Silk Purse GB?

Paul821

In the Heller GB @JOCKNEY / Pat said "I think Kingkit must really enjoy these Classic GBs, although worryingly I hear they are currently stocking up with Starfix kits in anticipation for a future GB !"

This set me thinking - how about a GB where we take on a kit is generally agreed to be poor and demonstrate what can be done with it - other than consign it to the bin. Even if the GB gets not many votes it would be interesting to hear of suggested kits and even best pointed towards WIP and inspection thread where such miracles have been achieved.

• Like 3

This would be very interesting, you can count me in at least please!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/starfix-114-tupolev-tu-16--1031284

This would be my target, or the Airfix old tool Defiant. But I do have other options. I would need to track one down though.

Cheers, Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post

Having recently done a few of those, I think modellers today have become overly critical, spoiled and too demanding (entitled).

I think raising such a poor kit to an acceptable level is what the hobby is all about, instead of inch-to-mm whining (modern equivalent of rivet counting).

On the other hand, looking at kit prices today, a fair level of delivering what is promised, should be a manufacturers goal as well.

I chose to go for cheap kits and lower my demands and expectations.

• Like 1

Yes please Paul.  I've got several early Faller kits that would qualify.

Alternatively, I'd also be happy with a Sow's Ear GB - where you take a really nice kit, a make a complete mess of it.

Cheers

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Yes please Paul.  I've got several early Faller kits that would qualify.

Alternatively, I'd also be happy with a Sow's Ear GB - where you take a really nice kit, a make a complete mess of it.

Cheers

Great Ive got a WNW Albatros maybe i can build that one in the Sows ear build. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I suppose any of the Rareplanes vac forms would be candidates?

I loved Rareplanes kits in my youth. I don't think they are sow's ears, it's just that they are vacforms!

I would very much like to be on the list for this GB. It will be a problem for the moderators to say what's in and what's out. I'd go for Roden Heinkel 111C or Xtrakit Hunter T.7

Alan

Just how badly engineered and/or inaccurate does the kit have to be? Would each submission have to be considered by a committee? 😛

I've generally avoided manufacturers who have a reputation for "difficult" kits, but even so, I'm sure I have some horrid examples in the stash. Why, only last week, I got an Amodel Yak 130 second-hand*. You need a strong stomach just to look inside the box.

*As well as a new Zvezda Yak 130, which is right at the other end of the spectrum.