Ursula's end

M3talpig

I hope this is allowed, i have been researching Panthers all week and felt i was taking the easy route with the Sotnikov Panther as my goal for this GB was always to depict a knocked out Panther.

I changed my mind initially because the vehicle i was planning on had it's turret blown off and given the time limit i didn't think i had time to do such a complicated build the justice it deserved, i simply can't afford 60-70 pounds for a kit with full interior and so a lot of scratch building would have been necessary.

So a compromise....i really want to do a knocked out Panther, i want the challenge of a cooked of vehicle and the paint and weathering that a project like that will involve.

Now having taken the time to dig through all my photos books and online searches i have found the perfect subject....as many of you will know there are many many pictures of destroyed Panthers but few were cataloged and pictured from multiple angles leaving a lot of the vehicle subject to pure guesswork

i don't mind that for the most part but for whatever reason i really wanted a subject i could get my teeth into and make as accurate as possible.

And so i give you Ursula

Ursula had a grim end (is there any other sort) but for Ursula it was more grim than most........

belonging to stab l/Pz.Rgt 6 and assigned to the Pz- Lehr Division in Normandy she and most of her company were knocked out Just north of Le Dezert on July 11th 1944

Ambushed by an M10 of the U.S 899th Tank Destroyer Battalion she took a shot through the left side sponson almost dead centre of the vehicle, this shot set of the magazine and would have killed the crew almost instantly, pretty standard end for a fighting vehicle your thinking.

Well what make Ursula's end a little more disturbing was the fact she had tank riders on board as she was ambushed. I won't go into to much detail here but what the U.S engineers found when they came to retrieve the wreck was testament to the violence of her demise.

I won't be modeling the dead on board Ursula (even i have limits) but as she was photographed from every conceivable angle and as grizzley as it is....... it is a history and not all history is happy it is also a very interesting subject as a vehicle.

This is the only photo of Ursula i'm willing to post as the close up shots are a little much for a family friendly forum

And i hope you enjoy my build.

spacer.png

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No It is allowed as you say not all history is pretty. Please build Ursula to the level you feel comfortable.

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle i have marked my original post to the mods for removal so as to not clutter the build area.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No It is allowed as you say not all history is pretty. Please build Ursula to the level you feel comfortable.

I wonder if this part of history was ever happy anyway. When you just read the report of encounters and compare participant numbers and casualties afterwards. It was Mostly young men on any side.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 7

Thumbs up from me mate👍

Great choice, I've been hoping you'd do a KO one ever since you suggested it a while ago.

And you've chosen to avoid the AK level of insensitivity too....

Possibly just me but now you've hinted at the background I'm curious to look it up..

Must go, sure Lee @Longbow must have finished his Ausf G by now and be in need of some sort of tranquilizer, are they called downers..?

He was terribly eager, placing bets on how many Panthers he finishes before the GB ends? (I'll start the ball rolling with an opening gambit of 5)

Good luck, as if you'll need it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

I wonder if this part of history was ever happy anyway. When you just read the report of encounters and compare participant numbers and casualties afterwards. It was Mostly young mean on any side.

No there wasn't many smiles to be had from that period.... but i also didn't want people to think i was peeing on the parade ......so to speak ...... you know picking something so serious in nature.

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Must go, sure Lee @Longbow must have finished his Ausf G by now and be in need of some sort of tranquilizer, are they called downers..?

I think some kind of horse tranq might do ....in fact just spike his coffee and we might all get a chance before he finishes his entire company of M.A.N Panthers.....I'll take that bet by the way ....32 yeah 32....16 week build two a week .............. 32 :cwl:

• Haha 4

Possibly just me but now you've hinted at the background I'm curious to look it up..

https://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=514  

Start half way down the page at the section"western attack" it explains the action itself........in this they don't identify the individual vehicles but with cross reference you can find the individual tanks ....... i used both panzerwrecks books and flickr to look up more photos and at some point Facebook and Google images was used.

Named Panthers included in that action were lead vehicle Ursula,Elna,Ingrid,Gerde,Hessia and Christel there were others (obviously) but names were either not recorded or obliterated by damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thumbs up from me mate👍

Great choice, I've been hoping you'd do a KO one ever since you suggested it a while ago.

And you've chosen to avoid the AK level of insensitivity too....

He was terribly eager, placing bets on how many Panthers he finishes before the GB ends? (I'll start the ball rolling with an opening gambit of 5)

Good luck, as if you'll need it!

:D

Oi !! I followed the rules, and just woke up after a long nap !!

I’ve also been called in to work, as unfortunately COVID seems to be on the uptick here. :(

So I’ll probably make a start later today ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

No there wasn't many smiles to be had from that period.... but i also didn't want people to think i was peeing on the parade ......so to speak ...... you know picking something so serious in nature.

I think some kind of horse tranq might do ....in fact just spike his coffee and we might all get a chance before he finishes his entire company of M.A.N Panthers.....I'll take that bet by the way ....32 yeah 32....16 week build two a week .............. 32 :cwl:

Looking forward to the build, Steve !!

Ursula is a good choice !!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

as unfortunately COVID seems to be on the uptick here.

Jeez dude horse tranqs would have done....ain't that going a bit far of the deep end...............................seriously stay safe bud

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Jeez dude horse tranqs would have done....ain't that going a bit far of the deep end...............................seriously stay safe bud

I’m good lol. I had it back in June, which is why they keep sending me :D

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Longbow said:

So I’ll probably make a start later today ;)

You weren't kidding either,  that's a hefty "start" you made.

So basically, you model, occasionally nap and go to work just to pay for more models...

Happy days!

Come on Steve, your being suspiciously quiet..... this isn't going to be a "edited highlights" build, we've had words on this before.....

It's not cricket as you well know!

Cheers bud

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

You weren't kidding either,  that's a hefty "start" you made.

So basically, you model, occasionally nap and go to work just to pay for more models...

Happy days!

Come on Steve, your being suspiciously quiet..... this isn't going to be a "edited highlights" build, we've had words on this before.....

Cheers bud

Why is Steve so quiet ??!!

I’m a keepin’ gettin’ images of Gru and his Minions plotting to take over the Group Build !! :D

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Why is Steve so quiet ??!!

I’m a keepin’ gettin’ images of Gru and his Minions plotting to take over the Group Build !! :D

Let me just check, you're suggesting Steve looks like Gru or a minion?? :giggle:

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Let me just check, you're suggesting Steve looks like Gru or a minion?? :giggle:

I may have called him, Kevin, in my head.... A couple times...

Just sayin’.... 

Puttin’ it out there... like...

:D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Sorry just finishing up a few bits......... but research is happening :D

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

I'm going to take over the world Pinky:devil:

:cwl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build has started...first up is mapping of the damage to the left sponson, as you can see from the pic Ursula took a hit mid point of the hull and the lower sponson was blown out up to the engine fire wall, so this will need to be simulated on the model.

I started by building most of the lower hull and leaving the left sponson off dry fitting the upper hull and then marking the damaged area as well as the shell strike.

Next i will cut out the area of the sponson that is deformed and replace with a sheet of either brass or copper and this will give me the freedom to bend the area as accurately as possible and have the possibility of fine adjustment that wouldn't be possible with heating plastic and deforming that way.

This shot from the M10 on the face of it seems quite a feet of gunnery that is until you realise the M10 was about 30-50ft to the left and at right angle of Ursula hidden between a building and hedgerow and Ursula and Elna drove right up to the M10 never seeing their attacker....must have been a hell of a shock to the crew of the M10 when they realised both Panthers were driving straight at them with no clue they were there.

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

Outstanding, just outstanding, pull this off mate and its going to be amazeballs!

Loving the background info about it too!

Almost feels I'm cheating doing a simple Dragon Panther in comparison. 

Well suitably inspired I must crack on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Yes mate some great info on that thread and links to further info........ cross that with google images and it's amazing how much is out there about the action itself and the vehicles involved......all i have done is read and study photos for the past three days...honestly bud i have been like a pig in poop...:D   Star also do the decals for ursula elna and the others which i have just ordered

• Like 2