Ursula's end

M3talpig

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

I have a feeling that this might be something special in the grand reveal, looking forward to seeing more fella, will you be mounting the figures on wood or cork ? 
:whistle:

Thought i might give the forests of the world a bit of a rest and use cork....some people have no conscience about the natural world :whistle:

25 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Can’t wait for the next instalment!

Thanks Simon

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This looks like it is going to be a superb build, with some great research and attention to detail.

And rest assured I will not be taking over the GB, my kit hasn't even arrived yet!

ALL HAIL OUR MINION OVERLORD..........Thanks bud :king:

• Haha 4

Ok so the section of sponson was removed and the area was squared up and then cleaned up, the replacement had to be cut just a little longer than the gap left so that once distorted it would still join at either end.

Of course on the real vehicle the blast would have stretched the metal....blowing up my model seemed a little extreme :D

spacer.pngspacer.png

The new piece is in , joined with a little MIG cyano then the join was cleaned.

The pieces of plasticard you see in the pic are the start of the ammo racks for the exposed edge of the sponson, the pic i showed in the previous update you can see the racks (or at least what was left of them) but it also shows part of the wiring loom so that also needs to be replicated.

and finally the hanger brackets on the underside for the schurzen skirts need to be done.....all 14 of em, the marks on the copper are the position of the ammo rack frames and the three holes at the back are were the rivets burst out from the explosion.

Once all this is done i will box in this section so there will be no light creep.

spacer.png

Will update with pics when this part is finished....then it's on to zimmerit:boom:

• Like 12

3 hours ago, SimonT said:

Excellent metal work again, shaping up nicely with great attention to detail. Are you going to use the green stuff for the zim? Do you have a roller already?

Honestly Simon ...i'm not sure :confused:...gonna have a practice later today hopefully. But i must say that would give me a lot of working time and the ability to work in entire sections at once and that stuff rolls out as thin as rizla paper.

The downside is to roll it that thin it has to have a non stick element added to it (talc) which is exactly what you don't want if doing zim.... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

it has to have a non stick element added to it (talc) which is exactly what you don't want if doing zim.... 

Yes, I see your point, hadn’t considered that, damn, that’s my plan out the window...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Yes, I see your point, hadn’t considered that, damn, that’s my plan out the window...

I'm still gonna give it a try ...thinking a wash with a little white spirit on the side to adhere to the surface may be just enough to get it to stick....either way i will post result Simon.

• Like 3

As we know zimmerit is a messy business...so i went at it with three possible candidates for the finish..........

Greenstuff has a rubber like quality and so was too smooth and uniform with no granulation too it. It also sticks to everything even with water as a lubricant........  Plus point you would be able to cover an entire side and will remain workable for some hours after allowing for adjustment

Humbrol putty thinned and applied with a brush was damn near a perfect match for the zimmerit...a granulated texture and being easy to place the pattern once left to partially set...this will be the method i will use. The only drawback to this method is that only very small areas at a time can be attempted as the filler will dry to fast otherwise

I did try MIG acrylic putty but this has the same drawback as Humbrol with the added bummer of just not sticking to the surface of the plastic so not an option

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

I didn't photo the acrylic as the result looked identical to the Humbrol but just flaked of at the rub of a finger.

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, SimonT said:

What did you thin the Humbrol putty with?

What else but Humbrol thinner......tried white spirit but that curdled the putty..... The humbrol stuff must be distilled differently to white spirit

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to this one Steve.......a KO AFV has been in the back of my mind for some time. I'm interested in how you tackle some of the problems of the cracked and damaged armour.....I like the use of the copper sheet.....must get some......keep posting super detail updates mate......making plenty of notes here...

Regards

Simon

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Looking forward to this one Steve.......a KO AFV has been in the back of my mind for some time. I'm interested in how you tackle some of the problems of the cracked and damaged armour.....I like the use of the copper sheet.....must get some......keep posting super detail updates mate......making plenty of notes here...

Yeah lots to think about......split weld seams, shattered zimmerit, crooked armour seams, bowed and bent plates, shrapnel damage not to mention all the small differences that were carried out in the field workshops to the base vehicle itself........ and the painting and weathering is always on the back of my mind...probably the one part that really could make or break it...the rest is just model making.

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Humbrol putty thinned and applied with a brush was damn near a perfect match for the zimmerit...a granulated texture and being easy to place the pattern once left to partially set...this will be the method i will use. The only drawback to this method is that only very small areas at a time can be attempted as the filler will dry to fast otherwise

Sounds like a plan, probably best not to be too accurate in copying the original though....doubt it would stand the burning process!

Good luck, if anyone can pull it off....

Damaged racks can just be seen ...still have the exposed wiring loom to do will be there by the morning....also gonna rough the edges of the burst lower sponson to look like split weld seam and finish the penetration point with some putty.

Location points for the schurzen brackets are done made with lead foil. Next finish anything that needs to go into the upper hull from the underside then join the two halves.....then the bit i'm not looking forward to mapping the zimmerit.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png 

• Like 10

That my friend is commitment to the build, cracking on at 4am.

Nice to know in the wee small hours of the morning somewhere out there, across the wind swept moor a candle flickers in a lonely garret window casting a pool of light on a hunched figure, red of face furiously bashing away at his latest masterpiece.

You will conform to my will he screams triumphantly brandishing his battered sponson aloft...

And he is done, the weary warrior triumphant in his quest is spent, drained of all that is in him, he lays his tool down and rests. The throbbing, swollen digit still pulses to remind him of past triumphs however the the dawn of a new day is but hours away and he needs his rest to sustain him for the next engagement that must surely come.....The candle is extinguished as the first rays of dawn cast long shadows across the field of battle, his spent offerings spattered across the bench each and everyone a testament to his commitment and servitude to the self abuse he has endured all in the name of ....

He stirs at the the sound of footsteps below and a fair maidens voice calls up to him  "Steve, fetch your Capri pants down you stained yesterday, we'll wash those with your pantaloons. I hope you haven't been at that all night she continues, what have we said before about playing all night, you know how sore you get and you're good for nothing the day after".

"Do that again and we'll have to put your reins back on."

He turns his back on his zimmerit trials,  tomorrow there will be succes he mutters to himself as he closes the door and turns the key to his playroom.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice to know in the wee small hours of the morning somewhere out there, across the wind swept moor a candle flickers in a lonely garret window casting a pool of light on a hunched figure, red of face furiously bashing away at his latest masterpiece.

You will conform to my will he screams triumphantly brandishing his battered sponson aloft...

And he is done, the weary warrior triumphant in his quest is spent, drained of all that is in him, he lays his tool down and rests. The throbbing, swollen digit still pulses to remind him of past triumphs however the the dawn of a new day is but hours away and he needs his rest to sustain him for the next engagement that must surely come.....The candle is extinguished as the first rays of dawn cast long shadows across the field of battle, his spent offerings spattered across the bench each and everyone a testament to his commitment and servitude to the self abuse he has endured all in the name of ....

He stirs at the the sound of footsteps below and a fair maidens voice calls up to him  "Steve, fetch your Capri pants down you stained yesterday, we'll wash those with your pantaloons. I hope you haven't been at that all night she continues, what have we said before about playing all night, you know how sore you get and you're good for nothing the day after".

He turns his back on his zimmerit trials,  tomorrow there will be succes he mutters to himself as he closes the door and turns the key to his playroom.

Well.... That, brought a tear to my eye, you Silver Tongued Devil, You !! :D

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Blown out wiring done....... not an exact copy but a good representation i thought

And that ? Well that make me want to take up knitting !!.... 

Awesome work, Steve !!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

That sir.....i say that sir .......is a goddamn work of literary art and would (if it was a thing ) get comment of the year...seriously i had tears :cwl: 

• Thanks 1

O-yeah, should have said, magnificent work fella!

I dislike the use of the word awesome but in this instance its entirely appropriate!

Another all nighter bashing away at the bench?

Good job you've your optivisor.....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Another all nighter bashing away at the bench?

yeah in here now ...... laying some colour into the damaged area as once the hull is joined painting will be impossible

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Good job you've your optivisor.....

just bought a new one that allows you to double up the lenses...made figure painting so much easier

• Like 2