Need help with JMSDF paint choices

shipclambake

Hey guys noob to the forums here, I need some advice. I have about a dozen JMSDF ship almost ready to be painted but Im at a bottleneck Im not sure what paints to use. I have Tamiya AS-32 spray paint that could go with the hull of the ship and I have XF-53 which could work for the deck of my ships what do you think will that work. If my paint combinations aren't good what do you suggest, Im willing to scrap my current paint collect and start with fresh paints from another company thanks. 

I believe that Sovereign Hobbies do a couple of Enamel paints in their Colourcoats range for JMSDF M-14 Upperworks Grey and M-15 Deck Grey which are available through White Ensign Models in Huntington, California, USA.

18 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

I believe that Sovereign Hobbies do a couple of Enamel paints in their Colourcoats range for JMSDF M-14 Upperworks Grey and M-15 Deck Grey which are available through White Ensign Models in Huntington, California, USA.

They used to, but they don't seem to sell them any more.

Here are the similar paints I have to the JMSDF greys and the old Colourcoats interpretation of them. I also own the Gunze JMSDF paints, but I haven't used them yet so I haven't made chips from them.

rNDywja.jpg

XF-53 is a little too dark and a little too blue for the side color. XF-25 (Light Sea Grey) is closer, if still a little blue. Some of the Gunze colors are closer still, which might be useful if you want to stick to acrylics. The Gunze JMSDF colors are only in their solvent lines of paints. I think a side of Light Sea Grey and a deck of the Medium Sea Grey would probably look good.

The most important thing in picking paints is getting the right relationship between the paints instead of picking the single closest in each case. Real life paints will fade and weather and they will look different in different light, but they do so together.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Aren't White Ensign Models a distributor of your paints ?

They are, and he's kicking my bottom with repeat orders. I'm currently using my annual leave from the real job to catch up, and have drafted in my father in his retirement as well as using my 10 and 8 year old daughters' October holidays from school too...

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, spejic said:

They used to, but they don't seem to sell them any more.

Maybe you try and recheck their website as they seem to be in stock at present.