1/48 Panther G w/zimmerit

ScanmanDan

Well I thought I'd wonder off and start some old wingy thing but once I got that box open and started messing about I could tell my heart wasn't really into it.  The squirrels were playing pretty hard in the side yard so I started rummaging thought the darker recesses of the to build pile and found an old Panther G that I had bought, got the PE sets, turned barrel and even a MP zimmerit set for then promptly forgot about.  Not exactly true as I can remember looking at the zimmerit set and those boxes on the rear plate and thinking, " Not tonight Josephine."  Well courage and sticking points met the weekend and here's the results.

spacer.png

Not perfect but better than I had hoped.  Used good old Mr Cement S to stick the paper to the plastic.  I didn't even thin it by sanding this time.  But used some thin CA from Zap to 'seal' the paper after the cement had evaporated.

spacer.png

I used some Games Workshop liquid Green Stuff putty to try and soften the transitions around the edges and that seems to work okay.  Needs lots of coats to get any results but doesn't seem to clog any of the zimmer detail and cleans ups with water so doesn't like setting on the metal/pastic hull or the coated paper/CA which works to my advantage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rest of the hull went pretty quickly but I should have used the full piece on the MG ball mount.  If I had been smarter I would have used a little water to wet the piece and then pressed the ball mount into it stretching and shaping it to fit. Once it dried it would have been easy to attach/trim as were the flat parts.  

I've started on add some of the PE and I'm trying to raise the turret a touch so it docent sit/drag on the upper hull.  I think I'll zimmerit and assemble the turret shell first before I attach the turret base.  Fun build so far.  Part of me wants to 3D print some replacement tracks as I have some brilliant designs from Alexandr Uhlik to try but the squirrels are chattering about keeping it simple.  So far so good. 

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 10

Thanks Simon, though I don't think mine is good enough to run with that crowd.

I really like the form of the Panther but think the Panzer IV should get more credit for being the bigger threat on the battlefield.  I'm am dazzled by just how many different camouflage schemes there are for the Panther.  Looks as if you can think it then somebody, somewhere tried it.

Still a bit weird building the hull and turret before the running gear but then I wanted to get that zimmerit finished.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I tried some green stuff welds but didn't twig to rolling the putty between two plates to get nice even rolls until the wife suggested it.  The welds are too big and rough but ya gotta learn somehow. 

Nearly art the red primer stage.  I'm going to try something a bit different in the painting on this one to see if I like the results.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 5

A little progress;

Schruzen hangers needed fixing once I noticed them while looking at some photos of the real tank.  I thought that they were bolted on but no, they have a neato bent metal bracket.  Soooo, off the the races and I added some plastic and brass bits and used the paper schurzen from the MP zimmerit set.  I did use very thin superglue to stiffen the paper and it looks pretty good.  They are removable too :)   

I'm interested to see how durable they will be in the end.  Might just have well gone with the plastic ones from the kit but I wanted something thinner, with overlap and only a partial set on display.

The tough part will be sticking to it and doing the other side as this was fun working out what would work, the other side is just boring repetition.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Thank you Simon, You are too kind.

Last progress on this for a bit while I await the metal tracks from Canada.  I am going to see if I can make the early Friulmodel Panther track work, I know they aren't quite right but, eh?  If not I'll use them on the D I have in the stash   Should be a bit of a lark as I haven't used any of those metal track before.  

A few bits to futz with on this until then but I'm not holding my breath about shipping times these days as the mail services are stretched pretty thin.  Our Posties are having to send mail outside my own state for sorting because of lockdown conditions, but have started deliveries on Sat and Sun to help spread the load.  All things considered they are doing a heck of a good job.  So if I have to wait a bit who cares 

Pic of the base primer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That MP zimmerit came out better than I had hoped.

Thanks for looking in .

Dan

• Like 8

On 10/13/2020 at 5:19 AM, SimonT said:

On 10/15/2020 at 2:56 AM, ScanmanDan said:

Thanks Simon, though I don't think mine is good enough to run with that crowd.

Non-sense Dan... As the host of said group build Im happy to telly you that any/everyone is welcome. I don't even expect a finished product. My number one rule is to have fun and enjoyment from the build. Though yours is a bit to done to truly be entered as there us a no more than 25% started rule. If you were so inclined to do another including paper-panzers or prototypes you would be quite welcome. Even if you choose to not build anything for the group-build come take a look at the wonderful work being put up. 

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Panther%20G%2014-XL.jpg

Panther%20G%2013-XL.jpg

Latest progress.  I tried out some Friulmodel tracks for the first time and I gotta say I like them a lot.  Expensive but a joy to work with and I think they look darn nice.  I'll play with the other side tomorrow but now that I know what I'm doing they should got together pretty quickly. Pretty close to getting to paint this sucker.  

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Panther Progress;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The AK Burnishing fluid worked well but I found that I needed to mechanically clean the links with a fibre glass pen before it work well.  I think next time I'll spend a bit more time getting each of the links cleaner before I assemble them.  The base colour yellow is on but I'm having a devil of a time getting my airbrushes to spray well enough to do a good freehand camouflage pattern.  I might just do a 'cloudy patten' or stick with a plain yellow beast.  

I'm at that point where all I can see are my mistakes and 'bits you could better next time' so I need to just push on and finish before the smashing hammer comes out. 

• Like 5

I didn't think I could get any decals to settle into all that nice zimmerit texture so I busted out the Silhouette stencil cutter.  Nice to have the right tool for the job.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not perfect but better than I had hoped.  This was the last thing I was really worried about so the build becomes fun again.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 7

Progress;

Hull basically finished, well as much as I'm willing to do.  Maybe some oil paints and dirt but that's about all.  The turret is next and the spare track hangers.  ( Soldering tiny brass parts, looks like heaps of fun...not.)

A fun build but like a lot of my builds I can see so much to fix.  I do like those metal tracks though, and the zimmerit.  I think next one will be the Elephant, no the Panzer IV no the..... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dan

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...