1:48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang

Dunny

Hi All

Encouraged challenged when I'd had too much red wine by the Naughty Corner ( @corsaircorp @bigbadbadge you should be ashamed of yourselves), I'm adding another RAAF type to my current Airacobra build, which you can see here:

Soooo, diving headlong into my first multi-build, the same week I start a new job - what could possibly go wrong? :poo:

I'm going to be building Special Hobby's 1:48 Boomerang. I have to admit much ignorance when it comes to this type, so I look forward to learning more as the build progresses. I have no doubt that my Aussie brethren will know much more than I on this interesting subject and I will surely draw on their collective knowledge. The evolution of the aircraft is interesting, as it was the first fighter aircraft designed and manufactured by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in Fisherman's Bend, VIC. The design of the aircraft was derivative of the Wirraway trainer aircraft, itself a locally-manufactured variant of the NA-16 Harvard. The design used the R-1830 Twin Wasp, which was manufactured locally to power Australian-made Beauforts. The first prototype flew within 3 months of receiving an order to proceed, a real testament to Aussie ingenuity and agility. The type was produced from 1942-5, and although underpowered and slower than contemporaries acquitted itself well in the ground attack and close support roles, and was well liked by its pilots.

Anyway, on to the kit. Here's the box art:

1.jpg

I'm going to be building mostly OOB, with the exception of a set of Montex masks for the insignia and national markings:

2.jpg

As I've found with most SH kits, a bit of scratch-building here and there can enhance, so I'll se what crops up. Here's the sprue shots:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

A bit of flash on the sprues, but the detail looks good, and transparencies are nice and thin. There's also a lovely bag of resin parts:

6.jpg

There's some lovely detail in here - the wheels, pilot's seat and radiator cooling gills are all beautifully cast.

I'm going to be modelling the cover scheme, A46-199 'Home James' of 4 Sqn RAAF, based in New Guinea in 1944, flown by Fl Lt Jack Archer. Here's a couple of shots of the aircraft:

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

You can see in the second shot that there's some significant wear around the wing root, so it looks like the wife's hairspray's going to take another battering! 🤣 There is also a patch of what the instructions say is interior green just below the sliding section of the canopy (this is also shown in the instructions and I'm guessing is a locally-effected paint repair).

Here's the colour scheme - Earth Brown and Foliage Green over Sky Blue (at least the blue will be in common with the Airacobra!!) I'll be using the excellent Lifecolor RAAF WW2 paint set, which was almost made for this very build! 

7.jpg

8.jpg

Anyway, that's all for now - we've got a family barbeque this afternoon to celebrate my new job (yours truly cooking, of course)! :penguin:

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Changed 'Dark Earth' to 'Earth Brown'
  • Like 11

Very nice Roger.  I gave read that there could be some fit issues with the engine and cowling and wing spar section of the U/C bay too . I think it's a case of test fitting and some thinning.

Be a great build i am sure.

Enjoy the BBQ and congratulations for your new job.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice Roger.  I gave read that there could be some fit issues with the engine and cowling and wing spar section of the U/C bay too . I think it's a case of test fitting and some thinning.

Be a great build i am sure.

Enjoy the BBQ and congratulations for your new job.

Chris

Chris,

All very good tips - thanks for that. BBQ was great, and very excited by new job!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

I've got this in the stash, so I'm keen to see how you go.

Good to have you aboard sir!

• Like 1

Hello Roger !!

Congratulations for your new job !! I wish you the best of success !!

Sooo, you cook too?? 

Another common fact since, I cook on a daily basis for my family !!

I'll go back in my attic for getting another WiP started :evil_laugh:

You'll see multri builds are funny, if one thing became a bit boring, or if you need that pesky something....

Hop !! You'll jump on the other build and you came back to the first with a brand new fresh mind and enthusiasm...

Now, I must confess that I pushed the concept a bit too far but....

I also use the Life colors paints, I've the 2 boxes, who know what will be necessary...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger !!

Congratulations for your new job !! I wish you the best of success !!

Sooo, you cook too?? 

Another common fact since, I cook on a daily basis for my family !!

I'll go back in my attic for getting another WiP started :evil_laugh:

You'll see multri builds are funny, if one thing became a bit boring, or if you need that pesky something....

Hop !! You'll jump on the other build and you came back to the first with a brand new fresh mind and enthusiasm...

Now, I must confess that I pushed the concept a bit too far but....

I also use the Life colors paints, I've the 2 boxes, who know what will be necessary...

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you Alain - I'm very excited by the new job. Yes I do much of the cooking in our house and enjoy it (I think the girls do too - I'm surrounded by a wife, 2 daughters and a female dog). 

I love the Lifecolors paints  - although thick in the pot they thin down well and spray easily. I've not yet done a full RAAF scheme so this will put them to the test.

Can't wait to see your Airacobracrocapig get running!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just marking my place, will go back to the beginning and start again properly soon.

The Boomerang has the same sort of attraction for me as the Buffalo, not very pretty and completely outclassed by the opposition, but has a certain ‘ je ne sais quoi ‘.

john

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Just marking my place, will go back to the beginning and start again properly soon.

The Boomerang has the same sort of attraction for me as the Buffalo, not very pretty and completely outclassed by the opposition, but has a certain ‘ je ne sais quoi ‘.

john

Good to have you aboard John!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Well Roger !!

The third bird on the thread will be build soon !!

Now how much time this "soon" is meaning is another matter,

You'll surely finish your far ahead of mine !!

Sincerely.

CC

Hi All,

What with a busy first week in new job, I've had much less bench time than when I was on gardening leave! I've made some progress on the Boomerang. There is a fair bit of flash on the sprues. The fuselage is particularly affected, with the worst shown below:

9.jpg

Most of it is easily trimmed with a sharp scalpel, but this lump required some razor saw action! Limited run kit with soft mould tools I suspect is the cause. Here's after:

10.jpg

It looks as if the back of the IP will be visible, so I'll drill out the instruments to accept lead wire. Before:

11.jpg

And after. I left a couple well alone as they were too small to drill out - no-one will ever know 🤣

12.jpg

Here's all the resin bits ('a Porcupine of resin'?) under a coat of primer:

13.jpg

I then painted all of the interior parts. I've seen various references to silver lacquered interior, as well as interior green and interior grey-green. The only photos seem to be of restored aircraft, so I've opted for RAF interior grey green. Here's the fuselage halves:

14.jpg

Next I'll look at the engine. I did have a look for some colour references. Although the below is clearly a restored engine, I'm going to go with it as it looks pretty reasonable:

R-1830-IWM-1.jpg

I've painted the engine parts but will post some further photos when assembled. That's all for today!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 5

Hello Roger !!

Very well done !!

Flash here, flash there, the way I called the kit "Gordon"

I 've had the same ones.... 

You're still ahead, but I'm on your heels !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Just now, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger !!

Very well done !!

Flash here, flash there, the way I called the kit "Gordon"

I 've had the same ones.... 

You're still ahead, but I'm on your heels !!

Sincerely.

CC

For all the flash there's also some lovely resin detail, typical SH! Enjoy...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start Roger am keen to see this progress, I think mine has some flash too, But still looks a cracking kit.

Glad you got through your first week in the new job.

Chris

Cheers Chris! I think it could be a cracker of a kit - the undercarriage bays look suspiciously bare to my eye so some further investigation required, methinks. Back to week 2 tomorrow (and looking forward to it!),

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Yes the area of the U/C bays goes onto the back of the engine mount area so may need busying up a bit.  I will try and locate a cracking build article and see what this says.

Glad you are enjoying the new job fella, trouble is work gets in the way of modelling!!!

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Yes the area of the U/C bays goes onto the back of the engine mount area so may need busying up a bit.  I will try and locate a cracking build article and see what this says.

Glad you are enjoying the new job fella, trouble is work gets in the way of modelling!!!

Chris

Any info gratefully received - I've drawn a blank thus far...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been a busy few weeks, and the demands of a new job and family commitments have left very little time (or mojo). However I've had a very pleasant few hours today working on the Boomerang. I started by painting all of the interior green parts I'd missed first time round :banghead:. Here's the PE section mounted to the lower wing:

20201108-115456.jpg

Next I moved onto the small porthole windows in the the fuselage. I quickly dispensed with the kit parts as they were a poor fit - not to worry, out with the Krystal Kleer:

20201108-123355.jpg

Once I'd done a bit more assembly I gave the whole lot another coat of interior green. This shot was taken before detail painting:

20201108-125405.jpg

I'll do the detail painting next time. I then moved on to the engine. Here's a shot of a restored Twin Wasp (copyright IWM):

R-1830-IWM-1.jpg

That's what I'll be aiming for. The kit engine is resin and presents as a central casing and 16 separate cylinders. I painted the casing Ocean Grey as this seemed to be a reasonable colour match. Here's the first row of cylinders mounted:

20201108-151604.jpg

Aaand the second:

20201108-154839.jpg

Anyone else who is constructing this engine should take care to remove the cylinders right at the join with the casting block. Any higher and you will be left with no location for the join to the casing - ask me how I know.:poo: Anyway, no real harm done. 

That's all for today - thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good to see you back on this Roger.  Good progress and the engine is coming on well.  Have you tested the upper wing parts yet? 

Keep up the good work

Chris 

Good to be back on deck Chris - it's been a busy few weeks! I've dry-fitted the wings and they look ok, but will proceed very carefully on fitment to the fuselage,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1