1/72 Kovozavody Prostejov Sopwith Triplane 'Black Flight'

Dear all,

Just finished the new kit from KP of the Sopwith Triplane.

Although this is leagues ahead of the nearest rival, the ancient Revell kit, it is still not perfect.   The overall dimensions and look of the model of the kit look good once complete, but the detail is basic from the box with certain small details missing.  Fit is generally good although a few points to be aware of :

1. The cabane struts that extend into the cockpit make fitting the pilots seat difficult unless some of the strut is cut away;

2. Wings require very careful alignment to get the look and fit correct - I ended up spending a fair bit of time at this part but could not get an entirely perfect setup;

3. Decals are out of register, very thin and slightly over sized so require careful handling and placing on model correctly

I added more details to cockpit and Vickers gun.  Also knocked up basic wind driven fuel pump for starboard cabane strut.  Pitot tube added to starboard interplane strut and control horns for the ailerons.   Rigged with combination of invisible mending thread and Oschi fine and standard eleastic thread.   I admit this part of the build unfortunately has not come out as well as I would have liked.

Other than that, a nice little kit and great to see a new offering of the aircraft in this scale

Chose to build 'Black Sheep' version of this kit.   I hope it does not look too bad.

Regards 

Dave

nEorXCp.jpg

e4czTfQ.jpg

1DrHkY8.jpg

BaCmpdL.jpg

gDPPu6u.jpg

nBRtp4z.jpg

Iv6JlYD.jpg

LTASWPz.jpg

lzWVsj8.jpg

V4RudLS.jpg

Pbhhkwt.jpg

hFp6I91.jpg

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Excellent model of a very small aeroplane. In this scale it really is tiny but the rigging looks first class and the wind pump wholly in scale. The oil staining under the fuselage and wing is also very convincing. A fine model which will certainly gain awards when we can finally get back to club meetings.

P

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I've been on an extended break from modelling and missed this. Glad I stumbled across it today, it's a little gem! I'm inspired to dig mine out of the stash, if it comes out half as well as this I shall be very pleased! 

• Thanks 1

I was wondering about this kit, and you settled it for me...it looks great!   I still have 2 of the old Revell kits half built....I will use your build as a guide for the rigging!

• Thanks 1