Canadian Hornet in Germany

Lord Riot

Damn, I wish I'd known TS-48 was only the false canopy before I bought the spray can. No way I can paint that, plus it's included as a decal.

Oh well, maybe that grey will do for something on another kit one day.

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Damn, I wish I'd known TS-48 was only the false canopy before I bought the spray can. No way I can paint that, plus it's included as a decal.

Oh well, maybe that grey will do for something on another kit one day.

Make a mask using the decal as a template. It's easier than you think.

On 10/11/2020 at 2:16 AM, Finn said:

It was missing on the right side, the jet came to Baden like that. 

Jari

So is that the "asymmetrical" scheme? 😆

On 10/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, Lord Riot said:

Having searched a bit online, would I be correct to deduce that 1st CAG Hornet colours would be:

FS35237 medium grey (Tamiya spray AS-28),

FS36375 light ghost grey (AS-26), and

FS36118 medium gunship grey (TS-48)?

The FS numbers you're quoting are correct but the Tamiya paints are somewhat dubious as equivalents.  Tamiya doesn't technically market these as FS 595 matches but they have typically added colors to their line that correspond to well-known schemes (that are usually also worn by types Tamiya offers in their catalog).

AS-28 is actually Tamiya's version of FS36270, sometimes referred to as "neutral gray" (FS 595 colors don't have any names officially). This gray is used on the F-16 (middle gray on the original 3-color Hill Gray scheme, lighter of two in the later simplified scheme). 

As a match for FS 35237 this is at best a rough approximation, since 35237 is actually a blue color (darker blue-gray on Canadian and Australian Hornets, and darkest of three colors on various USN/USMC TPS schemes).

AS-26 is Tamiya's version of FS36375 but it's not an outstanding match (darker and cooler/more "blueish" than the FS595 chip). Better equivalents are available in several paint lines.

TS-48 isn't bad for FS36118 but AS-27 should be a better match as it was intended to represent the dark gray for Tamiya's 1/32 F-16 when it was released (AS-26 & AS-28 completing the colors for.the 3-tone scheme).

• Thanks 1