Heller Hurricane IIc

stevej60

Hi folk's well this thread is now re-born after the glue disaster of this afternoon.I had a quick look on e-bay for another saw a seller with five bagged kit's for a tenner,took a punt and maxed my bid at twelve and won them,no intention of building them all but certainly a couple at least.

• Like 12

Me too.. For ages, this Heller kit was the only way to get a decent tropical radiator and I recall it being a rather nice overall model. Not sure exactly how it squares up to a good set of plans, however I don’t think we are really too bothered about that within this GB. Looking forward to seeing the build up Steve.. good luck. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

G Boak says the underside is pot-bellied and criticised my liking the kit (more properly, I may have said it was accurate and he didn't agree.  Fair enough).  I think the wings are over sized - there's something about this mentioned in the Tony O'Toole book on the Hurr and SHurr, IIRC.

Whatever, it's a nice little kit, it goes together easily, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Rgds

Martin

15 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Not sure exactly how it squares up to a good set of plans

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I think the wings are over sized

I have a couple, and did throw my name into the list to document this.

Two main problems on initial research,  

wing tips are too wide, starting at wing outer panel join line,   I used think this was a hard fix,  I have a part done one, IIRC, rip out ailerons, reprofile wings (easy) and then adjust aileron leading edge,  I think I found swapping them over worked for some reason .  Fill and rescribe flap lines.  

I did this years ago, but way under 25%, as I tend to work on the fixes as the first job, to see how to, and if worth doing.

The upper nose is too narrow, a very very common problem with old Hurricane kits.  I suspect this is what @Graham Boak is referring to.

This should be fixable by cutting the nose at the first panel line behind the nose ring, and splaying the upper cowl out.

Both look to be easy enough to do,  one really positive feature, I recall it as having one of the best representations of fabric on the fuselage, which is a real killer detail on Hurricane kits.

Raised detail and wheel wells follow well outline are other lesser points.   

Now what blinkin' box is it in.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Whatever, it's a nice little kit, it goes together easily, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thank's Martin,for it's faults I agree a nice build all the same.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Now what blinkin' box is it in.....

Hope you find it Troy,any info on the origins of the second option seems to be desert colours but the nose and engine covers in green?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Troy,any info on the origins of the second option seems to be desert colours but the nose and engine covers in green?

Since You dont show the box, a google of this boxing shows it has AK-G BP592 as a option.

one of those Hurricane schemes that come from the Aircraft in Profile series, 

Hawker%20Hurricane%20IIC%20(24+)_Page_11

It's one of those schemes no since has seen a reference photo for, which also applies to the A-A Indian SEAC, the PR Hurricane and the white Soviet profiles, and most notorious of all, the JX-E in camo....

It's also one that from sheer repetition is 'accepted' (most recently in the 1/32nd Fly kit)  but AFAIK the original and ONLY source for these is the linked profile

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Aircraft-Profiles/Britain/WW2/Hawker-Hurrican-IIC-24

Everything else just copies this.   

Given that many of the profiles in the series also lack provenance,  and there are lots of well documented schemes as well, The 3 squadron scheme is well documented for example

HTH

• Like 1

Nice! I was only eyeing up my Heller Hurricane last night and thinking that we hadn't seen one yet in the GB....so problem solved!

Last one I built was in 1985. Remember really liking the fact that the canopy could be posed open. Finished mine as one of the Mk IIs used in the film Angels One Five. No idea why!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Steve

• Like 1

• stevej60 changed the title to Phew,nearly forgot the Hurricane(s)!

Hi folk's,a change of title as i was just checking a bid on e#bay and noticed a Mistercraft boxing of this kit for £2:99 with an hour to go and no bids

so took a punt and got it I know the decal sheet is a horror story but I'll find a scheme in spares.

Here's my recently-completed Heller Hurricane, built OOB, except for the decals. And, somehow the carpet monster ate the ventral radiator, so I had to make a new one out of Feemo. Needs a little weathering I think... Carry on!

84dfa1aae10f43e3e7c5f45538213da8.jpg

Edited by SledDawg
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,a change of title as i was just checking a bid on e#bay and noticed a Mistercraft boxing of this kit for £2:99 with an hour to go and no bids

so took a punt and got it I know the decal sheet is a horror story but I'll find a scheme in spares.

Will be interesting to see what the overall kit is like as I thought the new decal sheet wouldn’t have been the best part of the Mistercraft kit. There’s a reason why they are so cheap I think! Hopefully it will be better than I expect. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Sorry folk's as explained in chat a pot of spilt glue has done more damage in five minute's than the Luftwaffe did in a few years both kits

swimming in a sea of liquid poly!

• Sad 5

• stevej60 changed the title to forget the Hurricane(s)!
37 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did both Hurricanes meet their demise Steve ?

Parts of both Pat,it wouldn't be a GB without me having a couple of disasters  but the net has been cast for a couple of replacement build's.

• stevej60 changed the title to Heller Hurricane IIc
4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Sorry folk's as explained in chat a pot of spilt glue has done more damage in five minute's than the Luftwaffe did in a few years both kits

swimming in a sea of liquid poly!

Well :poop:!

Chris

Not again Steve!! 

If I recall, you had some grief during the Frog GB as well.... that's tragic news. Still plenty of time to get your 10-15 kits in the GB gallery so fingers crossed it's all smooth sailing from here. 

Cheer and best of modelling luck.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Right folk's I was determined to build Heller's Hurricane so scoured e bay where they turn up often,yes there was a good few on

around the fiver starting price but I spied a seller with Five to sell starting bid £10 after a feverish bidding war(one other bidder)

within seconds the price had skyrocketed to £12 and were mine:evil_laugh: sadly the promised bundle of decals were not sent but for

the price I won't complain I have spares but noted a set of AM decals for Hurricane ii's so we'll see.

20201030_193431

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Right folk's I was determined to build Heller's Hurricane so scoured e bay where they turn up often,yes there was a good few on

around the fiver starting price but I spied a seller with Five to sell starting bid £10 after a feverish bidding war(one other bidder)

within seconds the price had skyrocketed to £12 and were mine:evil_laugh: sadly the promised bundle of decals were not sent but for

the price I won't complain I have spares but noted a set of AM decals for Hurricane ii's so we'll see.

20201030_193431

A very high risk strategy showing all these kits, good job @Enzo Matrix isn't watching !

Looks great Steve, have you decided which colour scheme you will apply ?

Cheers Pat 

25 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

A very high risk strategy showing all these kits, good job @Enzo Matrix isn't watching !

Looks great Steve, have you decided which colour scheme you will apply ?

Cheers Pat 

I have a few sets spare Pat But may well buy some AM.

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Please do at least all black one as per the original kit scheme.. I’m sure someone will have spare decals somewhere. 
Cheers and good get... Dave 

Definitely one will be done in the black scheme Dave as you can see I have a few under the belt including Heller's all black version.

20200327_101640

20200327_101505

• Like 6

Well apologies to the seller but in one of the two bagged kits were the instructions and decals but glad I ordered the AM ones

for the choices anyway,as my airbrush power lead has packed in this weekend means catching up on brush painting projects

and cutting and cleaning the main parts of the fuselages.