits MG Metro 6R4 . First impressions on what will be my first Belkits build are the large amount of tiny detail parts in the box . Coming from builds of larger cars , the Metro shows it’s smallness in the body shell . It seems tiny ! The parts are all clean and tidy , with no smoothing to be done . 
  I sprayed the body , chassis and wheels with primer then gloss white as I felt the plastic was too white . I will be building out of the box as I feel there’s plenty of detail , most of which will be hidden when complete. 

The box and parts . The difference in whites shows here .

50447389011_5718f29107_c_d.jpg

Parts painted Tamiya Flat Aluminium ans Humbrol Semi Gloss Black , which I find less glossy than Tamiya SGB . 

50450933958_1bc0ed5582_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking , Gary . 

• Like 17

I nearly bought one, but then I realised I already had too much in the pipeline. There are already loads of aftermarket goodies out there to tempt the unwary modeller 😄

There are deals to be had on the RRP if you look around t'internet.

Edited by mbdesignart
more info + typo
  • Like 1

I will definitely be following - this is right up at the top of my wishlist for filling the one space in the stash. Shame Hiroboy seem to be out of the Malcolm Wilson version at the moment, but I guess that's convenient with me needing to get a Mustang for the GB,

Looks as though you've made a good start on this. Based on their Fiesta, I'd say that Belkits make good kits which go together well so I hope  it lives up to your first impressions. The only thing I'd say to watch out for is the decals - they were very thick on the Fiesta.

And in the very unlikely event you wanted more inspiration... I found this in my old photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VWoQ1gfU4a3fBdur9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 8:54 PM, Spiny said:

I will definitely be following - this is right up at the top of my wishlist for filling the one space in the stash. Shame Hiroboy seem to be out of the Malcolm Wilson version at the moment, but I guess that's convenient with me needing to get a Mustang for the GB,

Looks as though you've made a good start on this. Based on their Fiesta, I'd say that Belkits make good kits which go together well so I hope  it lives up to your first impressions. The only thing I'd say to watch out for is the decals - they were very thick on the Fiesta.

And in the very unlikely event you wanted more inspiration... I found this in my old photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VWoQ1gfU4a3fBdur9

Thanks for the photo link , Spiny . Ive got loads of photos of 6R4s on demo and rally events . It's not until you compare them that you notice differences between different cars . The bootlid on the kit  doesn't open and I'm not brave enough to cut it to open , so all that engine detail will be mainly hidden . 

Gary.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having had another painting blitz , I managed to get the engine and gearbox built . There’s some detail painting to be done here and looking at photos of actual engines it seems there’s a huge variation in parts and therefore colours used . I am struggling to find good pictures of genuine works cars engines from the period so , have used my judgement . As such , semi gloss black cam covers , which also I have seen in grey ..... When I get to exhaust fitment that’s another minefield of difference. Anyway , here’s the V64V engine and gearbox . The camera has picked up the touching up that needs to be done and my hands unsteadyness around the belts and pulleys !

50502615086_4dc07cbbc7_c_d.jpg

50502615256_a6d017c503_c_d.jpg

50502614921_7d5a7f3874_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking, Gary . 

• Like 12

Cracking on with the engine . My research came up with a variety of different colours for the exhausts . The instructions suggested flat metallic grey , but I went with Tamiya gunmetal , overpainted with Humbrol Matt clear . The exhausts are a big feature on the Metro , so I think it’s a shame they are going to be hidden when the body is on . I had thought about cutting the rear hatch off , and doing away with the mounting bar but I don’t feel brave enough to attempt it . Heres some shots of the work so far . 
   Tiny decals applied to cam covers , exhausts masked to paint mounting straps . 
50514274997_cd13590f59_c_d.jpg

A proper engine ! 
50514275092_a8269912c8_c_d.jpg

The engine , with exhausts , needs squeezing through the square space at the back of the floor pan . This proved difficult. A corner was obstructing the engine , so I cut the corner away and managed to get the engine dry fitted into position . 
50514275337_80e4ea147e_c_d.jpg

The exhausts push into the white bar that doesn’t exist on the real car . The body also fits into place on this bar . 
50514275897_704ef5b78d_c_d.jpg

A tight fit !

50513397493_b504b5d53c_c_d.jpg

View from underneath . I painted the gear linkage and some pipe work at the front. 
50514108011_b546ed8b42_c_d.jpg

Cant see much of that engine detail with the body on ......

50513397038_0f82a612fe_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking

Gary .  

• Like 13

That's looking good, making rapid and quality progress.

I'm sure I'll speak for everyone who has either bought or is eyeing up this kit when I say thanks for the warning about getting the engine in. I'll try and remember that in the probably 5 or so years time when I get around to building one!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Spiny said:

That's looking good, making rapid and quality progress.

I'm sure I'll speak for everyone who has either bought or is eyeing up this kit when I say thanks for the warning about getting the engine in. I'll try and remember that in the probably 5 or so years time when I get around to building one!

The engine was real head scratcher moment , because it needs to be fitted with both exhausts in place . I thought “it’ll never go in there “ , but a bit of patience and in it squeezed . I get the feeling Tamiya would have had a better idea on engine fitment though . 
  Gary . 

The kit comes with HT leads that are made from black rubber , 3 for each side of the engine. I tried to fit them as they came off the sprue , but this proved impossible. So I decided to cut the leads into individuals . Although very fiddly , the leads then fitted where they should . When fitted , the leads weren’t tidy so I used masking tape to pull them together, in a bunch . I then painted the masking tape black .  

Other jobs done , prop shaft , chassis strengther bars and rear halfshafts fitted . I have painted the bar above the exhausts Matt black to try and hide it once the body is fitted .

One thing I have noticed when cutting parts off the sprues is how soft the plastic is . It’s seems to bend and flex very easily. 

One half of the HT leads fitted . A very fiddly job ....
50529140637_75781a7a6c_c_d.jpg

Masking tape used to bunch the leads together.  The white bar above the exhausts  now Matt black . Disguises it better I think . 

50528985626_13dc549a0f_c_d.jpg

Ready for suspension subframes next . 

50528256693_7a9f9c8fa6_k_d.jpg

Thanks for looking , 

Gary. 

• Like 13

Got to admit I've really not looking forward to trying to install leads. Good job on yours, and a good idea with the masking tape.

This one is starting to come together pretty well by the looks of it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Spiny said:

Got to admit I've really not looking forward to trying to install leads. Good job on yours, and a good idea with the masking tape.

This one is starting to come together pretty well by the looks of it.

I must admit , I nearly gave up and used some wire I make aerials from . Glad i persevered though . 

Gary . 

• Like 2

Looking good. Going to be a while until I start my one though. Did you glue the exhausts at all in step 2? Looking at the instructions initially I couldn't see what they meant by don't glue yet. But I now think after your troubles it means no glue on any part of the exhausts, not just where they meet. When looking at the diagram the dot and dash  line is on all parts, but the do not glue yet text only points to where they meet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deanali said:

Looking good. Going to be a while until I start my one though. Did you glue the exhausts at all in step 2? Looking at the instructions initially I couldn't see what they meant by don't glue yet. But I now think after your troubles it means no glue on any part of the exhausts, not just where they meet. When looking at the diagram the dot and dash  line is on all parts, but the do not glue yet text only points to where they meet. 

Hi , Deanali . Thanks for your interest. I dry fitted the exhausts, which was fun as they kept falling off as I tried to manipulate them through the gap into their position. I too didn’t really get what the “do not glue now “ meant as once the engine is in place it would be nearly impossible to apply glue . Sometimes a bit of trial and error is needed . Generally, the instructions are pretty good . My previous 3 builds were Aoshima Beemax cars and their instruction booklets were very vague . I’ve included a shot of the relevant instruction so others can have a ponder ! 
50534021891_3fb38953ae_c_d.jpg

On 10/28/2020 at 3:18 PM, Toftdale said:

Looks good and just in case your interested and have a spare couple of quid Silverstone  Auctions have a real one for sale.  The Auction takes place on the 13th and 14th of November 😃

I'm using the photos of this car as reference for my model.  It's a genuine,  largely original spec . car .  So many have been modified or given modern upgrades it's been hard to find decent reference material.  Thanks for looking  , Gary . 

• Like 1