1:48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Dunny

Hi All,

I hope that everybody has had a restful Christmas, and that you got to spend time with your loved ones. We had a lovely day at Chateau Dunny - here's what we had for lunch:

20201225-133714.jpg

Anyway, on with progress. This build has slowed down (stopped, actually) as I've been very busy with work, but managed to get a bit of bench time today! First of all I addressed the IP. Curiously SH do not provide any decal for the IP, but not to worry! Out with the trusty Airscale instrument decals - here's the IP following a flat coat and picking out the dials with gloss:

20201226-140213.jpg

Here's the cockpit partially assembled - it's hellishly fiddly, but got there in the end!

20201226-142241.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you may note that the control column is missing - added after this photo was taken. Here's a view of the IP in situ:

20201226-142251.jpg

Following an oil wash the cockpit and engine were mounted in the fuselage, and the whole lot buttoned up. It's typical SH fare - no location tabs, so careful alignment is critical. The glue is setting overnight, so I'll post some more progress pics tomorrow! 

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

Just now, mark.au said:

Coming a bit late to this one but following along now.  So far so good!

Thanks Mark - to be fair I hadn't touched it in over a month!

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger 

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.  The lunch looks yummy fella and I am slightly envious of the weather fella.  It's great to see this back again   and some great progress. Will have to get an Airscale set for 48th scale.

When you were assembling the fuselage did you leave the cockpit structure loose and then glue or was the fit good enough to affix to one side prior to this.

Great work 

Chris

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger 

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.  The lunch looks yummy fella and I am slightly envious of the weather fella.  It's great to see this back again   and some great progress. Will have to get an Airscale set for 48th scale.

When you were assembling the fuselage did you leave the cockpit structure loose and then glue or was the fit good enough to affix to one side prior to this.

Great work 

Chris

Hi Chris,

We had a lovely day, and the weather was perfect (27 degrees) and even better, no bushfires like last year! Hope you had a great day too. The Airscale set has helped me out 4 or 5 times now and is well worth the outlay. The innards of the Boomerang are all a bit of a faff - I did assemble the whole lot into one side, but there was a big gap on the underside of the cowling on buttoning up. The wing fit looks a bit pants too, so we'll see how we go tomorrow!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi Chris,

We had a lovely day, and the weather was perfect (27 degrees) and even better, no bushfires like last year! Hope you had a great day too. The Airscale set has helped me out 4 or 5 times now and is well worth the outlay. The innards of the Boomerang are all a bit of a faff - I did assemble the whole lot into one side, but there was a big gap on the underside of the cowling on buttoning up. The wing fit looks a bit pants too, so we'll see how we go tomorrow!

Cheers,

Roger

27 degrees,  blimey it was about 3.5 degrees here which was actually really nice as no wind so it was quite pleasant.  Snow would have been good though for the festive feeling.   We have a storm hitting tonight,  typical!!!

Glad you had a lovely day.  We had a nice day too, I had to do a Christmas Meals on Wheels delivery to my parents as in Tier 4 here.  It was slightly odd.

Thanks for the info on the cockpit structure I will look out for that when I finally do mine.

Looking forward to seeing this progress you will be a big of a trailblazer with this one.

Thanks fella 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Hello Roger !!

Great BBQed turkey !! 27 degrees, it remind me of my 4 years in Africa !! Christmas in T'shirt on the backyard...

As Chris as told it we receive the visit of Bella... One more tempest, I no longer count it... But we had far more Tempest IRL than 1/48 Tempest in my stash...

Then you say that I'm one day behind you ??:rofl2: I would say a week ahead...

Great job on the boomy internals...

I'll be glad to share another year of lunacy with you and the usual suspects !!

May the force be with us in 2021 !! 

sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

1 minute ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger !!

Great BBQed turkey !! 27 degrees, it remind me of my 4 years in Africa !! Christmas in T'shirt on the backyard...

As Chris as told it we receive the visit of Bella... One more tempest, I no longer count it... But we had far more Tempest IRL than 1/48 Tempest in my stash...

Then you say that I'm one day behind you ??:rofl2: I would say a week ahead...

Great job on the boomy internals...

I'll be glad to share another year of lunacy with you and the usual suspects !!

May the force be with us in 2021 !! 

sincerely.

CC

Likewise CC - it's been fun sharing this hobby with a great bunch of people in what's been an unusual year! I look forward to seeing the 'Down Under' build and the Airacobras over the line! 

All the best for the season,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

With @corsaircorp snapping at my heels I thought I'd better crack on - can't let a Walloon beat me through an Aussie aircraft build 🤣 (good luck Alain!)

The fuselage was uncomplicated enough in terms of location, but the wing-fuselage join on the other hand...

@bigbadbadge had warned me well, and the undercarriage well wall is too deep to allow the wing-fuselage join to mate correctly. I therefore shaved 1mm from the wall prior to this process. Even so, due to warpage and whatever else, it was still a pig of a job. I therefore attacked it in stages. First up the leading edge - here she is clamped:

20201227-114536.jpg

I'd made a random purchase of this stuff, which worked rather well:

20201227-114838.jpg

It is black, and has rubber particles in it, donchano. It also sticks like the brown stuff to an army blanket, so the leading edge was going nowhere. Although the trailing edge as shown looked a bit alarming it located well and once well glued settled down. However, the ensuing gaps in the wing-fuselage join were capacious, to say the least:

20201227-121200.jpg

And starboard - I have seen buses driven through smaller gaps:

20201227-121203.jpg

To be sorted out with filler and sanding.

Then next pictures are a salutory lesson on how not to succeed with a limited run kit when hungover and impatient. The eagle-eyed amongst you may note the lack of alignment of the machine gun ports with the direction of travel, as well as the rubbish location of the cannon (since snapped orf in frustration):

20201228-105325.jpg

I also neglected to include the signal lights and filling of a key gap - hey ho. A day later, and with more patience and clarity, relocated said MG ports, removed resin cannon stub, drilled location for cannon:

20201228-110524.jpg

All ready to clean up:

20201228-110847.jpg

Lesson learned - SH isn't Tamiyairfix. You can also see that I've filled the wing roots, which now look okay. I'm in the process of adding the glazing, and will start to mask in readiness for a pretty complex paint job when you throw in pre-shade, aluminium base coat, hairspray and then this:

7.jpg

There is some debate on Aussie forums around whether the starboard interior green patch is correct, or whether it should be plywood - I'm leaning with the latter. What I initially assumed from my earlier photo was wear on the starboard wing root, appears to be paint scorching from the exhaust - another weathering challenge. Although it's been a fight thus far she's an interesting little beast - I'm sure it'll all be fine!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KayFranz said:

Can you give an exact link?

Hi Kay,

This is as far as I chose to follow, but I'm sure you can follow the bouncing ball,

Cheers,

Roger

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14122

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great update Roger wow this has progressed quickly, j am impressed fella.  The model on the Aussie forum looks fantastic.  How did the engine go in , did you need to widen the fuselage at all?

Chris

Chris,

Thanks mate - I think I probably jumped a bit! Engine was fiddly as, but as I'd cut the cylinders short it was all fine :penguin:

I'm just referring to the Aussie forum - certainly not of my doing (I wish!). This is probably as challenging as the Maryland I did this year - but if they were all easy it would be boring, right?!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Thanks mate - I think I probably jumped a bit! Engine was fiddly as, but as I'd cut the cylinders short it was all fine :penguin:

I'm just referring to the Aussie forum - certainly not of my doing (I wish!). This is probably as challenging as the Maryland I did this year - but if they were all easy it would be boring, right?!

Cheers,

Roger

Great job on getting it in okay fella, I  may have to  visit mine soon and look to have a go.  Although must do my Twins thread first. Are you sure it's not your work under your alter ego like Clark Kent, Peter Parker and such!!!😉

Keep up the great work. 

Chris

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on getting it in okay fella, I  may have to  visit mine soon and look to have a go.  Although must do my Twins thread first. Are you sure it's not your work under your alter ego like Clark Kent, Peter Parker and such!!!😉

Keep up the great work. 

Chris

Ha ha - thanks Chris. I have no idea why but today I broke an SH Fairey Fulmar out from the stash. She's washed and ready to go, and based on @moaning dolphin 's awesome build of a few years ago I've decided to split the wings. I'm also going to 3D print the wing split parts. Aaaand I'm going to restart my stalled Tarpon build with 3D printed wingroots! 

So here goes a @corsaircorp style build, as soon as I finish this one! Is it holiday madness? Perhaps...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello Roger...

The chance for the waloon to get it finished ahead are classified as "Non extent"

Multi builds is really funny, but I think that I get a bit too much fun...

I took the resolution to NOT start another thread in 2021 and now, you're tempting me with Fulmars !!

For the wing fuselage joint I think that a bit of plastic shim will help.

And I will let the shim a bit forward of the edge, That way sanding will be easier... My token...

Vewy good job my Austwalian Fwiend, Vewy good job indeed !!

Now, you are 3 weeks at least ahead of me !!!:rofl2:

sincewely !!

CCus

Why did I look the life of Brian once again ???:rofl2:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger...

The chance for the waloon to get it finished ahead are classified as "Non extent"

Multi builds is really funny, but I think that I get a bit too much fun...

I took the resolution to NOT start another thread in 2021 and now, you're tempting me with Fulmars !!

For the wing fuselage joint I think that a bit of plastic shim will help.

And I will let the shim a bit forward of the edge, That way sanding will be easier... My token...

Vewy good job my Austwalian Fwiend, Vewy good job indeed !!

Now, you are 3 weeks at least ahead of me !!!:rofl2:

sincewely !!

CCus

Why did I look the life of Brian once again ???:rofl2:

I will not make CC start another multi-build

CC - how about another multi-build of early-mid war FAA aircraft including a Fulmar?

Fail

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Dunny said:

CC - how about another multi-build of early-mid war FAA aircraft including a Fulmar?

Fail

Yes you will ... 😉

• Haha 2

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Boomerang today! First of all I masked up the clear components and then gave the canopy a squirt of interior green:

20201229-112846.jpg

Once I'd done that I gave the whole thing a squirt of primer - this showed up a couple of imperfections which required correction:

20201229-115952.jpg

Now I don't normally do this, but this is quite a complex (for me) paint scheme:

20201229-115753.jpg

With hairspray, gloss coats, Flory wash and matt coat that's 13 different coats.

20201229-115824.jpg

Make that 14 :banghead:

Here's preshading, for which I used RLM66 rather than the usual Nato Black, as I was worried about bleed through the white:

20201229-123401.jpg

Here's the 'plywood' (actually used mid-stone, which I'll brush coat with thinned Smoke Brown oil after the main paint has gone down):

20201229-123953.jpg

It looks a bit garish in the photo, but works pretty well in real life - I've used the same combo on previous builds so I know it works. Next I laid down the white - some orange peel but managed to get rid of the worst of it (I hate spraying white!) :poo:

20201229-130947.jpg

Here's the 'plywood' patch masked up - the scheme shows an irregular shape to it which I've duplicated:

20201229-132220.jpg

The next step was masking up the white, which took some time:snail:

20201229-143624.jpg

You can see that I'm spraying the roundels using a Montex mask set. Here's the roundel blue sprayed - beautifully in comparison to the white:

20201229-144708.jpg

Now the aircraft codes are in Sky Blue the same as the underside, so I had a look at the sheet for the requisite QE*Y codes:

20201229-144818.jpg

Hmmm - the Montex mask set is clearly for another boxing. Not to worry, there was clearly another 4 Sqn aircraft represented, so at least I've got the QE. I'll make up the Y using Tamiya tape - straight lines, what could possibly go wrong! :headbang:

That's the state of progress so far today - I might post again later as I'm on a roll (you lucky lucky people :cwl:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent progress Roger, great work.   Ghis is really coming on now.  Can't wait to see the camo colours go on and the unmasking. 

Chris

Cheers Chris,

After nearly binning this several times I'm now glad I've persisted. Further post to follow - watch this Boomerang-shaped space!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Meeep Meeeep !!

Wow, That's a real good progress Roger !!

Nice little thing.

Spraying white is really difficult, To date, the best I got (aftrer a lot of trials) is the AK lacquers...

Which one did you used ??

IMG_20201228_213231

Cheers !!

CC