A light like thirty torches (1/48 Eduard Spitfire I)

I miss you all very much, and I dearly need to get back to the bench. Last night I had 50 ml of some rather nice port Mrs P picked up, and dreamed I was at Heathrow with Cookie and Bill, getting ready to go to Telford again. Here's hoping that's prophetic.

• Like 19

I think we’d all drink to that; last year’s shared days at Boscombe Down with you guys, with @CedB and @The Baron at Yeovilton, and with @Terry1954 at Bovingdon feel an all-too-distant memory now.  

I very much look forward to future repeats - not to mention a Telford 2021  re-rendezvous with half the population of this board.

My other passion in relaxation terms, besides modelling, is singing - I am lucky enough in normal times to sing fairly regularly (20-30 times a year) with Salisbury Cathedral Choir.  Last Wednesday I did so again, for a BBC broadcast (repeated on Radio 3 at 3pm this coming Sunday, if anyone is interested) - the first time I have sung with anyone else since late-January.  It was an absolute joy to do; I haven’t stopped smiling since.  Just like modelling, you have to really concentrate to do it well, so you can easily go for several hours and suddenly realise that you haven’t thought about anything else - not work, not stressy things, not the ridiculous fight you had with that Git in IT - for half a day.  And that’s very, very healthy.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I very much look forward to future repeats - not to mention a Telford 2021  re-rendezvous with half the population of this board.

Absolutely agree with that. My accomodation for Telford 2021 is already booked (Holiday Inn, right on the Campus), and that event has become an even bigger highlight of my modelling year, these days as much for the social interaction with all you folk, than for the obvious hobby specifics. And I'm sure when things lighten up early next year with whatever vaccine concoctions science blesses us with, those museum visits can be re-planned. We all have some catching up to do!

Those who know me are aware of my larger than average immediate family, and this year has been a very challenging one for Karen and I as we have seen so little of our offspring and grand offspring. Missing them all immensely. Other hobbies, interests and distractions are so key as Crisp alludes.

Salisbury Cathedral choir, wow! I've heard them once or twice as many years ago we lived in Broughton, and Salisbury was our regular go to city. Beautiful place. In my youth I belonged to a church choir. Initially I did it for the pocket money (weekly pay plus 3s 6d per wedding or funeral), and I grew to love it!

I shall tune in at 3pm on Sunday to see if I can pick out your dulcet tones!

Terry

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

My other passion in relaxation terms, besides modelling, is singing - I am lucky enough in normal times to sing fairly regularly (20-30 times a year) with Salisbury Cathedral Choir. 

The tallest choir in Europe!

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

On 12/3/2020 at 6:13 PM, Procopius said:

dreamed I was at Heathrow with Cookie and Bill, getting ready to go to Telford again. Here's hoping that's prophetic.

That would definitely be a dream come true.

Hope you and the fam are doing well PC.

• Like 7

I think this is contagious Edward. Here too no modelling has been done for some time (October, according to my last thread update). I sat down yesterday to try to break the jam, but got bored after sticking two small parts to something and parked it up again.

Meh. It's only toy planes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I've missed it!

What scale? Ah, that'll be why it filtered out of my update checks then…

Here now and following, of course, I just need to go back and catch up :( 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Sadly, not much has happened for some time. 

And you think YOU are different because?

Eddie baby we are all having vast holes in our modelling mental/actual spaces.      

The nearest to different for you is that most modellers I follow are here in Europe and the UK and few of us give me the lift in spirit I get from seeing the much lamented hedgepig who is your American avatar.

You take adversity, (I think you are taking too much by the way, you should leave some for the rest of us) deal with it and let it burden you not us.

Always have a friend or two hundred here Ed.

When you are ready...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Well that's me caught up… 'like' like a teenager, like :) 

Still IMHO the best read on the forum.

Probably the best read 'in the world' (bet you did the voice).

I admire your literary ability matey - still keeping 'em rolling in the aisles.

Comments from me - I took notes (sad).

Interesting scar. “I got it saving a virgin from a bear.” Believable. Apart from the virgin bit, obvs.

Boys being boys (even with long hair). Hah! I'm definitely like Grant, as I think are you. My sister-in-law had two little bas boys and I fondly remember (not) them throwing the stones from our dry wall about in the garden. Her 'discipline'? "Oh, boys will be boys". Pah! I'm with you PC, spare the rod and all that… Her two, in their teens, were both posting their drug taking on FaceBook (reported by my two 'angels'). Just saying. You reap what you sow.

Low mojo - likewise. I had a bad period when I just couldn't pick up the tools but, thankfully, I think that time has passed.

Making something is important*, to me anyway. Even if it is only a model airplane. 

* Not shelves, obviously. Or painted woodwork. Or any DIY come to that. Stick to your long suit I say.

Another child? Um…

Consider the number three… how many hands can you hold? How many seats in the car if you ever want to take someone else along? Can you buy a three seat stroller?

A good friend planned two and then, second pregnancy, had twins. He hated it.

Low mojo in October - not just me then!

Ah, December! Dreaming of Heathrow… fond memories here too PC, fond memories indeed.

Oh, by the way, nice modelling! You haven't lost your touch :) 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CedB said:

I had a bad period when I just couldn't pick up the tools.

Woof, snort

A good friend planned two and then, second pregnancy, had twins. He hated it.

I can black cat that; when I was a very young & callow Sub/Lt in HMS Boxer (pre-flying) I had a Killick TAS-Ape [sorry, a Leading Seaman (Sonar)] in my Division who was straight out of central casting for the best kind of experienced matelot.  He quietly saved me from many a jolly good telling off with his unassuming efficiency.  Anyway, one morning in Devonport he came on board looking ashen-faced.  I knew his wife was expecting, so asked him as gently as I could whether everything was OK.  “Oh, nothing horrible, Sir.  We already have two lovely boys & thought we’d try for just one more.... and it turns out she’s having triplets!”. 

She duly did, and a few years later he turned up - to my delight - as the Chief Petty Officer (Sonar) in Broadsword when I was Flight Commander.  We laughed a lot about his sudden need to acquire a bigger house, bigger car and triple baby clothes on a Killick’s salary... but he wasn’t laughing at the time!

• Like 10

All this talk of twins, and triplets ..... small talk chaps! Life gets really interesting when you get to seven..............only five days in each year are birthdays though, work that one out.

😂

Terry

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

...I can black cat that...

Please excuse the diversion here Edward, but I want to thank Crisp for his use of this expression, which I haven't heard since my days in the Navy. I'm glad to see it again after many years... Do you know its origins?

• Like 2

It was always explained to me as “he’s the sort of bloke who, if you tell him your cat is black, will swear that his cat is even blacker” - but I have no idea where it originates from (other than confirming that I also learned it in the Navy).

• Like 5

I knew what it meant, despite being an ex Crab. I probably heard it from one of the blokes I worked with in Saudi.

He was ex Scimitars! Probably when he was a young lad though. He wasn't that old!

I don't think we had an equivalent expression in the RAF. Though anyone considered 'too military' was called a 'Cabbage'.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Woof, snort

on a Killick’s salary... but he wasn’t laughing at the time!

Could you, please, explain to a landlubber and non-native-speaker the meaning of "Killick" in that context? Google translate thinks it's a kind of small anchor: not likely. And my copy of "A Sea of Words: Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O'Brian's Seafaring Tales" is out of reach at the moment.

Richard

1 hour ago, Richard502 said:

Could you, please, explain to a landlubber and non-native-speaker the meaning of "Killick" in that context? Google translate thinks it's a kind of small anchor: not likely. And my copy of "A Sea of Words: Lexicon and Companion for Patrick O'Brian's Seafaring Tales" is out of reach at the moment.

Richard

Found this... “The word Killick is also slang for a Royal Navy sailor with the rating (rank) of leading seaman, leading hand orleading ratingin the Royal Navy and is senior to able seaman and junior to a petty officer.”

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Corsairfoxfouruncle is correct, but the reason is missing; the rate badge of a Leading Hand is a killick anchor.  [Ratings have rates: officers have rank].

50727838362_e11ddfb150_c.jpg

In the simplest terms, a picture of a killick anchor on someone’s sleeve is how you tell he’s a Leading Seaman (or Leading Airman, or Leading... Whatever).  I tried to explain that by translating “Killick TAS-Ape”.  TAS = Torpedo Anti-Submarine; the Sonar branch of seamen, known (in my era at least) as TAS-apes.  So “Killick TAS-Ape” = Leading Seaman (Sonar)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ahhh. He’s back. Has been for a while but then again I’m always late to stuff. Nice to see you at a 1/48. Maybe in your new slimmed down stash mode you can afford to jump around scales. It’s a tonic to get to the bench even in little bursts.

Glad to hear Lockdown hasn’t been too bad for you guys and I’m looking forward to this thread. Take care.

Johnny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

In the simplest terms

Thanks Crisp, we all need translations... all this Naval jargon is enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!

• Haha 3

Thread lurker joining in. Good to see you've joined the scale of those realizing that they now need glasses. Looking forward to the rest of the build. Way back on Page 2 you mentioned detail brushes and no on stepped up. I use Citadel brushes for detail and washes, specifically the top three

a9ad1abc47c7eca08cfdd21f1dc3edb5.jpg

I also use some of their washes; mostly Agrax Earthshade, Seraphim Sepia and Devlan Mud. Another is Citadel Black Ink. This is also acrylic and I use it for radial engine washes.I like it as it produces an oily appearance over Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver. This stuff is super free flowing, touch just the tip of the brush into the ink and one can do almost two 1:48 cylinders

s-l400.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oooh, sorry, forgot about the brushes...

I have the Tamiya ones but also some ‘generic’ small brushes. 
The best tip I have, from Perdu, is to ‘dot paint’ - you know when you dip the brush in the paint and think ‘I’m never going to get this tiny line / circle / rectangle right’ then don’t brush, just dot the paint ‘a pixel at a time’.

Works for me! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1