Bf 110 Berta in 1/72 - possibilities?

Kari Lumppio

Hello!

Not a very British theme but anyway. Is there any other sensible routes to a 1/72 Bf 110 B than LF Models resin kit?

Hannants has it (now) £57.40 so pretty hefty sum. Though it is cheaper than scratch building if one's time is at least some money.

I would be happy to know other's thoughts.

Cheers,

Kari

I've researched this topic and in my opinion the differences between the "B" and "C" are not that deep. Mostly the engine radiators (under the engines not under the wings) and rounded wingtips. It can be done from scratch, using the excellent Eduard Bf 110C kit.

Hello!

Thanks GrzeM. I shall study Messerschmitt Bf110 B, C, D and E (book by Vasco & Estanislau) if it gives enough data for modification work. I agree Eduard 1/72 Bf 110s are the best.

I should have some old Ju 87B kit too tucked somewhere. It might help some with the radiator intake shapes?

But there are no Bf 110 B resin engines or somesuch to hunt?

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

24 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

've researched this topic and in my opinion the differences between the "B" and "C" are not that deep. Mostly the engine radiators (under the engines not under the wings) and rounded wingtips. It can be done from scratch, using the excellent Eduard Bf 110C kit.

ditto. I have just started thinking on this conversion few weeks ago when coolers from He -111 C kit left in my spare parts box after conversion of Heinkel 111 C into G-3 variant. 

I think that good drawings are in one of Polish monography of Bf 110

The same (?) drawings are available in net

https://www.the-blueprints.com/vectordrawings/show/19799/messerschmitt_bf_110_b-1/

messerschmitt_bf_110_b-1.jpg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

One also has to replace three bladed propellers with two bladed ones. Cheers

Jure

Later B had for sure 3 blades...

Me_110B_M8-HL_3ZG_76_Olmutz_sep39.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGm1CvXV3fTZ-YuZx65Ih

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

Hello

Thanks for the correction, J-W, duly noted. Some time ago I toyed with the idea of such a conversion as I wanted to build a 'long range' Bf 110 B in service during Fall Weiss. I had already converted the wings of the old Monogram kit, which, given the kit's shortcomings like incorrect wing's leading edge angle between the fuselage and the engine, perhaps was not a particularly wise choice. On the other hand, conversion of the kit's undernourished engines would probably be less complicated. Cheers

Jure