Meng 1:35 Sd.Kfz. 173 Jagdpanther Ausf. G1

Hi all,

Well, probably my 4th AFV since I got back into the hobby, and one close to my heart. Always loved the Jagdpanther and I last built the Matchbox 1:72 one back when I was a kid. Always knew I'd build a bigger (and hopefully better!) one eventually, and I finally got it done over the summer.

This is built out of the box and it's a lovely kit, apart from some over-engineering. The tracks are the perfect example of this, over 500 parts in them alone, and while they look ok, it's not really worth the effort. Next time I'd definitely get metal tracks. I went with the most striking scheme in the box, and some research online suggests it's either fictional or a mistake, but I still liked it so thought what the hell, I'll do it anyhow. Lots of new methods for me in this build; first time doing freehand camo on armour for a start. Also used oils and pastels to try to weather it to look a bit faded, used an AK Engines & Metals weathering set and tried to get some dirt and mud splatter effects on it too. All in all, I'm happy with it, it's not as good as I'd hoped, but much better than my other armour builds and I was glad I tried new things to see how they'd work!

Enough waffle, here are the pics! All comments welcome as always...

Kit: Meng Sd.Kfz. 173 Jagdpanther Ausf. G1
Scale: 1:35
Paint & Weathering: MRP and Tamiya paints, Oils, Pastels & AK Weathering Set for weathering
Extras: None

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Longbow said:

Very nice !!

Any info on the camouflage scheme ?

I did a bit of research and I think it's based on a pic of what's called the Aberdeen Jagdpanther, and there's some uncertainty if the scheme is the paint degraded over the years, or a paint job added after capture. In the end it's probably not an accurate scheme at all, but I still liked the look of it!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

I did a bit of research and I think it's based on a pic of what's called the Aberdeen Jagdpanther, and there's some uncertainty if the scheme is the paint degraded over the years, or a paint job added after capture. In the end it's probably not an accurate scheme at all, but I still liked the look of it!

It looks good !!

I know the Bovington JP is painted the same, but I haven’t looked into it at all. 

Ah cool, hadn't seen the Bovington one, just looked it up now, looks very similar, though the white is outlining the brown, instead of in the middle of it. Kinda glad I hadn't seen it, would have been harder to do!