Ursula's end

M3talpig

How too for those interested...................... small chain ....hope this makes sense:D

first cut two equal lengths of wire....i'm using 0.3 for this demo as it will be easier to photo......but the finer you go the better.

spacer.png

next fold the pieces in half

spacer.png

now place the pieces in a vice or anchor in a way that means both your hands are free and you can pull on the wire. Splay the wire as shown

spacer.png

now you need to platt the wire front to back and left to right......front 1 to back 2 ......left 3 to right 4 keep repeating these steps over and over

spacer.png

And this is what you end up with ...once a dark wash has been applied it's very hard to tell the difference especially as the scale of the wire gets finer......for all the chains on the Panther i will be using nichrome 80 wire at 40+ gauge to get a really fine chain for the tools

spacer.png

hope this helps 

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 8

Needed a break from zimmerit...so i'm doing the tracks ....well one ...then back to the zimmerit and finally the last track...then it's on to scratchin the tool holders and spare track holders on the rear superstructure.

spacer.png

• Like 11

So having received my second warning from  @Jasper dog regarding my replies to your work Steve all I can say is.......err.......well not bad like........tracks look reasonably well put together.........I think your making reasonable progress mate.......might not look to bad when finished.....🙄👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Andy J said:

.......err.......well not bad like........tracks look reasonably well put together.........I think your making reasonable progress mate.......might not look to bad when finished.....

easy easy i can't deal with all that praise Andy my my my head it's swelling .....you see what you did now i can't fit my optivisor on now :D

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

easy easy i can't deal with all that praise Andy my my my head it's swelling .....you see what you did now i can't fit my optivisor on now :D

Sorry Steve but I fear the red card treatment if I don't reign in the brown nose approach 🙄

• Haha 3

Psssst Steve .......as the Fuhrer doesn't seem to be around atm any chance of a signed track link please 🙏......Oh and I've toned down the end of my nose with a little titanium white more of a sandy look to it now 🙂

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Andy J said:

Psssst Steve .......as the Fuhrer doesn't seem to be around atm any chance of a signed track link please 🙏......Oh and I've toned down the end of my nose with a little titanium white more of a sandy look to it now 🙂

For you tommy ze war is over...

Just because he doesn't seem to be around doesn't mean he isn't, think of him as the omnipotent being. 

Who's got a power complex....

(No idea how I've got into the position of referring to myself in the third person either...)

• Haha 5

Final drives fitted and all the torsion bars are in, tracks are done although the track pins keep working there way out so im gonna get the punch out and cap each pin.

A job that needs to be done anyway since in their infinite wisdom Fruil decided to make the pin holes on the tracks insert from the same side regardless of which side the track is for ...... meaning on the track for the right side of the vehicle you get the hex head of the track pin visible but on the left side you see were you inserted the pin but no detail...so capping will serve two goals 

The zimmerit has been started again ...half way down the right side at the moment and finished the bow plate earlier. The photos make the zimmerit look heavy but in person it's barely as thick as a sheet of paper.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

that zimmerit looks a right pain to do

It is a pain but really isn't hard just time consuming

37 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That zimmerit looks absolutely fantastic, not something I have tried before nor is it something I am looking forward to trying either.

This particular pattern is fairly forgiving because it does in fact look awful in real life too :D i would have to be far more careful if i were doing say a King Tiger which had a far more tidy application.

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Cant wait to see some paint on her !!

That sadly won't be happening for a good while yet :(

• Like 3

Only a small update as the work i'm doing now is as much about pouring over pictures as it is actually modeling.

Ursula is a mid production Ausf A so some changes have had to be made, the rear deck shows some field modifications that i need more info on, but she also displays certain damage that was not all caused when she was ambushed.

So first off she only has one rear storage bin and the exhaust on the right rear has been sheared off at the armoured cover...this has been like that for a while judging by the exhaust staining on the rear hull.....also the engine fire has destroyed most of the zimmerit on the rear, just the very lower part still shows zimmerit the rest of the rear plate shows the ghost marks of the zim before it fell off. This will be replicated.

The remaining bin has been scratched in lead foil so i can realistically dent it, the exhaust mods are ongoing, the new brackets have been roughed out in copper so they can be distorted and once cleaned up will have all the relevant bolt detail added, the pipes themselves need to be drilled out and thinned, the broken pipe will be paid some extra attention as it would appear it rotted through before breaking.

I also have lots of various hanging brackets and such to fabricate from the missing bin....and those of you with eagle eyes will have noticed a couple of unit only mods.....a jerrycan rack above the right rear radiator grill and a spare wheel was also carried either on the engine deck or bolted to the left side rear......these are going to represent a bit of a problem as i don't have clear reference to either and as i said these are mods done to these particular vehicles.

Also worthy of note is the spare track and the unit particular way they carried extra track pins stuffed into the guide horns. and on the subject of track you will also note that the chevrons on the tracks are completely worn of with only slight marks showing they were ever there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

I remember someone saying to me not to long ago the more time spent on a part the better the end result 😉. Maybe this work seems a little tedious atm but the end result will definitely make it worth while especially where your concerned 👍. Now I'm aware that @Jasper dog will be monitoring my replies so .........I expected more progress Steve this simply won't do.......less reading more modeling sir....I hope the next update will be worth my viewing time.......time to get your finger out....🙂👍

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

.I expected more progress Steve this simply won't do.......less reading more modeling sir....I hope the next update will be worth my viewing time.......time to get your finger out....

Honestly i get enough of this bullhonkey from the other two........ now you as well ...i new they were a bad influence :D

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Is it all superglued together

Yes but only three seams as most of it i cut as a single piece and just folded into shape...still have to cut the opening at the top, fabricate the hatch cover and do the hinges and locks for it ...you wouldn't believe how fragile it was to put together but now it's done it's surprisingly sturdy

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Honestly i get enough of this bullhonkey from the other two........ now you as well ...i new they were a bad influence :D

Well if you can't beat em ..........🙂👍

• Haha 1