Revell spitfire colour help....

simonc

hi all.

My son has bought me the above kit (the Iron Maiden one), and I'm after some advice re colours.

Being pretty new to the hobby, I have only used humbrol enamels and brush painted. I have just bought an airbrush and compressor kit, and would like to have a go at airbrushing. I would prefer to use acryllics as I will be doing it at the kitchen table. 

Can anyone advise what colours I should get for the external of the plane. The interior i could still hand paint with enamels.

Local shop has vallejo model air if that is any good.

Hi!

The main colours you require will be RAF Dark Green, RAF Dark Earth and RAF Sky.

I usually use Humbrol 117, 29 and 90 respectively. Humbrol reference numbers are the same for enamels and acrylics.

For Vallejo colours, 92 in their Model Air range is the equivalent to RAF Dark Green, while 8 or 9 could deputise for Sky.

Unfortunately, there's no equivalent for RAF Dark Earth in Model Air, but 921 in Vallejo Model Colour might be OK.

Hope this helps . . .

6 minutes ago, Fifer54 said:

Hi!

The main colours you require will be RAF Dark Green, RAF Dark Earth and RAF Sky.

I usually use Humbrol 117, 29 and 90 respectively. Humbrol reference numbers are the same for enamels and acrylics.

For Vallejo colours, 92 in their Model Air range is the equivalent to RAF Dark Green, while 8 or 9 could deputise for Sky.

Unfortunately, there's no equivalent for RAF Dark Earth in Model Air, but 921 in Vallejo Model Colour might be OK.

Hope this helps . . .

Thats a great help, thank you. 

I take it I would need to thin Model Colour to airbrush.

4 minutes ago, simonc said:

Thats a great help, thank you. 

I take it I would need to thin Model Colour to airbrush.

Yes, I'd star at about 50/50 paint to thinner and adjust from there,

1 hour ago, Fifer54 said:

Unfortunately, there's no equivalent for RAF Dark Earth in Model Air

71.323 is the more recent RAF Dark Earth and it's better than the old 029. 

71.302 is the newer Sky type S (although still a bit too dark). 
71.324 Dark Green is okish, but a bit too lemon-tinged. You could give 71.292 (US Loam) a shot, it's a bit more olive green and looks like Tamiya's XF81 Dark Green.

If Model Color (not Model Air) is what you have locally available, I'd suggest 70.921 English Uniform for Dark Earth and 70.892 Yellow Oliva for Dark Green. Both recently measured extremely closely (dE<2.0) to the samples of those colors in my copy of the RAF Museum book. Unfortunately, Vallejo Model Air's Sky is pretty far off the mark at a dE of >7.0. The best Sky I tested was Mission Models MMP-080, at a dE of <2.0