MG Gundam Unicorn.

I have been a bit busy getting my push iron ready to start a new job in 4 weeks, it's close to home so will be cycling to work, 7 miles each way..... Gulp. As I was rummaging through box's I came across this old kit I built years ago when it was first released, its the OVA version and I though it was time to show it some love. I have lost all the extra parts like the other unicorn horns and amo packs and the horn I have is bent and broken but we will see what I can do with it. The plan is to paint in a few shades of white and grey and re color the pink phycoframe green to match the 1/35 bust I have the same kit. 

Over the last few day I have dismantle the kit and painted the pink frames parts black and then a few parts clear green over silver. The parts I have finished seam to be going back together so I will carry on with the rest of the parts. 

What I have so far. 

IMG-20201008-173138.jpg
IMG-20201009-191238.jpg
dav.jpg
dav.jpg

• Like 4

A good bit of progress on the Unicorn today. I will now try and straiten the horn and glue it back together tonight. Have ordered a set of Ver Ka decals to keep me busy as well. Added the green tone to brake up the white but it will get toned down a bit with some weathering later. 

dav.jpg
dav.jpg
dav.jpg
dav.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/11/2020 at 9:03 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

A rucksack with an oxygen bottle may help too.

It's working for the NHS so I should be able to get my hand on a cpap setup....... 😷

On 10/12/2020 at 5:07 AM, Will Vale said:

Cool stuff, I really like the Unicorn design and I've finally got to the end of the series so I even know the sort of shenanigans it gets up to 😛

W

What did you think to it, I quite liked the series. 

A bit of paint on the weapons. They still need decals etc but quite like the look of them. 

dav.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/16/2020 at 1:19 AM, HoolioPaulio said:

Oooh, loving the green.  I'll be following this, the Unicorn is on my ever expanding wishlist of kits I can't afford :D 

Tell me about it, thats why I'm rebuild a few kits, I didn't appreciate cash or the job when I had it. Bottom run of the ladder has its benefits though. 

But more work on this, all the phsyco frame has been painted now and have finished the weapons, sheild and backpack. Now on with painting the rest of the outer armour. Some weathering started. I had to open a new pot of clear green for the phsyco frame and it's has ended up a bit darker but I don't think you will notice once all built up. 

Did fix the horn as well, it not great either but it's a lot better than it was. 

dav.jpg

• Like 4

Cheers chaps, well all the decals are on, I did hold back a bit on the decals a bit but I did my usual leg decals and the weathering is well on its way but I  will add some more matt stains and a bit of light chipping. 

Getting to this point I remember why it ended up in a box..... I really love the look of the kit but the build is absolutely awful. Shame I don't have £250 to spend on the new MGEX kit....... 

dav.jpg
dav.jpg
dav.jpg
dav.jpg

• Like 3

I think this is the version I have, although mine was boxed as the FA Unicorn Ver. Ka with all the extra shields and fuel tank/boosters.

Does the build difficulty come from bits falling off? I suspect the transforming psycho frame makes it more likely that'll happen. On the Hyaku-Shiki I've been brushing some Tamiya white-top glue onto the ends of pegs to both lubricate them and hopefully hold the pieces together solidly. So far so good but it's only the inner frame and I suspect the armour will be more vulnerable to falling off.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Does the build difficulty come from bits falling off?

Yes and keeping the transformation parts transformed, I wanted to keep the kit able to revert back to unicorn mode so I'm only glueing the parts I can at the moment. 

I bet the FA kit is a massive build, all those weapons....... 

Whoaaaah. That's going to be very cool, can't wait.

Your was-big-now-small Unicorn is looking great btw, the green psycho frame is definitely the stylish option and the grey-green parts are a nice accent to bridge that to the white.

I'm really torn about building mine between Unicorn and Destroy modes, I don't think I want the transforming functionality but both the options look really good. Unicorn mode looks mean and scary, Destroy mode has all the cool glowy bits.

Will

• Like 1