Deperdussin Monocoque 1912, AJP Maquettes, 1/48

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to show this model here because it does not contain plastic.:coolio:

Deperdussin Monocoque 1912  

Very early this year I started a project without any plastic - a multimedia kit with many PE parts made by the french company AJP Maquettes in 1/48: Deperdussin Monocoque
Other projects have interrupted this build, but now the aircraft is complete.

This was a very successful racing aircraft 1912 and 1913. A nice article about the original:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deperdussin_Monocoque

I first wanted to show the hull wrapped from thin wood. The hull of the kit is also made from wood, but the grain was too coarse. So I changed my mind and modeled the existing machine in the Paris Air and Space Museum.
800px-Deperdussin_Monocoque_%28MAE%29.JP
Source: wikimedia.org

I scratched a lot of parts, made a complete new cowling with help of some parts turned on lathe. The wings and tail planes are thickened with wooden strips and covered with paper. This model is equipped with a 14-cylinder rotary engine Gnome Lambda-Lambda made by Small Stuff and turnbuckles by Gaspatch models. The air screw and steering wheel are again real wood.

There are no decals in the kit, so I cut masks with my electronic cutter and airbrushed the markings. Here mainly Gunze paints are used, and Alclad primer and metal paints. The wooden parts in the cockpit are painted with acrylics.

For more information you are invited to browse through the build log, if not done already:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10851

I really like the model - the shadows through the translucent wings and the new engine cowling are my highlights! Really pity that many of the AJP models are to big for my wall cabinet.

This racer looks very elegant and fast, much more modern than all the biplanes that appeared years later!

And now enjoy the pictures:

uc?export=view&id=1T7u2fheE0ib9-bS4hFl5X

uc?export=view&id=1K_qu9y24YZwhJSfAAc6n1

uc?export=view&id=1TarNF_rJSLTOFZ7HgmgyS

uc?export=view&id=1TEmw5h1IsnzwH5FUOif3R

uc?export=view&id=1q--RAyLZR1rExR0uk69hU

uc?export=view&id=1SQ6q0gcFZdNs4Ns0jLaHL

uc?export=view&id=1-JZB0KVZ0A52ReqH7ccz6

uc?export=view&id=1swKga9EuV4Lbwsnmu1DdI

uc?export=view&id=1eSG_S7p0-Q34XpfmT5kQh

uc?export=view&id=1tMkxZjjVnSA8ckEHQyDtb

uc?export=view&id=1PCu_fIp9C-QChWZ9cxJi0

uc?export=view&id=1RCotj1zcjwhy46C-R0pjJ

Cheers,
Frank

• Like 32
  • Thanks 7

You  say: 'I  really  enjoy the  model'. 

Well I can say you'te not the only one. It's  magnificent.

If Britmodeller is anything it's an opportunity for  people to  expose their work to an appreciateieve audience not just  Brits. All of us.

It's  marvellous. We  want to  see more.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, noelh said:

You  say: 'I  really  enjoy the  model'. 

Well I can say you'te not the only one. It's  magnificent.

If Britmodeller is anything it's an opportunity for  people to  expose their work to an appreciateieve audience not just  Brits. All of us.

It's  marvellous. We  want to  see more.

Eloquently said and undeniably true. And I totally agree!

• Thanks 2

At first thank you all for your nice comments! :worthy:

21 hours ago, Moa said:

I also scratched this plane but in 1/72nd, and as it was at the time it won the race, with a different cowl and a paint of the Mona Lisa on the fuselage side.

I found your model, but the links to the pictures are broken :sad:

Yes, it was a nice racer, won the Gordon Bennet Trophy 1912, 1913 and the Monaco Schneider 1913 as seaplane version.

Do you know the meaning of the flag on the tail?

19 hours ago, noelh said:

We  want to  see more.

Of this aircraft or more of my work in general? I think many of my models are listed herein RFI, if you search for my account as author. The search here is a bit problematic, you have to use a word additionally, e.g. aircraft.

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

How about one piece of plastic - a pilot?

None of my aircrafts has a base or pilot, due to the display:

uc?export=view&id=1YG93r7leF-EMG2bQMyPtc

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Bughunter said:

I found your model, but the links to the pictures are broken

Strange, I checked yesterday and they were working.

Here they are reloaded:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235043464-deperdussin-1912-gordon-bennett-race-winner-scratch-built-172/

Perhaps I knew 10 years ago when I built the model, but do not remember now what the flag means. There is a moderate amount of material related to this plane, and it's possible a description is given somewhere, most likely in the French Gallica digital archives.

• Thanks 1

That cannot have been an easy project, Frank - but what a result - stunning and something rarely seen as a model.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Epeeman said:

That cannot have been an easy project,

My plan was to keep the wooden fuselage, but it looks not good stained. And the Paris aircraft needs this very special cowling, so I put this project aside until I had the right idea.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank,

Just when I believe it is not possible, you show that it indeed is.  I am in awe at the superb quality of this masterpiece and your attention to detail is first rate.  I applaud your effort in creating this glorious subject!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

I managed again to convert a somehow easy kit with not so many parts into a big effort scratch affair. But it was worth it and gives the first aircraft ever to reach 200,8km/h (200km in 59min45sec) a place of honour in my showcase.

On the other hand my masterpiece are other models with more effort spent.

Cheers,

Frank

Thank you Gary!

I would like to mention that my kit contained a real wooden fuselage. Some review showed a resin one, but I got wood:

spacer.png

It was predrilled and hardened inside on the thin front part:

spacer.png

I don't know how to get a wooden or resin kit if prefered since this is not mentioned outside.

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Having followed your build log and seen the photos already, I have to write that it is a real pleasure to read through an abbreviated log and ogle the finished model photos again.

I think that you would build some excellent scratch build models Frank - you have come very close to doing so with this one!

P

• Thanks 1

Thank you P!

A complete scratch work would be a nice experience, but ... I have so many nice kits in my stash that I need all the seven lives of a cat to build them. Since I guess that a full scratch work takes more time I prefer to work away a number of kits. If those are done, I can continue with your suggestion. I even own a lot of resin kits and haven't built one of them yet. This will be a special experience.:blahblahblah:

It's a real pity that I can't get to anything at the moment.

Cheers,

Frank