A light like thirty torches (1/48 Eduard Spitfire I)

thene he drewe his swerd Excalibur 
but it was so bryght in his enemyes eyen
that it gaf light lyke xxx torchys 

[Then he drew his sword Excalibur; it blinded his enemies, for it shone bright as thirty torches.]

-- Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur (c.1485), Book I, Chapter IX  

Well hello. I've been gone for a while. Sorry about that. Fall was my favourite season once upon a time, before there was a plague running rampant and before I had children. Now it's just a reminder of happier times. A year ago, I was a month away from leaving for England. Now I have no idea when it will even be possible for Americans to travel there again. It's a funny old world. 

How am I? I got fat(ter) during the pandemic, have gone on a diet, lost about a stone (uh, getting me right back to my pre-pandemic weight), and miraculously still have a job. I love working from home. I love a lot less the fact that to save money, I take care of Winston 7:30-8:30 AM and then again from 2:30-4:00 PM, which were, coincidentally, my most productive times. I am extremely tired, almost always. We had a brief covid scare when one of Mrs P's students tested positive, but we are all safe for now.

I managed to hit myself in the face with a rifle scope while firing a .30-30 Winchester Thompson Contender (a very light single-shot target pistol, in this case converted to a rifle with a stock and optic), giving myself a fairly interesting scar:

PXL_20200928_151350626

If not for my heavy, protruding brow, it could have been much worse. I don't much care for rifle scopes, I think.

The boys are more or less fine. Winston turned five on the second and is a colossal pill who every day seems to beg for death at my hands. He's possibly the most infuriating little boy since me. He refuses to let anyone cut his hair, and I can only assume his obstreperousness is to his hair length much as Samson's strength was.

PXL_20200930_202056999

Grant turned three the day before Battle of Britain Day. He's a sweet, small, doughy, puppy-like creature.

PXL_20201010_230840216

Grant is sweet, obedient, and empathetic. Winston is sullen, selfish, rude, and dropped an F-bomb (a big, big, big F) on me a few weeks back when I told him he couldn't have cookies for lunch: he called me a "----in' stupe", which is impressive from a four year old, even one who'd spent six hours driving with my foul-mouthed mother in law. Mrs P usually vetoes my ideas of discipline, but she wasn't home at the time and his mouth was washed out with soap instantly. He hasn't done it again, so score one for me and one for the payments on his future therapist's luxury Tesla. I console myself with the knowledge that Grant would dutifully burn down a Ukrainian peasant village without complaint or protest, and Winston would try to kill the Führer with a clockwork bomb, so perhaps in time I will feel like there's a payoff for sparing his profoundly ungrateful life.

So what happened to my mojo? It died. Plain and simple, it dropped dead. It was kicked off its fundaments when Winston smashed my Lysander to pieces. I kept trying to go on, but it just felt like going through the motions. And I had too many kits. Well, I don't any more! But, and I think this is something we tend to forget, the act of creating something is hard. For the last eight months, everyone has been trying to create a new world that we can survive in (some of us harder than others). I've been trying to become the father and husband I'd like to be, and after half a year of trying, let me tell you: it's for the birds. I would like very much to be alone for a day or two, or to use a toilet that hasn't been liberally basted in a spray of little boy pee, or to walk more than ten feet without treading on enough free Legos to fill the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, or to sit down and read a book without being commanded to pretend to be a Wampa or Darth Vader or a Tickle Monster or a dog or a cat or anything other than a tired man eking some joy out of a ruined world being yelled at by an intermittent and furtive bedwetter.

Mrs P., who sees the children less than I do now, and whose annoyingly perfect brother just presented us with a nephew, wants a third "to complete our family". I'm not sure how a single mother with three kids is a complete family, but it's a new century. I admire those midcentury men who seized their destiny by the hands and went out to get a pack of cigarettes and never came back.

So I'm a bit worn out. I've been able to go shooting with the Lee-Enfield a bit, which is always a hoot, and I amused myself replacing the springs on my Tokarev and my elderly Browning Hi-Power, but I've recently been thinking about models again. For some blasphemous reason, my thoughts turned in particular to the new Eduard Spitfire I in...urggghhh...1/48. This is foolish for a number of reasons. First off, it's bound to come out in 1/72 eventually, and secondly, it's not like I don't have a ton of...oh wait, no I don't! So I did it. Fine, I did it. I bought a 1/48 kit. 

People claim that with 1/48 you don't have to squint at small parts, but of course that's a lie, they're the same size, but they represent even smaller things on the real aircraft. So it is with the Eduard "The Few" boxing, which, it must be said, looks very nice, even if it manages to mainly focus on Spitfires from the interwar period and the fighting leading up to the Battle of Britain. With 1/48, the rivet detail that looks exaggerated in 1/72 seems very subtle. And Eduard can let their love of complex multipart subassemblies just totally run rampant. 

I've already screwed up, as per ancient tradition: Eduard have you carve off bits of the cockpit coaming to fit a closed canopy (as any right-thinking person would want to do), and my hands slipped:

PXL_20201011_041301735

Shunk! I carved off a bit of it. Damnation. Not really sure how that can or will be fixed yet. I also laid down the interior grey green too far back. Can't win.

I also put together the seat:

PXL_20201011_040859411

And laid down some of @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies' Colourcoats, the best paint on earth, happily available in the USA again. 

PXL_20201011_040909845

At this point my compressor seemed to be overheating and I took it apart to see if taking it apart and putting it back together would fix it; it did not, but it doesn't seem any worse, either. I may have to swap in my larger and louder 3-gallon one. 

I've missed all of you. I miss Britain, too. It grows wet and windy here, the time of year when Illinois is most like your island. Hope you're well. Hope to see you all again someday.

• Like 52
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Welcome back to the fold, old Buddy. Nice to see you on here again. At least you're trying, that's the main thing.

Yes, an interesting scar. Once Hollywood find out about it, they'll want you for vallainous roles.

Kids do grow up (eventually). Be nice to them, they chose your care home :laugh:

You can always threaten to cut Winston's hair while he sleeps. See what that does to his behaviour!

I thought it was good of you to use the 2p coin for size comparison.

Stay well, Pete

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Great to have you back Edward!

It's been a tough old year so far, particularly, I imagine, on your side of the pond where there appear to be huge societal fractures re-opening, not helped by the constant caps-lock tweeting of POTUS. 

I have 2 kids and I can honestly tell you that things will improve as they get older. Boys, in particular, are a challenge and seem to know just how to push the meltdown button at the most inconsiderate times! Ted is now 12 and still has a tiny attention span and no understanding of how the world around him works. I built him a new desk yesterday (only IKEA) to help & reinforce the message that homework is important and should be planned and completed as early as possible. His response? "Great!! An Airfix desk". Then promptly unpackaged his latest kit into the drawers.

So on one hand I am pleased he's rediscovered modelling whilst on the other frustrated that he has ignored the reason I'm £150 out of pocket and have a sore back from wrestling 50kg of particle board into a functioning piece of furniture!

All we can do is our best, whilst allowing us some time for ourselves. We need our hobbies and projects to tinker with to give us the headspace we so need.

Enjoy the new Spiffire, we expect taka-taka-taka noises as soon as it's remotely aeroplane shaped!

Edge

• Like 7

I saw this,

PXL_20200928_151350626

& thought, he's got hisself a Weatherby eyebrow, but no, a tickey little thuttie thuttie. Don't admit to it mate. 300 Weatherby or similar at least.  :D

Good to have you back, the above has brightened my day. My other pestered me for a third offspring. My resoluteness stood no chance in the face of feminine wiles, not to mention outright skulduggery. He is the best of the lot, ( the others weren't that bad either) so it mightn't be all bad. Then again, #3 could be a girl. Maybe taking up smoking has merit. ;) :D

Looking forward to seeing this larakin scale Spit taking shape.  :)

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hey !! Mr P is back at the bench !!

At least, you enter the 1/48 world !! Be carefull, it's addictive !!

The Eduard box "the few" contain 2 kits and bonus parts, No ?

I had a Tokarev, is your in original caliber ?? I mean 7,62X25 ??

Nice scar Man !! My worst one, and most ridiculous one, was done with my SLR L1A1

One of the case ricocheted on the wall and get stuck in my spec's branch...

At first it was just a little hit and I did'nt pay attention but seconds later, I learned how hot it is...

I got a nice bullet shaped burn... Try to explain it now....:whistle:

Then in Africa I shoot with a 500 Nitro Express, I've been impressed !! What a shot !!

Keep the faith !! Kids are that way but then it tend to cool down... Mine are now 19 and 16....

And I go back to school with the youngest one... Learning Russian language...

C'm on bud !! that's the way life is !! 

Glad to see you back !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

Nice scar dude

Bad way to get it but better by far than ricochet reheating from an L1A1 like CC's, in the mush.

Winston, no I refuse to allow my self to be drawn, the fuselage is looking promising, the doorway glitch I would simply remaster with polystyrene sheet, thick and carveable using supercyano.

And my Swann-Morton hobby craft knife

21r7c3OuhPL._AC_.jpg

Dear friend I wondered how you were, I saw you occasionally nod in some threads and I am seriously happy that you are taking us for a trip.

• Like 6

Edward! I can only echo the sentiments expressed above. I bear you no ill-will for building a kit in that heathen scale. I'm glad Eduard bought it out in 1/48 first, so they can correct any errors in time for when they release the proper 1/72 kit :D 

I have long thought that you don't get any benefit in terms of small parts by building in 1/48, you just get more equally small parts and particularly in Eduard's case it is an opportunity for them to really run riot.

Shame about the cockpit door, if you still have the cut-off part can you just trim the bit you need off that, and glue it back on?

Good to see you again mate B) 

Cheers,

Stewforth

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well, it’s good ... no, GREAT, to see you back in the fold,  Procopius ... welcome back - I was beginning to fear that this COVID horror might have claimed you, I’m so very pleased it hasn’t.

What I’ve always enjoyed in your postings here is your mix of good modelling and a little of your personal / home / family life.  Sometimes the latter shows a certain discord but, well, that’s real life.  God preserve us all from that changing. How is your new home?  Do tell us all a little about it, together with your modelling.

Once again, welcome back!

Jonny

• Like 3

Great to see you back Edward!

ok, it's the wrong scale, but that can be forgiven. I have to admit though, that although your tales of woe make me more than appreciate the fact I have no (known) offspring, the way you write always makes me chuckle. Maybe it's the German in me, a little of the old schadenfreud, maybe it's just that you have a wonderful gift with words.

Anyway, looking forward to more! (Modeling, not death wishes for Winston!)

Ian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As cracking a choice of subject as any Edward. I'm taking a bit of a hiatus myself but hopefully will feel like building something soon.

It's all fine. We need to do things we like but if we don't feel like it we should give it a rest.

• Like 2

Yes!!! Edward is back!!!

Good.

BTW, have you seen the Breeders with Martin Freeman? It's about you and me. And it's most scary horror film I've ever watched. And all is true.

BTW2 - I have three. But two of them are girls. And it doesn't make things easier.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 3

Welcome back. As for another child, insist that you and the Mrs. trade duties (work and child care) for a week. That should cure her of any desire for more children (says the man who has none and never wanted any).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to see you back PC.

I have a Mossberg 464 ( based on Winchester '94 .30-30 ) fitted with a scope for 200m target shooting. I remove my glasses and adjust the scope to suit since a friend's son, who is more used to shotguns, shot it and got his glasses too close to the scope and pushed them back into his nose. Fortunately neither his glasses or nose broke.

Looking forward to the Spitfire.

John

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/10/2020 at 09:58, perdu said:

21r7c3OuhPL._AC_.jpg

I have one like that, except it’s been worn completely smooth and has to be tightened with pliers after 50+ years of use. Still works though.:wink:

John

• Like 2

The Return of the King!  Though we have no kids, I too have been starved of mojo of late so I share your pain.  Nothing more sinister in my case than working too hard without adequate break, so too knackered to do anything creative or delicate by the evenings.  But mine too is stirring again; half term next week, so a full week of holiday.

Particularly happy to see you progress from the Braille kids’ size to a proper grown-up modellers’ scale, too.  I am one of those weirdoes who is more than a little “meh” about early Spitfires (ignore me; heathen wobble-headed matelot), but the recent Eduard offerings are really lovely.  I yearn for the day they get round to some Seafires.

[I don’t suppose you’ve seen @Fritag out there in your wanderings through the mojo-free badlands?  I’m starting to wonder whether he actually exists... or is he some kind of semi-legendary Crab Mud-Moving Bigfoot?]

• Haha 7

Great to see you back writing Edward, your witty prose has been missed. Having no children myself, I cannot offer any direct experience of the whole child-rearing thing but what I can say is that my dog Hector (the foremost of the pair in the picture to the left) after years of ignoring every command, order and plea sent in his direction has recently shown some faint but discernible signs of obedience so it may be worth sticking with it for the long haul. Hector is 6 now, which I believe corresponds to 42 in human years so don't expect immediate results.

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I shouldn't laugh at other people's misfortunes. But then you shouldn't write so amusingly! It is lovely to see you back.

If it's any consolation, when my son was at school we had a monthly routine where my wife and I would have to put on smart work clothes (suits, dresses) (yes, I wore the suit), go see the year group head/headmaster, nod sagely at the dire predictions, then come home and change into the clothes we actually went to work in. Did trying to change the course of history make a blind bit of difference? It did not. He's now 26 has a regular job and is thinking doing a degree in his spare time. I'm hoping that he will think about getting his own place too, but hey one step at a time. OTOH my daughter could have been abandoned with a box of matches on a dung heap and she would have flowered regardless. Now living in NL (seems such a long way away now) doing an archaeology masters, which I suppose will come in handy when people start to reopen Starbuckses. Sorry to ramble on the subject but I wouldn't swap them now for the world (unless you have a mint Airfix SAM-2 you want to trade).

10 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

insist that you and the Mrs. trade duties

Wise words indeed mate. That's a cunning and perfect plan.

And I'm not sure I can quite forgive you for going all 1/48. Could you get a larger 2p coin or photograph it from further away so that it doesn't look so strange?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Welcome back. As a father of two boys I can sympathise. Mine are both bigger than me now, and are likewise chalk and cheese personalities. I don't know if we were lucky that the 'handful' came out first, and the easy going laid back one second. I think maybe so. We would have been lulled into a false sense of parenthood being a breeze otherwise. They usually turn out alright in the end. I can recommend getting the snip. As soon as we had two healthy sprogs I made sure I only fired blanks.  Solves the issue of having a big brood on this over crowded little blue marble!

I can remember having my mouth washed out with soap at school, in about 1981! I'd say it worked, I was careful who I was sweary around after that. Colourful language has it's uses, but it's more effective if you save it for very special occasions. I expect most of us have seen it, and also it probably contravenes forum guidelines, so I wont share it here, but the Big Yin has been interviewed in regards to swearing a few times, I'm sure they are on youtube, and a joy to watch and listen too!

I look forward to your posts! The Eduard kit looks amazing. I have been tempted, but I have the old 2005 (I think) Airfix MkI to build here, in prewar, 2 blade prop guise.

Nice to see you back Edward, even if you have turned to the dark side (1/48th, it will all in in tears you know). I think we were very lucky with our two. I was 40 when I first became a father and it was hard work, although Joe and Ellie never really caused us problems in terms of behaviour or schooling. The main problem is that my son who is 26 is struggling with a lack of work as a lot of the ecology and conservation stuff he does is all short term and has dried up more or less completely as there are no volunteers to supervise. 

I was glad I met you last year at Telford, heaven knows when it will be on again.

Stay safe and regards Martin (Mrs T has a cousin in St Louis and they are not finding it easy) 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 1:13 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Kids do grow up (eventually). Be nice to them, they chose your care home :laugh:

I'm counting on Grant to do it. Winston will just get power of attorney and take my car.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:30 AM, Edge said:

Great to have you back Edward!

It's been a tough old year so far, particularly, I imagine, on your side of the pond where there appear to be huge societal fractures re-opening, not helped by the constant caps-lock tweeting of POTUS. 

Yes, we're not doing too well here at the moment. So weird that a congenital liar with a total lack of empathy might not be the best choice to shepherd us through this moment of national crisis.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:52 AM, stevehnz said:

I saw this,

& thought, he's got hisself a Weatherby eyebrow, but no, a tickey little thuttie thuttie. Don't admit to it mate. 300 Weatherby or similar at least.  :D

In my defense, I'd never used a scope, and the recoil of a full-size cartridge with such a light gun is substantial. I'm telling people I got it saving a virgin from a bear.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:15 AM, corsaircorp said:

I had a Tokarev, is your in original caliber ?? I mean 7,62X25 ??

Yep. It's a Romanian Army issue one from 1952, and came with a bunch of loose Chinese 7.62 Tok ammo for it. I had to replace all of the springs to get it to feed properly and clean off about a pound of Cosmoline. I also have the Browning Hi-Power, a CZ P-07, the Lee-Enfield No4 MkI, an Enfield No2 MkI*, a Webley IV, and (though it lives elsewhere) an AR15, with another in the process of being built. And I've a partial payment on an Eddystone M1917 Enfield, which for those of you who aren't familiar, was the most common bolt-action rifle used by the AEF in WWI, and is effectively a Pattern 1914 Enfield rechambered for 30-06. It's an interesting look into what the SMLE would have become if not for WWI: it has a Mauser-style bolt action, as opposed to the familiar Lee-style, but it's cock on close like the SMLE. It's also a fabulously beautiful rifle, as bolt actions tend to be. 

1920px-M1917_Enfield_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Arm

But I am very jealous of you getting to fire an SLR. They're rare and expensive over here. 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, perdu said:

21r7c3OuhPL._AC_.jpg

That looks really cool and I think I'll need to buy one.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:09 AM, Stew Dapple said:

Shame about the cockpit door, if you still have the cut-off part can you just trim the bit you need off that, and glue it back on?

It vanished into the ether, but I'm hoping I can fabricate a suitably shoddy looking replacement.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:36 AM, Jonny said:

How is your new home?  Do tell us all a little about it, together with your modelling.

It's actually quite lovely; it's a huge upgrade from our old one, and it ought to be, since it cost almost exactly twice as much. It came with two huge flatscreen TVs, so now I have more TVs under one roof than I owned previously in my entire life. I even got our old TV from the last house into the grotto!

It has four bedrooms, one on the ground floor for guests (Mrs P, who cannot sleep in her own bed during daylight hours for some inscrutable reason, used it as a nap room during the early months of the pandemic, and a subsequent inspection revealed the closet had been stocked with beer and peanut butter M&Ms), and three upstairs, which means for the first time in five years, I'm not sleeping with one of my bloody children. 

It has an office in the basement for me to work in, with a locking door, a large grotto area for models and latterly firearms all locked in their cases, and a small, easy to mow yard. Mrs P, who dreams big with regards to gardening but lives small because nobody will do the work for her, was saddened by the small yard. I, who have to mow it, was not. 

It also has a detached garage that isn't in danger of collapsing, and that we can actually fit our car into.

All in all, it's a thoroughly satisfactory house, and a much nicer one than I ever expected to be living in.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:01 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

As cracking a choice of subject as any Edward. I'm taking a bit of a hiatus myself but hopefully will feel like building something soon.

In fairness, you're building an actual boat, which I trust you will use to rescue me from the USA should things somehow get even worse in 2021. Let me know how many tins of paint I'll need to buy to meet the threshold.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:21 PM, GrzeM said:

BTW, have you seen the Breeders with Martin Freeman? It's about you and me. And it's most scary horror film I've ever watched. And all is true.

I saw a preview of it, and it felt very, very real to me. I'll have to watch the show.

23 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Welcome back. As for another child, insist that you and the Mrs. trade duties (work and child care) for a week. That should cure her of any desire for more children (says the man who has none and never wanted any).

She's a teacher, so unfortunately only two children seems like a respite to her. Also, she's used to them pawing at her. I am not, and I don't care for it.

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I have a Mossberg 464 ( based on Winchester '94 .30-30 ) fitted with a scope for 200m target shooting. I remove my glasses and adjust the scope to suit since a friend's son, who is more used to shotguns, shot it and got his glasses too close to the scope and pushed them back into his nose. Fortunately neither his glasses or nose broke.

You know, I had no idea that Mossberg made anything other than shotguns! Does the 464 top eject like the Winchester? I've always wanted a Winchester, but they're apparently either old and expensive or new and not very good. 

15 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Particularly happy to see you progress from the Braille kids’ size to a proper grown-up modellers’ scale, too.  I am one of those weirdoes who is more than a little “meh” about early Spitfires (ignore me; heathen wobble-headed matelot), but the recent Eduard offerings are really lovely.  I yearn for the day they get round to some Seafires.

Pretend it's a Seafire Ib with the cannons removed? Re: Fritag, I have no idea, I assume thwarting evildoers on the Riviera, but as he's a solicitor, he might just be aiding them. 

14 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

...what I can say is that my dog Hector (the foremost of the pair in the picture to the left) after years of ignoring every command, order and plea sent in his direction has recently shown some faint but discernible signs of obedience so it may be worth sticking with it for the long haul. Hector is 6 now, which I believe corresponds to 42 in human years so don't expect immediate results.

Wonderful. Well, the Marines will take them at 16 with a signed note. No word yet on whether they have to want to go.

12 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm hoping that he will think about getting his own place too, but hey one step at a time. OTOH my daughter could have been abandoned with a box of matches on a dung heap and she would have flowered regardless. Now living in NL (seems such a long way away now) doing an archaeology masters, which I suppose will come in handy when people start to reopen Starbuckses. Sorry to ramble on the subject but I wouldn't swap them now for the world (unless you have a mint Airfix SAM-2 you want to trade)...

And I'm not sure I can quite forgive you for going all 1/48. Could you get a larger 2p coin or photograph it from further away so that it doesn't look so strange?

26! Don't say such awful things, 21+ more years of Winston will flat-out kill me. Today he almost pranced into a crackling fire in the fireplace, which, as ways to get killed go, is only a good one if your burnt to ash so your executors can save on the cost of burial.

Re: the 2p coin, in truth, the reason I have it is that the Webley IV (and by extension, the Enfield No2MkI*)'s main takedown screw to remove the cylinder is sized exactly so that a 2p coin works perfectly to unscrew it. I imagine it may have been a different coin pre-decimalisation, but this one works as well. I can substitute a £5 note if it would help?

9 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Welcome back. As a father of two boys I can sympathise. Mine are both bigger than me now, and are likewise chalk and cheese personalities. I don't know if we were lucky that the 'handful' came out first, and the easy going laid back one second. I think maybe so. We would have been lulled into a false sense of parenthood being a breeze otherwise.

I've felt the same way, but Mrs P seems to think any future children will be either (a) like Grant, or (b), like Winston but bearable because a little girl. Now, I have two sisters and one brother; I'm the oldest. The first time I heard an adult swear was when my mom called my sister Emily a "bitch" (she was not the last person to call her that, Mrs P went to Catholic school with her and last called Emily that about a week ago -- not lovingly), and my youngest sister ran away from home and has been hopefully preparing for my mother to die for the last decade at least. The problem is, we'd all have to live with the consequences (including the considerable financial consequences) of a third child. If it were just Mrs P who'd suffer, it would be almost bearable.

8 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

So, you are the boy who lived? I promise not to refer to you as Harry PC in the future..

😐

8 hours ago, Mr T said:

Nice to see you back Edward, even if you have turned to the dark side (1/48th, it will all in in tears you know).

I suspect it will. What I like about 1/48 is that the surface detail looks and seems more realistic than it does on 1/72, especially since last year thanks to Ced I got to see pretty much anything with wings in the UK. That's cool. The problem is the aforementioned embarrassment of greeblies. I like to think I know a fair amount about aircraft, but at 1/48, you get into things like different footpedals or the correct seat lever, and that induces a level of paralytic indecision rarely seen.

6 hours ago, Red Rat said:

Looking forward to some Procopious modelling magic and witty insights into life at hedgehog manor.

Magic might be dignifying it a little. I promise much buffoonery.

Woof, that's a lot of replying! Now I know how Ced must feel, but a little shorter and less dignified.

I actually got a little done on the Spitfire, even!

PXL_20201011_194627404

Added the silver (in this case AK EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREME Dull Aluminium) in the appropriate parts. The Colourcoats I'd sprayed too far back hadn't fully cured, but I was easily able to scrape it off and respray after it crackled a bit.

Does anyone have a photo of those air tanks abaft the seat in the Spitfire? I think they're CO2 tanks, not oxygen bottles, but don't quote me on that. In any case, there are two of them, and I wanted to see if the thing linking them together would be better represented by the flat piece of PE in the kit, or a bent bit of lead wire.

• Like 17

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Does anyone have a photo of those air tanks abaft the seat in the Spitfire? I think they're CO2 tanks, not oxygen bottles, but don't quote me on that. In any case, there are two of them, and I wanted to see if the thing linking them together would be better represented by the flat piece of PE in the kit, or a bent bit of lead wire.

I believe they are filled with ordinary air, compressed, for operating the guns, brakes and flaps. The oxygen bottle is the little black one on the starboard side behind the seat. It's a bit of pipe that joins the compressed air tanks at the top, so I'd go with the wire rather than a flat bit of PE.

10 minutes ago, Procopius said:

EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREME

I appreciated that, thank you :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't realised that Mossberg made rifles either until I saw one in a local armoury,  think they saw a gap in the market when Winchester closed down their New Haven plant. It does eject from the top like a proper winchester but is cleverly designed to throw the case out at an angle so that it avoids the scope. I'm also jealous of CC's Lee-Enfield.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Does anyone have a photo of those air tanks abaft the seat in the Spitfire?

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/07/anatomy-of-spitfire-cockpit.html/07l628_009 shows what you want I think, albeit for a Spitfire V not a MkI (they’re basically the same right?). Like Stew, I believe they were filled with air by a compressor on the engine. That whole site incidentally is a goldmine for those who want to go down the rabbit hole of Spitfire cockpit detailing. 

Craig. 

• Like 1